Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know it says up to 5 cameras, but does that mean I can only view 5 simultaneously?? Or have only up to 5 record and save to the cloud?? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
cbl1
Tutor
Tutor

Its 5 original/pro cameras total per hub.

If you have multiple hubs/logins you can share cameras among them to have more than 5

Example:  I have 5 at my home and 5 at my vacation house.  But I can see all 10 under a single login by sharing my vacation home cameras with my home account.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@desertrat1981 wrote:
I know it says up to 5 cameras, but does that mean I can only view 5 simultaneously?? Or have only up to 5 record and save to the cloud?? Thanks.

The free plan supports 5 cameras. The base supports up to 15 cameras. Each base can stream up to 5 cameras at once, regardless of how many more you have synced to it. Multiple bases can be added. You can subscribe to paid plans to increase the number of cameras in your account or create multiple accounts, each with a different email address, to remain on the free plan for each account but have more than 5 cameras in total.

desertrat1981
Apprentice
Apprentice
I see, but keeping the free plan, will more than 5 cameras record?? e.g., I have 10 cameras, will all 10 record and can be viewed?? Thanks.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I said before, as long as you subscribe to a higher plan or use a second email address to create a second account so you can have 2 accounts, each with 5 cameras. Use Serttings, Grant Access from the second account to the first account's email address so all cameras are seen in one login.

Bgreenstone
Guide
Guide

I've got a similar situation where my Home is already maxxed out at 5 Arlo cameras, but I have a vacation home that I want to install some Arlo's in.  However, the last thing I need is another subscription service.  If I cheat it by creating a separate account for the Vacation Home and then share those cameras with my main account, will I still have access to the camera settings and will geofencing work?  Or, can I only do those if I'm physically logged into the account for those cameras?

Thanks,

-Brian

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

Well geofencing is broken at the moment, so that won't matter.

But when you have been granted access by the primary owner (your cheating email) georfencing is keyed off the app you are logged in with so it will work fine.

I don't know why Arlo says you can only have 5 cameras. If you have purchased a 2nd base station in my view you have already purchased the right to have another 5 cameras on your account. What difference does it make to them if it is sold to a new customer or to an existing customer? Besides the obvious "Because we arbitrarily decided so we can sell a subscription". The problem is Arlo as a company is horrible to their customers.

Bgreenstone
Guide
Guide

Yeah, I don't understand why they limit it to 5 either.  If I'm buying the hardware and it's free for 5 it should be free for the next 5 too.  It's a pain to have to have multiple accounts to bypass this restriction.

As for geofencing, it was broken for me a week or two ago, but seems to be working fine now after the recent update.

-Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's always been 5 cameras per account. It has nothing to do with bases - you can have as many of those as you want. A simple creation of another account gets you 5 more cameras and, yes, using Grant Access gets you all cameras in one login. It's not quite the same as the primary account for that system that has granted access, even with the acces privileges, but it's pretty close.