Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

High Traffic Area

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
danyl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Camera installed viewing the front of my house , we live 2nd house from the corner and its set to view the front entrance and the street including the intersection, we have 4 cameras set up around the property.

We are located in Chicago, ILL

1 looking East at the the rear entrance that records 50- 100 times a day usually 15-30 second videos

1 looking West on the North side of the building that records 10-25 times a day usually 15-30 second videos

1 looking West the South side of the building that records 10-25 times a day usually 15-30 second videos

Now our 4th Camera (Our Problem Child) ( See attached Picture)

This Camera is facing North East and records 700- 800 times a day 11 - 60 second videos, sometimes longer it works fine for 7 to 10 days then I get a KB Charging Fault.

We have replaced the Charger and the cable with Net Gear Original equipment , works fine again for 7 to 10 days then the KB fault re-appears,

We replaced the battery, again same issue works fine again for 7 to 10 days then the KB fault re-appears, 

W have had all 4 of our cameras in this same position again same issue works fine again for 7 to 10 days then the KB fault re-appears, 

We tried lowering the Camera originally it was at 10 feet we lowered to 8 feet again same issue works fine again for 7 to 10 days then the KB fault re-appears, 

Mind you the other 3 cameras are all at 10 feet and working properly.

This Camera just like the other 3 alway read 100 % charged and records perfectly every time, Today we un plugged the Camer and it dropped down to 90% in 24 hours , I am conviced these Cameras are not set up for High Volume Survelliance , I know these cameras work off of battery power when recording then revert back to charge mode or when its on stand by , I am convinced these cameras can not handle the constant switching back and forth and must have some sort of safety trigger that defaults to protect the Camera electronics, 

I spent 2 hours with Net-Gear Customer support today just to prove my theory is correct  I almost had them convinced to agree with mebut got transferred to a Supervisor which at this moment has me on hold LOL he claims he has to conuslt with his Team, I am wonderring if anyone has had a smiliar issue with a location being the villian, I really dont want to relocate it but my Son and I Have come up with our own solution.. I am sharring it below we are going to try it ths weekend

We figure the Camera usues about 10 % bttery life per day, so we ordered a Smart Plug and will program it to allow current to flow to the Battery for 5 hours once a week , we did a test and a battery from 30% will take about 5 hours to fully charge.. Over the top Yes, but we really like these Camera's and hope this works , we'll update our progress , Thanks for reading till the End I hope if anyone is experiencing this same problem that this may be a viable Option.... God Help us All....

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the camera is outdoors and there's no officially blessed outdoor charger with the proper seals, I'm guessing moisture is getting into a connection (at the camera?) causing the charging issue. Use of the solar panel would perhaps be a better choice. I would also rotate the camera so it doesn't get the street to reduce the number of videos.

As for the charging time, you may not be using the Netgear charger. You have tagged the system as a VMB3000 which is the original camera but you seem to be using a Pro camera which uses the battery cube. Is it a Pro or a Pro 2? The Pro 2 can be charged with a 5v charger but slower than with the proper charger which uses Qualcomm Quick Charge tech and supplies both 5v and 9v. A nearly dead battery should only take ~2.5 hours to fully charge.

danyl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the reply the Camera is an Arlo Pro, with the Cube Battery

at first we thought the same thing regarding the moisture, but all 4 cameras have the exact same 
charger and cable yet this is the only one that has the Charge Fault, as I stated in my original comment
all 4 cameras at one point or another have been installed at this location, they seem to function properly
in the other 3 locations ZERO issues, I am not sure about the solar charger  I don't  want to throw more
Money into a system I believe I will ultimately return for a full refund.....

I honestly believe they were not designed for high traffic areas, an update on my call to net gear, I spoke with a Supervisor
who was just as dumb-founded as was the first rep I spoke with, he claimed and I quote he is personally going to resolve
my issue claiming hi going to assemble a Team dedicated just to this issue , 
I tried really hard not to laugh... I'll update as situations / responses solidify... God Help us All
Notrab
Apprentice
Apprentice