Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Help with upgrading my system

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dgranum
Follower
Follower

I need to upgrade my arlo system to be able to keep it charged with solar panels.  I assume it means changing out my cameras to Arlo Pro 3 or Ultra.  Can I keep my router or do I have to change that as well?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dgranum wrote:

I need to upgrade my arlo system to be able to keep it charged with solar panels.  I assume it means changing out my cameras to Arlo Pro 3 or Ultra.  Can I keep my router or do I have to change that as well?

There is a solar panel for the Pro, Pro2 and Go cameras that you can purchase - https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/solar-panel.aspx

You'd need a different panel for the Pro3 and Ultra.

If you have the original WireFree with CR123 batteries you would need to get new cameras.  But you could go with Pro2s - you don't have to use the Pro3 or Ultra.

On the base station - there is some info here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

Rustedryder
Aspirant
Aspirant
If you have Arlo Pro now you won’t have to change anything out. If you have the Arlo original wire free cams, they do not have a port available to charge the RCR123A batteries.
I tried the solar charging system sold by Best Buy specifically for the Arlo Pro and Pro 2 products but quickly changed to a wired AC charging Cable sold by Wasserstein. Reason for the change, I kept getting “incompatible charging” messages mostly in the winter. I think the solar panel charging would work for you in a warm climate and in direct sunlight all day.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rustedryder wrote:
I think the solar panel charging would work for you in a warm climate and in direct sunlight all day.

I use the Ultra solar panel, and it works well for me even in the winter (I live a bit north of Boston MA).  

The battery won't charge if it's below freezing, so there are still some times in the winter when I need to bring it indoors for charging.  But overall it's working well - most days it's above freezing here when the sun is strongest.

But I don't have any experience with the Pro/Pro2 solar panel.