Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hallinmas
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo Pro cameras and just today my geofencing is not working. I am home and the app says that I am "In Zone", yet it is saying that the system is armed. I also noticed that Arlo Smart is not filtering, and it is allowing all motion for one of my cameras to come through when it should only be People. Is there a bug? Any help would be appreciated. I already tried unplugging the base station and restarting. Thanks!

932 REPLIES 932
dazednconfuzd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Whoops spoke too soon. Geofencing is working today.
Bah0482
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the exact symptoms as everyone else. Geofencing only works if i leave last and arrive home first. My wifes phone will not arm or disarm wven though it shows in or out of zone. Arlo had repsoned to me on facebook saying it is working again. As of tday 6/25 it still does not work for me

ependi_ependi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know for sure when the Geofencing problem with my arlo pro VMC4000 system, but since the last update  about a month ago on the base station unit (base station firmware update on saving time zone problems)  and android app., I also experienced armed and disarmed (Geofencing) mode problems.

ependi_ependi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know for sure when the Geofencing problem with my arlo pro VMC4000 system, but since the last update  about a month ago on the base station unit (base station firmware update on saving time zone problems)  and android app., I also experienced armed and disarmed (Geofencing) mode problems.

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you have both geo-fencing and scheduling in use, here is  a solution that has worked for me now for the past 5 days. I am unable to explain what they could have done to in this manner to impact it. I have geo-fencing active with my iPhone and my wifes iPhone is granted access with admin rights. I had a schedule as well. The times on this schedule are purely for example purposes. Previously the example schedule wa armed as follows:

10:30 pm to 12:00 am

12:00 am to 5:30 am

This covers the night before and rolls over to the next day.

After this has been broken for the past month here is the change I made.

10:30 pm to 11:59 pm

(1 minute gap)

12:00 am tp 5:30 am

The only change was to break the contigous schedule when rolling over days. Since that was done, mine has worked every time. I believe I have test all the combinations of who leaves first etc. but someone should check themselves to see your behavior. Also - as a special note of interest. I tried leaving a 2 minute gap - AND IT DID NOT WORK. Be interested to see if you have the same success. 

ependi_ependi
Aspirant
Aspirant

For the geofencing mode that I use is to create a new mode at home (i.e. deactivating the cameras in my bedroom) and not using time scheduled mode. 

Previously this Geofencing at home mode went smoothly (before the last Firmware update about a month ago).

However, thank you for the advice.

BruceTh
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve always had the one minute gap at midnight, ie finish at 11:59pm and start at 12:00am and geofencing is not working for me.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can't see any reason how the 1 minute gap would impact this either, but mine has worked since changing it unless they possibly changed something else. That is the problem with these Cloud systems. They can come in and put some of their

"Seagull droppings" on your system without your permission and reduce your system to total junk. 

RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Someone mentioned that requiring a one minute gap is a long standing glitch. It’s evidently not directly related.
n30
Guide
Guide

After going back and forth with a level 1 support tech via email the past couple weeks, I had a call with a level 2 tech yesterday. They simply asked me to confirm my problem - geofencing started working again on my phone, but not on my wife's phone whom has granted access (she gets zone in/out notifications but the custom modes don't change) - then they said it's a known issue with my geofencing/second device/custom mode configuration. So engineers or developers are apparently aware and working on it. They did not provide an ETA but added my case number to the issue. 

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I confirmed this morning that the 1 minute gap was not the problem. I couldn't see how that might be the cause but appeared to work. It was just the luck of circumstances that the last 4 days I was the last to leave and the first to run home. Since I am the account owner geo-fencing worked. I reversed that last night and the morning and I left first. Arlo did not arm. So it confirms that it is related to the granted account not being recognized by the geo-fencing. Will need to wait on Arlo to correct their Seagull dump that caused the problem.

Cance
Guide
Guide
Geofencing for granted access still not running. “How long is this been going on?”, Ace sing...
wsscott
Guide
Guide

Well mine seems to have been working for the last 2 days. I only have 1 Arlo Q camera, and no hub.  I have 2 iphones using it.  Mine is the main account, and my wife's is the authorized user with full rights, ie. she has been granted access rights and is not using an account in her name.  It arms when we both leave, and it disarms when we are all back home.  We can go out together or separately and it seems to work.  We'll see how long this lasts.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@wsscott wrote:

Well mine seems to have been working for the last 2 days. I only have 1 Arlo Q camera, and no hub.  I have 2 iphones using it.  Mine is the main account, and my wife's is the authorized user with full rights, ie. she has been granted access rights and is not using an account in her name.  It arms when we both leave, and it disarms when we are all back home.  We can go out together or separately and it seems to work.  We'll see how long this lasts.

Arlo Q and Q Plus cameras have been working fine.  The problem is with wireless cameras.  

wsscott
Guide
Guide

My Arlo Q is wireless, and I"ve been having geofencing problems for the last couple of months like everyone else.  Its only cleared up and started working 2 days ago.  So I think either my case is unique, or your information is inaccurate that Arlo Q cameras work fine. There is no ethernet connection for my camera.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@wsscott wrote:

My Arlo Q is wireless, and I"ve been having geofencing problems for the last couple of months like everyone else.  Its only cleared up and started working 2 days ago.  So I think either my case is unique, or your information is inaccurate that Arlo Q cameras work fine. There is no ethernet connection for my camera.

Sorry, my Q family cameras are working correctly so I mistakenly concluded that was a common experience.  When I said wireless, I meant battery operated.  The powered cameras appear to have all of the local camera logic in the camera rather than some on the base station and some on the camera.  I have a mixed of Wi-Fi and Cat-5 connected Q and Q Plus cameras...some are POE powered....some are wall powered directly.

Nephs03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Becuase of the complete failure of the Geofencing function when using secondary accounts, I have been using the workaround where I had all my family use my login (as the primary account) to log in to the Arlo app

Unfortunately, it has from yesterday also stopped working. Doesn't even recognise when the phone(s) are in or out of zone now.

@Arlo Support....I'm done! I'm fed up waiting for a fix, I'm fed up waiting for any kind of communication to acknowledge an issue or to even say it is being worked on.

I'm actively looking for a replacement system and this pile of "BEEP" will go up on eBay

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
I think your problem is/was unique.
I have both arlo pro and Q and the geo problems are only for my pro setup. Most likely due to something they pushed out to the base stations that Q do not have.
azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can't just be me that has this scenario.  I have two base stations with 3 cameras on one and three on the other.  Each base station has it's own account and they are shared so all my cameras show up on either login.  Geofencing up to about the last month has always worked correctly, when I and my wife both are out of the zone, both base stations arm themselves, when either one of us comes home, BOTH base stations disarm themselves.  That now has changed.  The base station that I am looged into or last logged into in my iPhone responds when I leave the premises or come back, the other one does not.  If I log into the other account and toggle armed and geofencing it then detects it correctly.  So, this is a SHARING issue.  I wonder if Arlo purposely changed this to force us into using subscriptions to get more cameras onto a single basestation.  I am using two base stations not just because I have 6 cameras but also because I need to strategically locate them to have a stronger signal for where they are located.

Does anyone have a similar setup and seeing the same behavior?  This is worked without issue for nearly 3 years but now I have to manually arm/disarm one base station when I leave or return home.  This is simply unacepptable for a system this expensive.

brettallen22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with my geofencing... I am not using any custom settings. I have my device and my girlfriends device enabled for the geofencing. The geofencing works perfect for me but the motion detect goes off everytime she is home and I am not. When I got into the Arlo app and into the geofencing settings, it shows that her device is "in-zone". Why would the motion detect be going off if she is in-zone and enabled on the geofencing setting? 

Thanks

sward6368
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well spoke to soon....  Wife got back in town yesterday - does properly show her device in or out of zone, but when I am out of zone if she leaves zone Geofencing will not always change zone to away (even though her device shows out of Zone).

Additional base station update yesterday didnt resolve (although again it required physical power cycling of base station to function after update....).  Seems Arlo cant get out of their own way to a) fix Geofencing or b) release firmware updates that done require being applied to continue to view camera live view and dont require physicially power cycling the base station to get to function after update.

RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just got a smart hub firmware update moments ago. They’re working on it.
JTDK
Tutor
Tutor

I have 4 enabled phones in the geofencing mode, but the geofencing function does not register when entering the zone or is outside. Sometimes they are registrered correctly, but mostly the devices are not recognized with the correct geofencing status. We are using a mix of Android and iPhone. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this problem? The geofencing function is more or less useless as it is today. 

dbrasco
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone heard anything recently on this?  For the life of me I can't understand why this hasnt been fixed yet.  

ependi_ependi
Aspirant
Aspirant

For information about complainers in this forum:

reflecting on previous cases, many complaints about the problems in this forum were not heard (known) by Arlo technical support. For that, friends who live in the US or surrounding countries, please be able to provide immediate information about the problem through the Arlo call center.

Thanks.