Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hallinmas
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo Pro cameras and just today my geofencing is not working. I am home and the app says that I am "In Zone", yet it is saying that the system is armed. I also noticed that Arlo Smart is not filtering, and it is allowing all motion for one of my cameras to come through when it should only be People. Is there a bug? Any help would be appreciated. I already tried unplugging the base station and restarting. Thanks!

932 REPLIES 932
RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do you delete the iCloud backup and then turn it back on?
LiCi
Apprentice
Apprentice

@brubble how do you remove arlo app backup from icloud backup? i cant find any option to remove app backup on ios 12.3.1 apart from turning backup on or off for the arlo app...

brubble
Guide
Guide

Go to settings, the first line shows your name, Apple ID, iCloud  click it go down to iCloud, click manage storage, click backups, click your phone, click show all apps, click green button next to Arlo app.  Turn off and delete will pop up select this. Go back into iCloud and click on iCloud backup, there will be a button to Backup Now,  restart iPhone after backup. Before reinstalling app do a factory reset of base station, let base station restart before loading Arlo app. Go to App Store and reload Arlo.   I have 2 phones so I did all this on both before reloading apps on both.  Don’t forget to go back into backup and turn Arlo backup back to ON.  This is what worked for me.  Hope it helps 

brubble
Guide
Guide

Just posted. Hope it helps 

RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Reinstalling the app doesn’t turn backups back on? I never turned it on to begin with.
brubble
Guide
Guide

I only turned off the Arlo backup, it will disappear from backups once reinstalled it will appear again but button will be turned off, turn it back on

Lumen
Aspirant
Aspirant
My iPhone works but my husband says unavailable. It worked until recently.
sAdam
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exactly what is happening . Was working pretty well and they borked it. A-holes.
mmuelle4
Tutor
Tutor
This is NOT fixed.

A couple of weeks ago, Geofencing stopped working as in it would fail to automatically recognize what mode it should be in based on my location.

Now, it appears to automatically update based on my location, but it's not respecting the actual Home mode settings.

My settings are such that, in Home mode, it should default to Schedule, and my daily schedule is to be armed from 12AM-5AM. Well, it's 2AM and the app is proudly displaying that it's Disarmed, showing the little geofence icon next to the mode (if it was working, it would show the geofence icon and the schedule icon next to the word Armed).

Switching between modes does not fix this, so I am forced to switching the app to Armed manually, which is absolutely unacceptable.

A fix for this is needed now, but more so better testing processes and coverage need to be adopted by the development team to ensure things like this NEVER make their way public.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@shoustonnz wrote:
I rarely use the log out feature, unless I want to force logout.
But 9 times out of 10 when I tap the app shortcut, I am presented with the login screen, and have to use fingerprint to login. This happens on my wife's phone to.

One other think to note is that every person (and mobile device) must have a unique Arlo login.  If you use the same login credentials for any two devices, you will logout any other devices using the same credentials each time you loin on another.  You can’t share login credentials and stay logged in on multiple devices at the same time.

Aaltox
Aspirant
Aspirant
For some days now the system has begun recording even though Im home. Geogence and app says Im home but it still detects motion and records on all pro-cameras. I use schedule to have it active during nighttime. First I thought it had wrong timesetting but thats correct too. Seems like my arlo pro2 works better. This problem only occurs on the arlo pros.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@brubble wrote:

Arlo shows they have fixed geofencing, if you’re on iPhone and it’s still not working try this.  Uninstall the app from any phones being used. You MUST also delete your backup of Arlo from the icloud.  Then do a factory reset of your base station. Reinstall the Arlo app, this will give you a brand new setup. I did this 3 days ago and it has been working again. Make sure to turn your backup of Arlo back on.

Why would you need to delete Arlo from an iCloud backup?  That should only be a factor if you intend to restore your iPhone from an iCloud backup.  I agree that deleting an app and power cycling the phone prior to reinstalling the app, seems like good practice, so as to ensure the app is off the phone and out of memory before installing it “fresh” again.

Jeem
Apprentice
Apprentice
+1 same here on iOS 2.7.10(91)

2 phones. Syncing home away broken.

JUST BE AWARE - as soon as devs fix geofencing mess they caused in recent release, THEY WILL BREAK SCHEDULING AGAIN. It’s happened before, it’ll happen again!!!!

Had stability until both late May releases. Back to the old ways at Arlo I see. Time to call in the intern to fix their code.
dazednconfuzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

No longer working after last update. iPhone 7 plus  iOS 12.3.1  Arlo Version 2.7.10 (91)

LiCi
Apprentice
Apprentice
So after I went all the hassles to reset everything, wipe the app, make sure no iCloud backup copy, reset base to factory default and then set from beginning as brand new, geofencing works (arm and disarm) when I have only my phone active.

Then this is where it broke, I added my wife phone and put her device for geofencing and remove my device as we want to use only her location for arm/disarm and lol behold, geofencing no longer works. Leave area, no arm, back to home, no disarm....

This is very frustrated...something that has worked flawless until the last few weeks suddenly broken completely with all these outages and app update.

ARLO please fix this and whatever you claim it is already solved.....IT IS NOT SOLVED!!!!!!
RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why wouldn’t you want your phone to geofence? That doesn’t sound like it should work?
dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP wrote:

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

so they know Geofencing for people whom have multiple mobile devices is still broken!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@RSC1 wrote:
Why wouldn’t you want your phone to geofence? That doesn’t sound like it should work?

Indeed. Don't remove, simply don't use it.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
LiCi
Apprentice
Apprentice
No, my phone is there and listed in geofence but I do not want my phone and my wife both devices on geofence. I leave to work earlier than her and if I enable mine, it arms while she still at home.

So we decided to have her phone only enabled for geofence.
Colintoo
Star
Star
Some misunderstanding here I think.
Geofencing will only arm when the LAST phone/person leaves the house. If both your phones are set up and you leave the house your system will not arm until your wife also leaves.

All this assumes geofencing is working properly......
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@LiCi wrote:
No, my phone is there and listed in geofence but I do not want my phone and my wife both devices on geofence. I leave to work earlier than her and if I enable mine, it arms while she still at home.

So we decided to have her phone only enabled for geofence.

When geofencing is working properly, you can have two or more devices involved and it works correctly.  When one device is home, it should be in home mode even if another (or others) are away. I have had this set up for a couple of years with my phone and my wife’s phone for two different locations.  When we are both away, the system is in away mode.  If one of us is a one location and the other is at the second location, both are in home mode.

However, this seems to get broken quite often by Arlo developers.  So the theory is definitely better than the reliable reality.

LiCi
Apprentice
Apprentice
At first I had this setup few years back but this has never work. Unless things have improved on geofence in terms of having multiple devices enabled.
brubble
Guide
Guide

I think the main phone controls all activity in Arlo so if geofencing is off on the main phone I don’t think the other phones will work correctly 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
“Re: Geofencing not disarming when I arrive home after iOS app update 2.7.9
I think the main phone controls all activity in Arlo so if geofencing is off on the main phone I don’t think the other phones will work correctly ”
=======
A shared contact with “access rights” can also turn on Geofencing. But the mode status is common to all users, so when one user changes a mode, everyone sees the effect. Only the owner can edit the mode itself.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@brubble wrote:

I think the main phone controls all activity in Arlo so if geofencing is off on the main phone I don’t think the other phones will work correctly 

That's just of of several "I think" interpretations in this discussion, with various theories that can't all be right.

A good place to start would be with the official documentation:

How does Arlo Geofencing work and how do I set it up?

How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime