Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hallinmas
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo Pro cameras and just today my geofencing is not working. I am home and the app says that I am "In Zone", yet it is saying that the system is armed. I also noticed that Arlo Smart is not filtering, and it is allowing all motion for one of my cameras to come through when it should only be People. Is there a bug? Any help would be appreciated. I already tried unplugging the base station and restarting. Thanks!

932 REPLIES 932
Wrcaston
Initiate
Initiate
Hi, I use IFTTT with arlo and it works quite well. I actually use the motion sensing to switch on lights which is great. Not tried it for what you said though. Let me know if it works and I’ll try it.
JMSchur
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing suddenly stopped switching to Home Mode when I return. It worked okay until a few weeks ago. It still switches to Away Mode what I leave but I have to manually change the mode to get it to recognize that I am at home. Apparently tech support is nonexistant at Arlo so I'm hoping someone in the Community has a suggestion. 

nickslat
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same issue. It is causing a nightmare of alerts and emails to my phone. We have 2 phones registered in it and if one of us gets home which should switch it to disarmed, the children and dogs cause literally hundreds of alerts and the batteries run down quick.
Arlo support, in fact Netgear support is the worse in the world.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Nadigator wrote:
Geofencing has too many bugs. First, you can’t use “Schedule” for Geofencing/home mode - it just doesn’t work!.. it works with a custom mode, but only until you hit one of the cameras to see live feed.. after that, it goes to “armed” mode for no reason!

Is this a new problem?  I’ve been using modes this way successfully for two years or more.  I’m away now, so I can’t test the most recent version of the app for home mode.

Whatarussh
Star
Star

Geofencing with Home Mode with Schedule worked fine until recently. Again, this is just another example of inadequite software testing prior to release. Arlo software engineers have become masters of  system devolution. 

MNGirl
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here.  Leave and GeoFencing does just fine, arms just like it should but then I get home it does not disarm.  The only way I can get it to disarm is to do so manually through the mode.  When I turn geofencing off then back on, it immediately says its in the home mode so something is broken. 

Whatarussh
Star
Star

Unless you can load old versions of the Base station Firmware we just wait for Arlo to undo their mistake. Its amazing how many times we have seen an Arlo update include a feature self distruct. Like so many others out here, we're getting tired of it the poor quality control!

CPMS
Tutor
Tutor

Not sure about the "schedule" for Geofencing Home mode but the Geofencing setting has been having issues the last few weeks.

If you haven't been home you wouldn't notice.  If you do get home before they (Arlo/Netgear) fix this, your system will not automatically go to "Home" mode, it will stay in "Away" mode until you manually change it.

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

after the latest app update geofencing not working, is anyone having the same problem?

someone who knows if it is possible to download the old app?

incredibly annoying that they release apps that will remove bugs but add new ones 😞

Nadigator
Guide
Guide

Geofencing works fine with my 4 Arlo Pro cameras and two iPhones, but NOT if I select "SCHEDULE" (which is a valid option).  It works fine with CustomModes, but if I select SCHEDULE, it stays "Armed" when we come home, and annoys you with notifications from ALL cameras.

The "Schedule" is an excellent tool (if it worked) -- so when @ Home, you could have "Day Mode" and "Night Mode" controlled by software, but that's not the case!  If you select SCHEDULE for Geofencing @ Home, it doesn't work.

Pne other bug I noticed -- while running CustomMode for Geofencing @ Home it may switch to "Armed" for no reason if you decide to turn one of the cameras LIVE.

Nadigator
Guide
Guide

I see this topic being published and "Closed" as "Solved" several times -- it is NOT solved, the bugs are still there!!!

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@framedbyaustin wrote:

I can't seem to get my Geofencing / Schedule combination to work out.

I have my mode set to Geofencing where when I'm away, my three cameras (2 outdoor, 1 indoor) are set to armed. When I am home, I have it set to Schedule. I want to have it so that my outside cameras only come on from 12am-18am when I am home, but to leave my indoor camera deactivated to avoid notifications and records of me just walking around my house when I'm primarily awake.

To achieve the Outside only camera grouping, I created an Outside Only custom mode and only selected the outdoor cameras. So when I'm home and it goes to Schedule, I have my 12am-8am set to the custom mode Outside Only. However, it seems to still keep my inside camera still active as well because I'll still receive notifications from me inside. Any suggestions?

I've attached images of what set up I have.

From all of the other posts here, it seems like your modes, rules and schedules may be totally correct, but due to a recent firmware update, your system never truly recognizes you as home.  It sounds like Arlo needs to push out a fix before this will work correctly for you.

Initiate
Initiate

I Purchased the system just over a year ago. Set up Geofencing on my single iPhone 6. System worked flawlessly for a year and now it stopped reactivating home mode when I get back to my house. the GPS map on  my Arlo app shows the location of the phone very accurately as being in the house, yet the system will not switch back to home from away mode.  I have changed numerous configurations to try and shake things up a bit. I have logged in and logged out many times and re-downloaded the app. There are no punctuation marks in my iPhone settings (as I have a read can be a problem)

Has anybody seen this issue? 

scared2upgrade
Tutor
Tutor

In the same boat as all of you.  We are suckers who have already paid for the hardware and stuck with it.  What other systems are you guys buying into? 

Netgear dropped the ball on this big time.  I do agree, this whole thing is a clown show.

SLTexas
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue on my Apple iphone X.  It doesn't disarm which in turn fills up the cloud with useless video.

LodonArloUser
Guide
Guide

It would seem each time Arlo / Netgear release a new version they do not thorughly test it - and each time geofencing is released with and error - that then takes them a few weeks to correct.  Mindboggling that the project manager still has a job.

KristopherSteel
Tutor
Tutor

I have 2 Arlo-Q's.  About a week and a half ago I think?  Geofencing stopped working.  It seems to arm but would not disarm when I got home.  Worked without issue prior.  Nothing has changed or was changed.  iOS has been updated a couple of times I think.  Everything else has stayed the same.

I have to manually disarm the system now.  If I set to Geofencing while I am home, it sees I am home and disarms.  However, it no longer does this without me manually flipping the switch.

Any ideas?

Teesea
Guide
Guide
Adrian1234,
I had similar problems getting Arlo chat to work. I found it worked ok using the Chrome browser as opposed to the native Apple Mac Safari browser.
BillTHollins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Over 200 entries just for this one thread, and same in other threads - says something about the product!

Chat - waste of time. If you do get in they cant fix it anyway. It is a program bug REINTRODUCED from a working system.

They ignore the user community, the support email and just carry on oblivious!!

mrjirey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  First after the update it didn't recognize when I left or entered the zone.  Arlo sent an update, now it knows when I leave and arms the system.  When I return, it recognozes that I'm in the area and says it is disarming, but the system remains armed.  When I enter, i imediatly receive a mottion detected viloation.  When I go into the app, it shows the system is armed, but my devide is in the zone.

I thought it was they system or the apps, but after reseting and re-configuring the base station and cameras, as well as both iPhone apps, it is the same issue

Seems as if there is a bug in the app or cloud.

Gunadvocate79
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the fix for this Netgear? Paid a lot of money for this system and a response should have happened already.
RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
That is exactly my experience. I have to manually disarm when I’m home and then activate geofencing again.

Also I get activity zones inactive errors due to not being connected to AC. That is eliminated by closing and relaunching the app. I’m on iOS.
GastonJR
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been struggling with this issue for several weeks now.  Restarted all my devices, uninstall/reinstall the app.  Rebuilt the settings with no joy.  It would be somewhat comforting if Arlo would at least have sent out an announcement that they were working on it.  This inspires very little confidence and discourages me from upgrading to other Arlo products. 

dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

looks like few arlo community manager are busy merging similar topics on this forum in the past couple of days regarding Geofencing not working

they should be aware of the problems that us (Beta Code tester) are facing since the latest firmware/App update.

they never acknowledge issues we report in unless their Dev team told them yes there is a problem

all we can do is just to wait it out until they come up with a fix

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why are you mentioning beta testers? It’s not working for people who are not on beta software.