Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing - how does it work?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
luredude
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I set up geofencing and when I leave and/or return, I get the push messages "Geofencing at Home is now in home mode" or "Geofencing at Home is now in away mode".  I set it to 'armed' when I am away.  Yet, when I go to the app when I'm away and check the cameras' status, all indicate "This camera is currently disabled and will not respond to mode changes".  How come they don't ARM as they are set to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. 

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

It sounds like you may have the cameras turned off within Settings. This is privacy mode, if the cameras are in privacy mode, Geofencing will not work.

JamesC

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. 

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

It sounds like you may have the cameras turned off within Settings. This is privacy mode, if the cameras are in privacy mode, Geofencing will not work.

JamesC

luredude
Aspirant
Aspirant

As stated, the cameras were in privacy mode so by arming them, the geofencing now works as designed and the cameras don't record when home but do when I'm out of the specified range.

Tomohio
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I turn off phone at night will the geofence still know I was home and re arm to monitor driveway?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the phone is off, GF won't be able to detect that you're at home so should revert to the Away setting.

Tomohio
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks!!