Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

markjericho
Star
Star

After updating to iOS 13, my geofencing no longer works. Shocking. Geofencing is the most unstable feature in this product. I find I need to open the app and then it figures out my locations has changed. Come on Arlo, does anyone test this stuff there?!?!

294 REPLIES 294
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Whatarussh wrote:

Here is a response I received from Arlo Customer service on December 9th: A promise to fix "most of the issues" within 10-20 days.  

Good Day!

We would like to provide you an update regarding the ongoing issue for the Geofencing feature.

As per our Engineering Team, we will have a new IOS version that will resolve most issues in Geofencing. It should be released within 10-20 days and we will provide more updates the soonest. 

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Hyazenth Balajadia

Customer Care Advocate

T: 833-898-6988

2200 Faraday Ave. #150

Carlsbad, CA 92008

Perhaps this means, the next update has been released to the App Store for evaluation or is at least in the pipeline to the App Store at this time.

omsoc
Initiate
Initiate

Same problem everyone else is having - Geofencing no longer works (iPhone X ).  Doesn't detect going in or out of zone unless app is up and running onscreen.  All settings per recommendations.  Acts as if the background app that tracks location is not working unless app is active.

This stuff used to work fine.  How about doing some Quality Control testing before you release faulty software that makes my investment in your system worthless!  This same problem has been documented all over this board for the last month.  If you think you're going to sell a security system THAT DOESN'T WORK and stay in business, you may find your customers going elsewhere.

jamester1975
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve had my Arlo pro 2 setup for over a year. Recently I’ve noticed that the geofencing is not working unless I have the app running. It’s set to always use location services, and my phone is set to share location. It’s Really frustrating. I can only think it’s due to a recent iOS or app update? I have the latest app as well
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
“ released within 10-20 days”

This is such spin. Their CEO was on Twitter a week ago saying the fix was with Apple for “10-12 day approval”. A statement which itself is rubbish, no where Apple say that. 48h is their typical.

So no coherent story, all just swinging from the hip. Sounds like they are stalling until after Christmas. Pathetic, it can’t be that hard to fix as a) it worked before and b) others have done it under 13 since release.

HIRE A DECENT DEV! Stop taking their rubbish excuses Arlo management. Or is this outsourced development? Team of blank faces in China or something you have no control of and woefully inadequate?
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bahaha.  Just called their "support" and got hung up on, twice.  Right after mentioning geofencing 😂

Edit: Then one actually stayed on but put me on hold "briefly" to get a answer to when the app would be updated.  That was 10 minutes ago....... 😂😂 ..... oh now he is back.... asking "what is the problem" and offering "steps to try".  Literally knows nothing other than his run sheet of "fixes" and that anything beyond that is being "worked on".  Lol - how are they still in business.  The click farming on their ratings must be top notch.

jamester1975
Aspirant
Aspirant
Interestingly mine seemed to work today. The only difference is I enabled Face ID. It used to be enabled, it must have switched off at some point. I’ll post back in a couple of days to state Wether it was a fluke or not...
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Likely a fluke, but I just turned mine on to test it.  I stopped using “TouchID” because it was just another login to deal with when the app would log me in automatically if I kept that disabled.  FaceID is more reliable in my experience, so not as much of an added burden as TouchID was for this app....except during the winter when I’m all bundled up or behind sunglasses (which actually works sometimes anyway)

Last night I arrived at our home and the cameras stayed armed. I had to log into the app to make the system realize that I was now “Home”.   Of course that then put the vacation home in Away mode.  I looked at our vacation home where my wife was located and saw videos clicking away as she walked around the house.  I had to manually disarm that one.  She hates Arlo with a passion now, so I wasn’t about to ask her to open the app to fix her geofencing status.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

FOLKS we have an update. Lets all cross our fingers.  I don't see much about GeoFence update 

IMG_1528.jpeg

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Retired_Member wrote:

FOLKS we have an update. Lets all cross our fingers.  I don't see much about GeoFence update 

It does say this version should improve geofencing for most users.  Fingers crossed.

Now if they could just get some discipline in their software development and release processes, their customers might become happy and their business might actually flourish again.

ChuckDoherty
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just downloaded App version 2.11.12 which says that; "Geofencing should function more reliably for most users" 

I would prefer reading a less-conditional statement such as "Geofencing WILL function COMPLETELY reliably for ALL users" but at this point I will take what I can get.

I will report back with my results, and hopefully the system won't record me coming into my own house again.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I forget h0w to QUOTE.  Ancient Geek I was so excited I didn't read the whole description I stopped when I saw  they added more features..  LETS JUST stop ARLO and get the Default features to work..  

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Retired_Member wrote:

I forget h0w to QUOTE.  Ancient Geek I was so excited I didn't read the whole description I stopped when I saw  they added more features..  LETS JUST stop ARLO and get the Default features to work..  

At some point "Quote" was moved from a button to the bold double-quotation mark in the formatting toolbar.  It took me a while to find it also.  One day I said...hey, I wonder if that "does a quote" rather than "is a quote".  I still can't see how to do it on a phone.  Only my Mac and iPad.  Somewhere they also introduced auto-save, which is wonderful.  I lost SO MANY long posts before that feature was added.  I had started to type everything in Notes and paste it here.  

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

A new version of the Arlo mobile app for iOS is now available resolving several issues with Geofencing, please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo iOS App - 2.12 - 13th December 2019

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@JessicaP wrote:

A new version of the Arlo mobile app for iOS is now available resolving several issues with Geofencing, please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo iOS App - 2.12 - 13th December 2019

Mine appears to be working now.  Fingers crossed.

ChuckDoherty
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far, so good.  With the new version, the geofencing detected me coming back home today for the first time since the iOS 13 upgrade.  I will give it some more testing and report back, but for the moment all signs are positive.

Mick12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unbelievable.

Still not functioning after the new iOS and APP update

I am home and showing out of zone.  Gone through ALL the trouble shooting steps I have been instructed to in the past to no avail with this new update.

Mick12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to clarify:

The APP is now not recognizing my position at all.  Previously I would have to open the APP for GEOFENCING to function.  Now, when I open the APP, it does not even recognize or update when I am in zone.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

🤗 OMG its working again!!  /Crosses fingers.  

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Retired_Member wrote:

🤗 OMG its working again!!  /Crosses fingers.  

It sure does make a difference, doesn't it.

jamester1975
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oh yes!