Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

markjericho
Star
Star

After updating to iOS 13, my geofencing no longer works. Shocking. Geofencing is the most unstable feature in this product. I find I need to open the app and then it figures out my locations has changed. Come on Arlo, does anyone test this stuff there?!?!

294 REPLIES 294
bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nothing like having a SECURITY system only to realize hours after you’ve left the house the cameras did not arm. Arlo when will you get this right? Why is this so hard to fix and keep working like it’s supposed to? So disappointed that’s I have had to deal with this now off and on for over three years?
dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

They’ve done it again, every App update, will caused more issues than fix, especially if you use Geofencing

I've mix devices in my setup, iOS and Android, the latest update broke something....

here are problems I encountered after updated to the latest App (all iOS & Android devices are updated to latest avilable firmware)

Arlo iOS App - 2.11.1 - 22nd November 2019  - iPhone6s+, iPhone8, iPadAir2

App will logout/crash unexpectedly, system mode tab in App not in sync with previos setting.

iOS App not able to maintain device in log-in state, it will logout by itself somehow.

Arlo Android App - 2.11.1 - 22nd November 2019  - this is on my Main/Master device, Galaxy Note10+

App will logout/crash unexpectedly, system mode screen tab in App shows nothing/white screen, Library tab in App showing a image of one of the camera on the backgroun of the top timeline bar. 

we have to open Arlo App on our phone to update our device's geolocation so Geofencing will trigger the correct mode for the past week (on iOS devices).

gwiz88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Arlo. 

Same problem here, please fix it. 2 iPhones running iOS 13 and GF is not working. Doesn’t activate until the app is opened. 

I just switched from an iPhone 5s running iOS 12 and that was working fine.

Rrocket
Aspirant
Aspirant

This Company is so Beyond the Pale...So utterly BAD !

Bugs at the Start....Bugs in the Middle...Bugs AGAIN NOW.....

They just don't seem to Care.

We are All Hopelessly Hoping That Somebody Gives a  !#%*

gwiz88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah. At least some vague acknowledgement that someone is working to try and solve this issue would give us some hope.

Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Geofencing not working.
It’s only work when open the app.
Same on my wife’s phone (as guest).
All problems start after Arlo app update to 2.11 version. Same issue with 2.11.1.

Already tried to reinstall everything, log out and in again, and many other things...nothing help.

iOS 13.2.3
Arlo app 2.11.1

This is not iOS problem, all the others apps using geofencing work properly (Philips hue, IFTTT, etc.), ONLY ARLO APP HAVE PROBLEMS!
Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
GEOFENCING NOT WORKING
Geofencing only update the position if I open Arlo app. Same for my wife.

All problems started with Arlo app update to 2.11 version; same problem with 2.11.1.

This is not iOS problem because all others geofencing app works properly (IFTTT, Philips Hue etc.);
ONLY PROBLEMS WITH ARLO APP.

I’ve tried to reinstall app, restart everything, and many other things but nothing work.

Strange thing: when I reinstalled the Arlo app it asked me to use my position for using geofencing, but the options were only “while using the app”, “never” and “once”, but NOT “ALWAYS”.
I’ ve changed afterwards in the iPhone settings...
Leizl
Aspirant
Aspirant
GEOFENCING NOT WORKING
Geofencing only update the position if I open Arlo app. Same for my wife.

All problems started with Arlo app update to 2.11 version; same problem with 2.11.1.

This is not iOS problem because all others geofencing app works properly (IFTTT, Philips Hue etc.);
ONLY PROBLEMS WITH ARLO APP.

I’ve tried to reinstall app, restart everything, and many other things but nothing work.

Strange thing: when I reinstalled the Arlo app it asked me to use my position for using geofencing, but the options were only “while using the app”, “never” and “once”, but NOT “ALWAYS”.
I’ ve changed afterwards in the iPhone settings...
JohnCo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base station VMB4000r3

Geofencing is useless, it tells me my wife’s phone is in zone when it is not - meaning system not activated when we are both away from home. Have set up wife’s phone to always allows location for Arlo, restated phone numerous times, restated system numerous times - am giving up with Arlo gear - too unreliable . . .
Mick12
Apprentice
Apprentice
My wife is 50 miles away right now but her phone still shows in the zone yet I have to have to have her open the app for her phone to register as out of the zone.

I chatted with tech-support and opened a case, all of the efforts and resets and setting changes did absolutely nothing. I was told it was working fine and as soon as I left my house, and left the zone it would not arm. I responded with an update to my case twice. I have not heard a thing from Arlo support since.

It is absolutely unacceptable the lack of customer service and product support from this company. I wish I did more research prior to purchasing the system. I should’ve stuck with my Nest as I never had any issues with those cameras.

arlonian
Aspirant
Aspirant

It doesn't seem like Arlo is addressing the issue.  In the beginning I was confident they would resolve the problem within a couple weeks, they haven't.  Customers spend their hard earned money on their products/services, but have received practically no response on what the underlying problem is, when a fix will be available, etc.  There's power in numbers, I suggest everyone leave negative reviews where you can.  When it hits their bottom dollar they will make it a priority.

eng33
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not sure if an obvious question, but would this issue get more exposure if someone posted on social media eg Twitter? I have zero experience of social media, never been on Twitter, but I hear people complaining in this way.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

please no more replies.. lol my poor inbox.   I wish I could get a notification when this issue is fixed 

hikinman
Guide
Guide
@lotus25. Change your notification preferences for this thread, don’t ask the world to stop talking about it.

I have a “bad” “work around” for this. You can create a Siri Shortcut, that will alert you to open the app when you are out of the geofence zone. This at least helps me to remember to run the app so it arms the system, or forces me to do it manually so I don’t forget. To do this, open Siri Shortcuts, select Automation (at bottom) then add new automation “+” (at top right). Select “leave”, choose your home location, and set the radius to be the same as in arlo. Then, add an action, select “scripting”. Select open app, and choose arlo. Now it will ask you to run app when you leave geofence.

Second, although it doesn’t fix the issue, get you better support or change anything, you can email the CEO of netgear here:

patrick.lo@netgear.com

I did get another ticket opened with yet another promise of updates.

I don’t expect that this product had dedicated engineers working on it. Any large organization knows the importance of communication with their staff and customers. Something
Is clearly very broken at netgear. It likely starts at the top.
arlonian
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just did an online chat with Arlo to try and get an update.  The customer service rep stated they are aware of the issue but do not have an ETA on a fix yet.  They suggested I try the following, not sure if it's working yet as I am not able to leave the house until later (I'm not optimistic).

"However, can you tell me if you have tried doing the following:
• Used only 1 active device/phone on geofencing.
• Change the phone name to just 1 word and no special characters

After applying the changes, restart the phone, add it to geofencing again"

They also stated a workaround could be the following (below).  I told them that there shouldn't have to be a workaround, they should prioritize and fix the issue since it's impacting so many users.

"You can use Arlo with IFTTT and connect it to a geofencing app like Waze."
https://kb.arlo.com/1075729/What-is-IFTTT-and-how-do-I-use-it-with-my-Arlo-device

Thanks hikinman, I just setup a Siri Shortcut as you outlined.  Guess I will use that approach until the problem is resolved (if the problem is resolved).

Filou95
Tutor
Tutor

it's not a problem for them, it's just that they do not care of it , they sell cameras and that's all

They are to busy with Arlo pro 3 ... 

I put 1 star for all reviews , but  the app is still 4 stars because most of other functions works fine , and everybody dont use geofencing

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@arlonian wrote:

I just did an online chat with Arlo to try and get an update.  The customer service rep stated they are aware of the issue but do not have an ETA on a fix yet.  They suggested I try the following, not sure if it's working yet as I am not able to leave the house until later (I'm not optimistic).

"However, can you tell me if you have tried doing the following:
• Used only 1 active device/phone on geofencing.
• Change the phone name to just 1 word and no special characters

After applying the changes, restart the phone, add it to geofencing again"

They also stated a workaround could be the following (below).  I told them that there shouldn't have to be a workaround, they should prioritize and fix the issue since it's impacting so many users.

"You can use Arlo with IFTTT and connect it to a geofencing app like Waze."
https://kb.arlo.com/1075729/What-is-IFTTT-and-how-do-I-use-it-with-my-Arlo-device

Thanks hikinman, I just setup a Siri Shortcut as you outlined.  Guess I will use that approach until the problem is resolved (if the problem is resolved).

These sound exactly like the work-arounds they proposed last summer for the previous Geofencing problem.

So the IFTTT solution is to give Google (owners of Waze) all of your location data to which they can sell access to advertisers or whomever.

Steenal
Aspirant
Aspirant

After getting the new app and Iphone 11 Pro - Geofencing has NOT been working. I need to open the app before it reacts.

I have naturally checked all settings and given access etc. 

You are not doing anything to help out!

Do I REALLY need to either get another system  - or go back to iPhone 8??? For real?

ndoab
Guide
Guide

This is just a bump on the previous subject to keep it going

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Geofencing-broken-with-iOS-13-Need-to-open-app-and-it-figures...

Running 2 iPhones running latest iOS 13.2.3. Settings for geofencing are set to always for location services.

Unless the app is open, Arlo app does not recognize change in geofencing location.

On a side note, I also have a problem with not getting notifications unless the app is open also.

Hoping Arlo can address shortly

Freebird317
Guide
Guide

I have an Arlo Pro 2 with GeoFencing not working for my wife's device.  She has to open Arlo for it to update her location.  Is this normal, is not the Arlo app using background refresh to update location?

carly
Star
Star

After 6 years of non stop issues with Arlo,including geofencing rarely working, I’m going with Ring. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@carly wrote:

After 6 years of non stop issues with Arlo,including geofencing rarely working, I’m going with Ring. 

I have a Ring Pro doorbell and a wireless camera...spotlight cam I think.  I was not significantly impressed by the Ring cameras.  I get notifications later than with Arlo and the recordings take a while to prepare before they are viewable.  So I get a notice and then have to watch live view and hope I see the same thing until the recording is ready.  They also have false motions outside...like Arlo.  Also no geofencing that I’ve seen on Ring so far.  I looked hard for that when I played with the spotlight camera this summer.  And it is Amazon, so plan on your private information being exploited in some way for profit.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Freebird317 wrote:

I have an Arlo Pro 2 with GeoFencing not working for my wife's device.  She has to open Arlo for it to update her location.  Is this normal, is not the Arlo app using background refresh to update location?

Last summer I researched this a bit on the Apple development web support site.  My recollection is that an app can subscribe to the service that tracks significant changes in location and iOS will wake up the app when that significant change occurs.  As I recall, iOS will supposedly even start up the app of it isn’t running.  It is possible Apple has messed something up (bug) or perhaps changed something intentionally and Arlo didn’t properly account for the change.  We will likely never know, since transparency is not one of Alro’s fortes.. 

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

The iOS13 rollout was far from good, true.  But changes were announced and documented for location and background APIs.  Essentially apps had to alter the way they announce to these OS services.  Decent devs implemented this during the beta, even working around flaws in the new API to keep their apps running.  Arlo seems to have just rolled the dice and done ZERO iOS13 testing during the beta, I mean how could they have given the huge flaws in the app?

Would I expect a throwaway "Am I near a coffee shop" app or similar to transition to iOS 13 perfectly?  No.  A alleged security system?  Yes.... or at least do better that 2.5 months post release with no improvement and no update.  It is just embarrassing and everyone should be making warnings on every post @ArloSmartHome makes on Twitter and leaving 1 star reviews for the app.

https://twitter.com/ArloSmartHome

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/arlo/id1459289784

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looking at the app store it seems pretty fishy.  3 month old app with 1.7k reviews many of them either 1 star or 5 star (of ones with text).  Was around 2.5 stars in Sept after launch but now 4.5.  Smells like a click farm to me.