Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geo Fencing not working as advertised

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

The following is job number # 28606944. Need answers

Geo fencing. Sorry it does not work. I paid nzd$1200.00 for the best system. The cameras are doing exactly what they say they will do. But Geo Fencing is not as described. I can be sitting at home. And it pops up saying I am AWAY. I can go AWAY, and it can take at least 2 or 3 KM before it realises I have left. Then when I am away it will say I am home. I have been burgled twice in 2 weeks. If it happens again and I do not see it. I will be asking Insurance company. to contact you. There are other options available on the market to me. But I do not want that, I paid for the best. And that is what I expect.. I have followed all advise in the forums. And there seems to be a lot of cutting and pasting in to your moderators responses.
Please fix asap

receipt calls it a Arlo pro VMS4330

Trying to geo fence with Samsung s7 and a meizu note 3.

5 REPLIES 5
Gazz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know why yours is not working but all I can say is it does work fine on my system, using two phones (iphones) and we have a nightly schedule as well so it comes on at night even if we are in.

Could it be your phones are getting confused where they are?

Gary

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

shoustonnz,

It sounds like your mobile device location is being lost. Are you connecting to your WiFi when at home? Do you see any difference in behavior when connecting to mobile data instead of your WiFi connection?

JamesC

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

I don't what the answer is??? There as one day when it all went as expected. But then another day. Nobody was at home but I kept getting messages saying, it was in "Home Mode". So no more attempts at Geo Fencing, its a all manual now.  Just hope the app works better. Would be good if the was a widget with modes on it.

I just get the following from Netgear. 

GeoFencing is currently on a beta stage which means we have not yet fully implemented and added this feature to the Arlo system. Engineers are already aware of this and are working to perfect the feature. 

Geofencing requires WiFi connection(if there is a WiFi signal available) and mobile data if WiFi signal is not available. GPS without WiFi takes longer to lock and get down to a high accuracy level. It can take several minutes, depending on your signal and the number of satellites your phone can receive. 

If there is no reliable data connection, the location accuracy degrades. This is because the Geofence service depends on the network location provider which in turn requires a cellular data connection. 

Sorry but I paid good money,for good service. I definately did not sign up for a Beta service. I have the power to discredit this service in NZ. A bad rap on Television goes a long way. Don't let me use it.

Base station Firmware1.8.9.0_11528 HW VersionVMB4000r3

Cameras Firmware1.092.0.3_12290 HW VersionH8 

Android 7.0 Samsung s7

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

The following has been submitted to Support services case number #28606944

Ok, so today.  We normally have a mode set that monitors our driveway whilst we are home. All I want to do is Disarm the system., so I can go outside to get some firewood in. It took 7 minutes to do this. I have attached screen shots of the whole process But also note it used 5% of battery to do this. The screen would flash on and off sometimes all white sometimes all black, but always on. I could not stop the app I could not even write a response when the Arlo isn't responing " message came up. Normally when this happens I restart the phone,this fixes it. But I want you to see what is happening. Android 7.o is my OS , on an Galaxy S7. Nothing strange about that I understand, that the Android app has worked fine in the past. What has changed?? Is a roll back possible??

Sorry this forum does not allow me to upload Screenshots but if you can imagine a white screen with an ARLO icon, and a time stamp and diminishing battery capacity in the top right hand corner. 

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

Reply from Netgear, an update coming to app...

Hi Steve,

Good day!

Thank you for the update regarding your case. I do apologize for the delayed response.

Going back to your concern wherein the Arlo app takes too long to load up, please be informed that we have heard similar reports and have identified the issue. We are expecting for an update release next week.

Regarding your other concern about the Geofencing Mode, if you'd like for a mode that would be accurate, we do advise other modes such as Armed, Disarmed and Schedule. We have received similar cases as yours and the Geofencing mode may or may not be accurate and our team is constantly working to make it better. You may try to power cycle your base station or uninstall and re-install Arlo app on your phone and observe if there would be any differences. 

Again, thank you for choosing Netgear.

Heres hoping.....But I will not be using Geofencing till its confirmed it works. But not having to wait 7 minutes for the app to open. Will be a huge step... Accurate feofencing "Eutopia" Or should that be what I paid for???