Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Forced Subscription No Support

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Sam117
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • I purchased an Arlo pro before monthly subscriptions were required. I have three cameras which is the maximum allowed on a non-subscription base hub.  Out of nowhere, my base hub stopped working.  No amount of troubleshooting can resolve the issue.  Arlo does not offer live-support for non-subscription-based accounts.    Is Arlo purposefully disabling non-subscription-based hubs to force us into new hubs that require subscription?
10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sam117 wrote:

I have three cameras which is the maximum allowed on a non-subscription base hub. 

FYI, that is incorrect. 

For one thing, there is no such thing as a "non-subscription" base.  Subscriptions are for cameras, not for bases. And all bases can stream up to 5 cameras simultaneously.  

Also, the free 7-day cloud storage that you got with the Pro is limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras per account (no matter how many bases you have).  Note this is not offered on new camera models  (starting with the Ultra in 2018).

@Sam117 wrote:

Out of nowhere, my base hub stopped working.  No amount of troubleshooting can resolve the issue.  

Can you describe what troubleshooting you've done?  

Also, can you tell us the LED status you are seeing on the base?

Sam117
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Base Model is VMB4000.   Camera Models are VMC4030.  

Trouble Shooting:  Changed Ethernet Cable.  Confirmed no issues with internet provider.  All other devices connect to internet without issue.  Plugged Hub directly into Modem.  Factory reset Hub.  Removed Hub from Arlo App and tried to reconnect.  Arlo app states that Hub is not connected to internet.  Problem has persisted for 2 weeks.  

Any other troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.  

Center (internet) light is solid green,  flashes randomly, then goes back to solid green. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sam117 wrote:

Any other troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.  

Center (internet) light is solid green,  flashes randomly, then goes back to solid green. 

First I'd confirm that you see the same status on a PC (my.arlo.com).

You could also try a factory reset.

Sam117
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did a factory reset.  Removed Hub from App.  Tried adding a Hub through the app and I continue to get No Arlo Devices are found.  Plugged Arlo directly into Modem and still "No Arlo Devices Found" "Make sure your devices is powered on correctly and connected to the internet".  

Internet is not the issues.  Seems that something is wrong with Arlo Hub.  

If I purchase a new Arlo Hub can I use my existing cameras VMC4030 without a subscription?

If so, will any Hub work?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sam117 wrote:

Did a factory reset.  Removed Hub from App.  Tried adding a Hub through the app and I continue to get No Arlo Devices are found. 

Have you also tried a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com)?

@Sam117 wrote:

Plugged Arlo directly into Modem

The phone (or PC) need to be connected to your home network while onboarding.  So plugging the base station directly into a cable or DSL modem won't work (unless that modem has a built-in router).

@Sam117 wrote:

If I purchase a new Arlo Hub can I use my existing cameras VMC4030 without a subscription?

If so, will any Hub work?

All hubs support this camera (normally called the Pro).

DeJager89
Aspirant
Aspirant

This just happend to me also!A complete joke if you ask me. I purched arlo for this same reason and recommended to a lot of people because of it as well and now what i purchased and what arlos agreement to me as a customer just goes away?! I dont think so 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@DeJager89

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing?

Thanks 

MtnDog69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sam117,

I had the exact same problem, and I hate to tell you this, but the solution that worked for me was to buy a new base station (VMB4500). 

Here is the link to the thread regarding my issue (which is curiously similar to yours):

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/In-Spite-of-quot-Fixes-quot-My-Base-Station-VMB4000r3-Still/m...

Regards,

MtnDog69

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been working with Arlo Support Team for a month on this issue, specifically the Pro 4 Spotlight camera I added to my system back in September. Pro 4 stopped saving recordings December 10th. Support advised me that if I upgraded my Hub from VMB4000 to VMB4540 and reinstalled everything, upgraded to the newest App, that the issue would be solved. It is NOT solved. Support offered me a temporary code that would be good for 2 weeks while they further "investigate". In order to use the code, I would need to purchase a subscription plan...which I will NOT do. I've never had a plan, nor will I ever purchase one. Pro and Pro2 cameras' recordings are in my Library/Feed. I get Notifications from the Pro4 but NO recordings. Best of luck to you. Bottom line seems to be that if you want functionality from Pro4 (and newer cameras) you need to purchase a plan.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@DoctorZ

Are you trying to use the local storage feature for your recordings. All the newer devices require a Secure subscription to save to the cloud, Library/feed. You can find more info here. https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...