Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

I need more length to my USB cable to go to the plug in my garage.

The camera is outside, but it is in a birdhouse for protection from the elements.

picture below  (I just put a bag in the hole when I took the picture) Camera is in it now.

QUESTION IS:

1)  Is there a longer cable that I can use?   

2)  Can I use an extension cord and if so what wire gage?

3)  Can I use a power bar?  

4) Can you use a Arlo Q cable for charging an Arlo Pro?

5)  Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

DSC_0668.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's already threads on this with this one being the most recent:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q/Arlo-Q-extention-USB-cable/m-p/1226857#U1226857

If possible, I'd prefer to use an extension cord rather than a longer USB cable because it won't cause the potential problems a long USB cable will.  USB cables usually use pretty fine wires, causing voltage drop over longer distances.  Is it enough to cause problems?  ONly testing would tell.

If you decide to get a long USB cable, just be sure it is quality, with larger wire gauges.  The exact distance makes a difference.

Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have used a 14 foot extention cord attached to the USB charging cable. It appears to be working and so far so good.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How is it working now? Am thinking the same thing you did and I also need about the same length (15 foot extension cord plus the outdoor AC cord of 8). Its better than exprimenting with USB extension cords where you really don't know the wire guage or hunting for the appropriate one and IMO its gonna be expensive when you do find one that might be appropriate.

Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

The extention cord worked. I eventually wired a plug up into the garage area so direct. Where do you live in cold climate or warm? 

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Warm weather. But it can rain. My cam is under a soffit as will the extension cord and it will lead to an existing protected (in use type cover) outdoor outlet. I'm hesistant to use the extension cord like that but I plan to wrap electrical tape around the connection from the cord to the Arlo outdoor cord's adapter. It won't get wet. The Arlo outdoor adapter should really come with a longer cord. 8 feet is too short IMO. I just see no other solutions. The solar panel NG is selling has only a 6 foot cord and the instructions online seem to imply it needs 1.5 feet of slack. It's useless in my case as far as positioning it to get direct sunlight with such a short cord.

If I understand you correctly, you had outlets installed?

Lightyears
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just so you do it right what I would do is bring down the camera and attatch the extention cord plus Arlo's cord and make sure you get the results.   Then go to the work pf putting it all up.  I think the big area that neesa the protection is whene it goes into the camera's back IMO. Yes I brought the hydro closer to the camera by installing an outlet.    

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK thanks, will let you know how it worked out.