Aspirant

How do I get firmware updates.?

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@smokeyhayez wrote:

How do I get firmware updates.?

They generally come automatically and without warning.  If you are not getting them, you may need to power cycle your base station.

Kevin702
Aspirant
Aspirant

So it’s telling me to update my firmware but when I click the button on the app nothin* happens. Then I am told I need to upgrade the firmware. Do they test this stuff before they release it? 

Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
JessicaP
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi everyone,

Is anyone still experiencing an issue or receiving an error when updating their Base Station?

Kaskillah
Apprentice
Apprentice

I went ahead and formatted a flash drive on my laptop and that works fine. I quit depending on ARLO that they would actually provide any fix that would work. I have yet to see any firmware that has fixed any of my current problems.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
Metric
Initiate
Initiate

stuck on updating Firmware 1.14.1.1_2913 ,

base station error 4403,

gregwhiteshark
Aspirant
Aspirant

This 4403 error problem is not "SOLVED".   A lot of people can't access the base station immediatly to physically restart it by unplugging.   How on earth have you allowed this obviously terrible problem to go on for so long?   Just once I'd like to have my FORCED firmware update to work without this ERROR 4403 happening.   Not gonna recommend ARLO to any of my friends until this is worked out.  

@Kaskillah wrote:

I just got a notice that there is a firmmware update. How do you update it? I can't find anything that explains how to do it.

@Kaskillah wrote:

I just got a notice that there is a firmmware update. How do you update it? I can't find anything that explains how to do it.

Kaskillah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Right it isn't solved. I don't know how I may have pressed the "solve" button but I don't know how to unsolve it.

There are far worse problems with the ARLO system, such a delay in recording activity. I have video of me today driving up my driveway and it didn't start recording until I was almost right up to my garage!

I wrote a scathing one star review about it on Bestbuy where I bought this POS. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@gregwhiteshark wrote:

This 4403 error problem is not "SOLVED".   A lot of people can't access the base station immediatly to physically restart it by unplugging.   How on earth have you allowed this obviously terrible problem to go on for so long?   Just once I'd like to have my FORCED firmware update to work without this ERROR 4403 happening.   Not gonna recommend ARLO to any of my friends until this is worked out.  

@Kaskillah wrote:

@Kaskillah wrote:

I install a smart plug on the power to all of my base stations so I can restart them from anywhere on earth where I have an Internet connection.  But don’t use WeMo smart switches because their firmware updates often leave the smartplug itself totally powered off and in need of a physical button press to make it usable again.  

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry to tell you but you need to brute force the firmware updates by kiling the power to the base station and then cold booting it up. Like @AncientGeek I use a smart switch, after being stranded too many times with an inoperable system. The installation through the app hasn't worked for about 6 months.

And yes, apparently it's too much to ask from Arlo that they test their firmware including how to even install it without cutting the power.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
tomrum
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like many others I was away when I received "mandatory update" notices across all my cameras with a button to click to update the firmware. I tried repeatedly over several days to update using the "update button" with no results.  There was also a link in the Base Station setting section to update the firmware which did not work. I could not get a live view of my cameras.

After being home for a few days I have checked the Communtiy and found that I needed to reboot to get the firmaware update. I rebooted and it took between 5 to 10 minutes for the Base Staion to become functional again. It was taking so long that I tought that rebooting had "bricked" my cameras and base station but I was wrong. If you reboot be patient it will eventually update and become functional. At least it did in my case.

Arlo Support sucks IMO. You have to find and solve problems on your own, using the Community. With as much money as Arlo charges for the cameras you would think that Support would be top notch.

Kaskillah
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I got a message from ARLO asking if I got the answer I needed.

"Did it solve your problem?

Click here to view the replies and mark one as an Accepted Solution.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!"

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Floridian
Guide
Guide

I have the same issues. No one was available to help me. I live 1000 miles from my base station and they want me to turn it off and on to reboot. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I have not been able to access my cameras now for 3 weeks. Feeling frustrated. Can anyone help solve this issue. Thanks. Floridian

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
I highly recommend a smart plug between a UPS and a base station. The UPS protects the base from power fluctuations and brief outages and the smart plug allows remote power cycling of the base station. I like TP link better than Wemo, but there are others as well.

Of course, this doesn’t help your current problem...only future problems.
Floridian
Guide
Guide

Thanks AncientGeek, I need an immediate solution to this existing issue. Thanks for replying though.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Floridian wrote:

Thanks AncientGeek, I need an immediate solution to this existing issue. Thanks for replying though.

I had a similar issue four years ago when a firmware update knocked five of my ten cameras off line while I was 4,000 miles away...and a few times when I was 80 miles away.  I was able to get relatives and a building contractor to help with power cycling the base or moving cameras around for me.  If there is anyone you trust (and who has a key) near your home, that’s about all you can do.