Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Download of video Android not working

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Android app and downloading videos stopped working. I can download them through web on PC. Any advice where it may go? On Google pixel 2 phone.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

This issue with downloaded videos appearing as a .bin file should now be resolved. Please download the latest version of the Android app version 2.13.1

If you still experience an issue please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you getting a message about downloads failing on the phone or is it just that you can't find them? They should download into your Downloads folder on the phone.

hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant
It will say "Downloading" but then does not state a failure nor a success message. I can't find the downloaded file on my android phone in the downloads folder.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When I download a video on my Android phone, I get a notification in the notification bar that the download has succeeded - do you get that? Is it possible that your phone storage is full? Have you rebooted the phone and maybe reinstalled the app?

hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant
The notification only states Downloading but not Download Complete as it used to do in the past and I would see the file. It appears to be since the newer version of the Arlo app.
I deinstalled the app, rebooted my phone, installed the app and granted access to storage when prompted. No success. Other ideas?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try on another mobile device. If that works, it's something about your phone which could be no storage space or some sort of corruption. In that case, the fastest but hardest thing to try is a reset of the phone.

hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can download the videos from my iPad. My Pixel 2 downloading still does not work, while it used to work before. I have 51 GB free on my mobile phone's storage and it is working fine other than the Arlo app's video function. Can the Arlo app be checked / updated?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hvanh wrote:

I can download the videos from my iPad. My Pixel 2 downloading still does not work, while it used to work before. I have 51 GB free on my mobile phone's storage and it is working fine other than the Arlo app's video function. Can the Arlo app be checked / updated?

A couple other people here have reported that when they download files from the Android app they are ending up with a .bin file instead of an .mp4.  At least one other poster is also using a Pixel phone.

@JamesC : is this a known issue that the developers are working on?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What version of the Arlo app are you using? Have you tried to remove & re-install the app and test again?

hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo android app version is 2.11.1_26070. yes I have removed and reinstalled the app but no luck downloading videos.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @hvanh

I have opened a case for you. Customer Support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided the case number for your reference: 41305488

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The latest Android app released yesterday gives me a download that's playable using VLC but trying to play it from the notification seems to still think it's a "bin" file. I have to use a file manager or other app to bring it up properly.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @jguerdat

Are you using a pixel phone as well?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, Pixel 3 XL, Android 10.

ehawes83
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am unable to view the downloads either when before the update I could. I did try VLC and was able to find them but I have to search. I am also using A Pixel 3 BUT this same problem happens from my computer and an iPhone. When I try to open the download it says it can't read the file. I hate not being able to use this system as expected.
hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, Arlo opened a case for this and I just sent additional info to Mark from the support team. Let's see what can be resolved with this Android issue.

I'm on Android version 10
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Rkm234
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have also this same problem with downloading videos from the Arlo cloud. My phone is Galaxy Note 10+ and Android 10. I can normally download videos to my old phone Galaxy S8 (Anroid 9). It looks like Anroid 10 has something to do with this problem.
hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting. I haven't heard an update yet from the Arlo Developers. This is useful information though for them to look into the matter further. Let's see when this will be fixed so we can download videos again. 

cdempsey92
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im calling Arlo now to see what is going on. 3 months is too long to be waiting. This is an easy fix for a developer if it worked before.

Endmerku
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here also Samsung S10... Last month I could download videos from library, now it stopped. Reinstall and other attempts did not help a bit.
Bert76
Aspirant
Aspirant
since a few weeks I can no longer download movies from the library with the smartphone.
You can click on download but nothing happens anymore.
This works normally via the normal PC.
I use the latest software on smartphone and the latest app available.
the app gets all possible rights at the settings.
I have already reset the smarthone to factory settings and have Arlo installed again.
I use Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Pro 3, I cannot download anything

App: 2.12.3_27015
Smartphone: Samsung S10 Android 10
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @cdempsey92

I have a few questions for you, Which device are you experiencing this issue with? What version of the Arlo app are you using?

hvanh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mobile device: Google Pixel 2

Arlo app version: 2.12.3_27015

Android Version 10

Would you have an expected update on when the fix would be released? 

This has been going on for a long time and has been a significant disappointment in the performance of the Arlo product. I would not currently recommended this product to my friends. I appreciate your timely and effective support to resolve this issue.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Endmerku

Which version of the Arlo Mobile App are you using?