Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Double Notifications

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Spencerb
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo system recently stopped recording and detecting motion for a few days. Couldn’t figure out the problem and called Support. They had me unplug everything, reinstall the app... basically every default fix possible and it did work momentarily.

Now I realize that anytime I view the camera through my HomeKit Home app on my iPhone it will cause the motion detector to stay switched on and that’s what causes Arlo to stop making recordings, because the sensor is fully switched on nonstop. The only way to make the sensor ready to detect motion again is to unplug the base station and plug it in again.

Now I have to unplug the basestation whenever I use HomeKit with Arlo. So that functionality is basically useless for me. Does not work at all with HomeKit anymore for some reason. I’ve had this system for a long time and have had no issues.

Now, just as annoying if not more annoying is that I get double notifications every time it does detect motion. This did not start until recently when they had me reinstall the app.

I’ve seen other posts on here by people looking for help with the same problem that is being marked as “solved” when a rep from Arlo comes on and says “Delete the app and reinstall it.” but that does not work at all.

So it seems like functionality with HomeKit isn’t an option anymore, but this double notifications thing seems like something that could be fixed.

Does anyone have better experiences with other similar wireless cameras that are more compatible with HomeKit?
5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Spencerb wrote:

Now I realize that anytime I view the camera through my HomeKit Home app on my iPhone it will cause the motion detector to stay switched on and that’s what causes Arlo to stop making recordings, because the sensor is fully switched on nonstop. The only way to make the sensor ready to detect motion again is to unplug the base station and plug it in again.

The work-around might well be needed, but I think the explanation can't be right.  Normally the motion detection is always enabled, and it is enabled in the camera (not the base).  Perhaps the camera is continuing to live stream (to nowhere)?

What else did you try?  For instance - disarm, and re-arm the base?  Or disable/reenable the camera?

Spencerb
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB Yes. It appears that it thinks it continues to live stream and doesn’t end until I disconnect the basestation.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Spencerb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. If you read my post I clearly state that I contacted them at the very beginning.

I’m guessing that ShayneS is a bot that makes posts sending people to customer support maybe?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Spencerb

Sorry for missing that information, I must have read that part too fast. I have escalated the issues you described in your OP. The escalations team will be contacting you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.