Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the pro camera have a live viewing feature?

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought 3 Pro cameras, lights, base and hub. I think  am going to be disappointed. It seems that these cameras do not give a live picture or stream. True? They only record when there is motion. I looked for a live button, but there is none. Is there a way?

23 REPLIES 23
yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmmmm. Now I am not sure which camera I have. I guess there is one simply called Arlo. That might be mine, I am not sure. I just found out that the camera fooled me. It streams live, but it takes over 40 seconds for me to see what the camera sees. Why is that? I also tried the audio. There is a camera button in the app, but it doesn't seem to work. To get what I want, (live pic or stream and audio), which one would I have to upgrade to, if I don't have it. Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yubetcha wrote:

Hmmmm. Now I am not sure which camera I have. I guess there is one simply called Arlo. That might be mine, I am not sure.

Does your camera use four CR123 batteries?  Or does it have a rectangular rechargable battery?

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

A rectangular rechargeable. You may think it is strange that I don't know which one I have. I bought these at QVC, and they didn't show which model it is. It has 3 cameras, 2 lights, a bridge and a base. Is it normal for there to be a 40 second lag? (and it takes a minute or two just to connect). Are all Arlo cameras like this? Thanks

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

To clarify, QVC says it is the Arlo Pro 3 pack. So I guess I have the Arlo Pro

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The pro does have audio - I'm not sure from your post whether you are hearing it or not.

Sometimes there is excessive lag - not sure exactly why that is.  One thing to try is restart the base, and see if that helps.

I see from the post that sometimes you are seeing 40 seconds of lag.  Can you give us some idea of the typical lag?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Isn't there a label inside the thing?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tested it at various times day and night. It always takes 1 minute t o 1-1/2 minutes just to connect.  The lag is always 25 to 35 seconds. Could the distance from the base cause it? The base is connected to my router. The camera is about 65 to 70 feet from the base with walls in between. The wifi is a mesh wifi with connections all around the house.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW, @michaelkenward my setup instructions didn't tell how to connect the base to the router wirelessly. It provided the cable and told me to plug it into the router. Is wireless a better setup? Would it help if the base is approximately mid distance between the router and the camera?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@yubetcha

The base station requires a wired connection to your Modem/Router/Extender to operate. Wireless capability is not supported.

It sounds like you may have some interference from your router or a device(s) in the area. Have you tired to move the base a little further from your router and test again?

Which firmware version is your base station running? you can find this in Settings > My devices > Select the base > Device Info > Firmware. 

Also, which Phone/Device/Model/OS are you using with your system?

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I can't move my base because I can't move my router. The router is connected to my computer.  Perhaps I should just return this thing and get something else.  30 to 40 second constant lag and 1 minute to connect will not work for me. By the time someone comes to the door, they are gone by the time I look. Thank you anyway. I appreciate your help.  If I try something else, I will let you know. Thank you.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oops. Forgot to answer your questions.
Firmware: 1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a

iphone 7,  and Windows 10.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would the problem be fixed if I used 50 feet or 100 feet ethernet cable? Then I could put the base closer to the camera. Would you recommend that? Would that fix the problem? Thanks.

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just so you know, my camera is 200 feet from the base and my base is 1ft away from router. However, Arlo has went down hill since I bought mine years ago. It used to work much better, and I now also have recording issues and lag time as well. Hopefully it will get better. My thought is that it’s a bad time to get into this system. Until they hire people that can fix all their software problems, you will be frustrated for a long time.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @yubetcha

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to try and move your base a little further from the router (1-2') not a new location, to see if it may be interfering with your router or a device in that area.

What iOS version are you using with your iPhone 7?

Also, is it possible to try & bring the camera you are experiencing the issue with closer, to see if there is a distance/interference issue occurring? 

-Q "Would the problem be fixed if I used 50 feet or 100 feet ethernet cable? Then I could put the base closer to the camera. Would you recommend that? Would that fix the problem? Thanks."

-A  In any situation, having the base station closer to the camera is ideal for range. That said, the cameras are designed to be placed roughly 300' from the base station. Of course the range may be affected by interference, trees, walls, buildings etc. The issue may be related to a few things, such as range, software, App versions, operating system on your phone being outdated.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, harley239. I appreciate your input.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

My phone was just updated a few days ago to the latest version.

300 feet?! And my camera is only about 65 or 70. There are only 5 walls between. It seems to me that 65 feet even with 5 walls should be okay. Right? I just now put the camera next to the base. It took only 10 seconds to connect and give a live picture.  However, it is not detecting motion (in utilities) and it is not showing me the picture that it should be. I am confused.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now I have another problem. I log in to this website to my account and see my camera views. Now it tells me I need to upgrade to the latest version of Flash. I did that and even rebooted. It still tells me that same message. And on my phone, the camera I moved won't show me a picture, but the other camera seems fine. I don't know what to think.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much. I will contact them. I appreciate it.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Before contacting them, I tried one last thing. I "removed the device" (problem camera) and reinstalled it. Now it is working again.

Now I have the camera within 40 inches from the base. It took 6 seconds to connect and a 1 to 2 second lag time. Just what I was looking for. So I guess distance is the problem (70 feet before). 

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Back to ethernet cable.... do you know much about them? If I get a 30 foot cable, that would put the base at 30 feet from the computer, and about 40 feet from the camera. Is there much signal loss across that distance back to the computer if any?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@yubetcha

There won't be any signal loss in terms of the ethernet cable length. If you still having delay, Is there any devices, routers close to your base station? you may need to just move it a few feet way if so & test the range/signal again. Did you try this previously?

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. I moved it as far as the cable would allow which wasn't much. No change.

yubetcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot to answer your question. The only router is the one it is plugged into. There is also a wireless printer. That's all