Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Compatibility between Arlo Pro 1 and Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
ptsere
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Arlo Community,

So I am one of the people who bought the Arlo Pro system with 6 cameras just a few days before Arlo Pro 2 (AP2) came out (I hate it when that happens!).  One of the cons of the Arlo Pro 1 (AP1) is the 720p resolution which is solved in the AP2 system.  So now I have the following questions:

1) Can I buy AP2 cameras and connect them to my base station from my AP1 system? If yes, do all the new features work normally?

2) What is the maximum number of cameras that I can connect with the AP1 base station?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All wireless cameras connect to all base stations.  You can connect up to 15 cameras to one base but only 5 can stream at once on any of the bases. Also, don't forget about the limit for the free plan is 5.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All wireless cameras connect to all base stations.  You can connect up to 15 cameras to one base but only 5 can stream at once on any of the bases. Also, don't forget about the limit for the free plan is 5.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi, I've started looking into security cameras and I'm not sure the best avenue to take. I'm primarily concerned with having a camera near my front door and I was looking at the Arlo Pro, as I like the idea of being able to speak to someone. But then I noticed that for the same price as one Pro camera (on Amazon), I could buy two of the original cameras. That would allow me to have one for the front of the house, and one in the back. But then I wouldn't have a camera with a speaker in the front. And then, I started thinking that it might be nice to have one set up inside my home as well (though I wonder if that would be overkill), so maybe I should get three—one Pro, two originals. Are the original and Pro cameras interchangeable? Could I buy the set of two original cameras and then add on one Pro camera? Or would it make more sense to buy the Pro setup, and then add on two originals? Looking for my best options based on what's feasible as well as what makes the most sense financially. Any advice is appreciated!

brh
Master
Master

@Retired_Member

Sure you can mix and match cameras and base stations. All the wire free, pro and pro2 cameras will work with either base station. I have my Pro cameras outside where I want the ability to hear and speak. My wire free cameras are inside where I don't need the two way talk, plus the wire free camera batteries can be expensive and a pain to climb up a ladder to change. The inside wire free cameras can be set to only record when you are away from home. The Pro and Pro2 cameras can also have their batteries stay charged with the Arlo solar panels, so you basically hang them and forget about them.

Three things you need to know:

1) Right now the 2 way talk does not work with Apple devices using the latest IOS upgrades. I believe apple bricked that feature with the 11.3 update. Arlo is working on a fix for that and hopefully will have the fix out shortly.

2) The Arlo outside adapter to keep the cameras continuously powered with AC power was recalled and we are not sure when a replacement will be available. This is not as big a deal on the Pro cameras as it is on the Pro2 cameras because the Pro2 cameras have features that only work when plugged into AC.

3) While some people have used rechargeable battteries with the wire free cameras, it is not the way the cameras were designed for and the batteries will not last as long as the nonrechargeable ones.

I also installed a Skybell video and motion detecting doorbell which also has two way talk.

Brian

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Yes all compatible.

The Pro/Pro 2 base has a siren built in and has external USB storage option, the original does not.

The originals don't come with rechargeable batteries but you can get sets that will work with them.

In my opinion, look for a good deal on the Arlo Pro or Pro2 and get combinations of those. 

If you still want to the cheaper price of the original cameras, then I would get a pro base plus camera or two and then add the originals to that base.

Be aware that the 2 way audio does work, but is not as instantaneous as most folks expect.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any of the Arlo cameras ( Arlo, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro2 ) will work with any of the bases...

IMO, the Pro cameras with a Pro base are the better way to go over the original Arlo as the response time is better.

Also, the Pro base has a siren and the Pro cameras have the option to use audio (which Arlo doesn't )... additionally, there is a usb slot on the Pro base that can use a usb stick to have local backup of your videos.

Arlo btw, uses 4-123 type batteries ( or 4 rechargeable 123 cells ) while the Pro cameras uses a rechargable battery pack...not interchangeable.

( Pro2 version of cameras are out there also, but IMO again, the benefit is only if you are going to power them by ac all the time) read the specs as to each camera in Product page

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't realize that the Arlo doesn't come with rechargeable batteries. Maybe I'll opt for two Pros for exterior and one Arlo for interior.

Now, can you turn the cameras off and on remotely? If I install one inside, I don't feel the need to having it running 24-7. I work from home and don't need an update every time my cat mosies through the kitchen. Could I turn them off using a phone app and only turn them when needed?

brh
Master
Master

@Retired_Member

Yes. One usually arms/disarms the cameras through the phone app. You can create additional Modes and Rules and even use scheduling. 

You can often find bargains on Pro systems with 2 cameras on Amazon and QVC. Then, just look for deals on the original cameras without the base stations. There also plenty of bargains to be had for them also. I just purchased one of these sets from QVC as the price was too good to turn down. 

Brian