Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charge Arlo Pro with a third party solar panel

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
larynx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to connect a 30W solar panel with a USB connection to an Arlo Pro camera and it is complaining that it cannot be charged, I'm using the USB cable that came with the camera.

The message I'm getting is "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use the power adapter designed for your camera."

I'm trying to charge with that panel because I've used the official Arlo solar panel and it doesn't charge enough. I'm in Florida so there's plenty of sun but the camera dies after a couple of weeks

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The input to the Arlo cameras have a tight tolerance to the voltage... if it doesn't work, then it prob won't and not much can be done. ( unless you want to get/build a external 5v source and power that via the new panel, def a DIY project )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
larynx
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's weird because the Arlo charger says it has an output of 5V and the panel has built-in USB which are 5V as well.

This is the panel I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-30W-Waterproof-Foldable-PowerPort/dp/B07MG4HY94

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you used a voltmeter on the solar panel output in sun.... I have on an arlo brand and can say it's not 5v exactly....

and it's inknown if arlo uses a sense line.

Morse is faster than texting!
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

FWIW, I live in Phoenix and my official Arlo solar panel has no trouble keeping my Arlo Pro camera charged. I do frequently get charging fault error messages but battery charges despite those.