Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I upgrade my base station to view locally stored videos?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wingfan13
Tutor
Tutor

I have the Arlo Pro cameras with VMB4000 base station.  I bought the doorbell not realizing that it will not record video once your subscription is up after 3 months.  I think this is the insane after buying the 4 camera set and spending all this money.  It wasn't very clear at all that this would not function the same as the cameras.  Oh well.   I then decided to go out an buy a external HD to connect to the base station to record locally so I could see the video doorbell.  Now I have just found out that you cannot view those locally stored videos in the app unless you have the newer base stations (correct me if I am wrong).   So, what are my options here ?  Can I just buy an upgraded base station to make this feature work ?  Do they sell just the base station ?  

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wingfan13 wrote:

Can I just buy an upgraded base station to make this feature work ?  Do they sell just the base station ?  

Yes, you can purchase either smarthub (VMB5000 or VMB4540).  Though standalone VMB4540s are hard to find.

The break-even over a paid single-camera subscription is pretty long.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, you can see the videos from a VMB4000 but you must safely eject the drive so you can view them on a computer. The newer bases/hubs can be viewed via the app so no ejection is needed.

Yes, you can buy just a new hub or base. The 4540 and 5000 models are both for sale individually starting at ~$100. A quick Google will get you results to pick from.