Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I make the base station wireless or does it need to be tethered to my router.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
srqre1
Follower
Follower

Just picked up my Arlo Pro today. Can I make the base station wireless or does it need to be tethered to my router.

Great system, however for cool wireless camera, you would think that the base station could be wireless as well. My router is in the front of my home and I am having range issues for cameras in the backyard. If I could place the base station in the middle of the home it certainly would solve the issue...

Thanks for any tips or advice.

1 REPLY 1
steve_t
Master Master
Master

To help locate your base station in the most central location of your home with respect to the cameras, consider a wifi extender eg http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX3700.aspx

The base station will plug into the range extender's ethernet port to give it internet access.

Obviously it would be better if your home wifi router was already in the most central part of your home both for ease of setting up the Arlo base station and for covering your whole home with adequate wifi