Cameras won't record motion?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
HumbleHammer
Aspirant
Aspirant

VERY frustrated. These cameras aren't cheap. I've had 3 arlo pro 1s for a couple of years now going strong. They record motion and work perfectly. I recently bought 3 arlo pro 2's in hopes of better quality, they wouldn't record motion. I believe I read that cameras after the arlo pros required a subscription to record motion... What a joke. 

I then purchased 2 older arlo pro 1s just like the three I already own and are working. I hook them up, all seems well and... These two also don't record motion. WHY. 

Again THESE AREN'T CHEAP PRODUCTS. WHY. 

Firmware are the same as is most of the info except the hardware isn't h11 like my original pros but are h14. I couldn't possibly ever know what hardware is installed on the product until I own it so if that's the issue... Why. 

Can anyone explain to me why only my three original cameras work and nothing else? The motion icon is Grey (showing that it's "on" on my original 3 but the two arlo pro 1s I just got do not, showing that they aren't recording motion.

(To avoid confusion, they're used cameras, not "new" cameras so they shouldn't have any new locks or restrictions some of the new ones have) 

I set rules in the armed mode to record on motion and audio for all 5 cameras so they're set up identically? 

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HumbleHammer wrote:

I recently bought 3 arlo pro 2's in hopes of better quality, they wouldn't record motion. I believe I read that cameras after the arlo pros required a subscription to record motion.

Pro 2 cameras also were sold with 7 days of free cloud storage.  Other Pro models (Pro 3, Pro 4, Pro 5s) do require a subscription for cloud storage.

@HumbleHammer wrote:

I set rules in the armed mode to record on motion and audio for all 5 cameras so they're set up identically? 

Can you make a manual recording while livestreaming one of the problem cameras?

HumbleHammer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screenshot_3.png
Above you will see that the 2 cameras in question do NOT have the motion detection icon highlighted while my original three, do.

Screenshot_4.png
Above you will vaguely see that they have a rule and trust me when I say they're all the same. If audio or motion is detected > record. Only my original three cameras actually record.

Screenshot_5.png
Above you'll see the two cameras in question can be manually live viewed.

Screenshot_6.png
Above you will see that I can also make a MANUAL recording and they DO show up in the library.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HumbleHammer wrote:

Above you'll see the two cameras in question can be manually live viewed.
Above you will see that I can also make a MANUAL recording and they DO show up in the library.

Which proves that the two added cameras do still have the free 7-day cloud storage.

I suggest removing one of them from the account and then re-adding it.  That could resolve the problem.

I am tagging the mods - @BrookeN , @JamesC , @ShayneS - in case they have other suggestions.

Note that the free storage always had a limit of no more than 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account.  But you appear to be at the limit, not over it.

HumbleHammer
Aspirant
Aspirant

When you say "remove from the account" what does that process look like? Can i just "remove" the device and that's it or are these extra steps? I ask because of your wording. Removing the device is essentially removing it from the hub but when you say account, i want to know if that's something different/separate.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HumbleHammer wrote:

Removing the device is essentially removing it from the hub but when you say account, i want to know if that's something different/separate.

I'm talking about the remove device control in the device settings.  It removes the camera from both the hub and the account.

HumbleHammer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I figured out the issue. The rules for the modes weren't as straight forward as I once thought even though it's written the way you do code when you want something executed.
I had several cameras on the same rule but only one of the cameras could trigger it. Opting to have a rule for each camera on its own and executing that rule when only that one camera triggered it was the key.

When realised i of course double checked the pro 2 cameras and yes, sadly they only record to the USB device. Something i wouldn't care too much about if i could set up an FTP client to access it easily but i don't know if that's do-able. But we do have the 5 working in the house now, and that's enough for me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HumbleHammer wrote:

I had several cameras on the same rule but only one of the cameras could trigger it. 

That is called cross-triggering, and it is actually a feature.  It lets you get different views of the same scene, even when some of the cameras are too far away from the motion to trigger.

@HumbleHammer wrote:

When realised i of course double checked the pro 2 cameras and yes, sadly they only record to the USB device. 

That is NOT true.  The pro 2 cameras also were sold with the free 7-day cloud storage.  There is a limit of 5 unsubscribed cameras per account in order to get that free storage.  Did you go over the limit when you tested the Pro 2s?

Also, did you double-check that you in fact have Pro 2 cameras, and not something newer?  If you open the housing and remove the battery, there is a label inside.