Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras won't connect for live feed & rapid battery drain. Happened 3 times.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Sgravitt
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro cameras have stopped connecting to the base station when I try to open a live feed & they are draining batteries @ 2% +/- an hour. This is the third time this has happened & I believe these episodes coincide with base station firmware updates. Tech support offers little or no help. After the first episode in late 2020, I noticed an Arlo wifi network in the house that I do not believe was there before. I moved the base station 10 feet away from the router & it was working great until all of the sudden all five cameras stopped connection & the batteries began draining again.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's always been an Arlo WiFi network for these cameras. It's the way they connect to the base.

Since the issue is for all cameras, either the base is having a problem or there's something near the base that's interfering with the signal. Any device that uses the 2.4GHz band can cause this. Moving the base some may provide a clue.

Sgravitt
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have moved the base several times, it is now located approximately 10 feet from the wifi router. It worked perfectly for about two weeks following the last relocation. The problem arose spontaneously again without any changes being made to locations or settings.
Grigorescu50
Aspirant
Aspirant

ca peut etre le  bruillage intentionnel

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A brute force attempt to fix this would be to remove all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Note all settings, modes, rules, etc. first to speed the rebuild.

Sgravitt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have previously removed & reinstalled the devices. The location is quite isolated so it is highly unlikely that any jamming attempts would be coming from a neighboring property. The pattern really does seem to coincide with updates being pushed to the base by Arlo. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While I can't be sure, remember that firmware updates cause the devices to reboot. If something like the connection is marginal I could see it failing to reconnect. If something in the firmware changes the WiFi connection in some way, that could be an issue, too, but if it happens every time I wouldn't think that's the cause.

Sgravitt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not sure that every update causes a failure but it seems as though every failure coincides with an update. I am reasonably confident that it is base station related as it happens to all the cameras simultaneously. Rebooting the base will sometimes cause 1 or 2 cameras to become functional but does not halt the battery drain in  those cameras. The signal strength is good, some of the cameras are within 15 feet of the base with no metal in between just drywall / wood siding walls.