Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera keeps going offline. Switched cameras. Moved base station. Worked fine for 10 months.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
RustyLittle
Guide
Guide

I put up 6 cameras outside. No problems, only monir ones, for 10 months. Suddenly cameras start going offline. One location specifically accounts for 85% to 90% of the offline problems. Netgear replaced that camera. I switched a camera to that location while waiting on the replacment. It went offline too. Sorry Netgear, camera was OK afterall. Received the new camera, swithed it in to that location. Goes offline too. 3 cameras all go offline in that location. Others occasionally too, but that spot is a bad spot. Again, eveything was fine for 10 months. No new construction, etc. House is 1 1/2 years old. Originally the Base Station was 35' away. Two cameras were closer. I have now moved th Base Station to 12' from that location. It still constantly goes offline. When I say that, I mean that, for instance, it went offline yesterday. I put a fully charged battery in it, it came back online, but only stayed only for about 20 hours. It's offline again. It's at my backdoor. So no road traffic, etc. to cause super fast battery drain. I have cameras more than 75' away that stay online all the time. How can that location that worked from 35' away for 10 months suddendly have so many problems? No change in the structure. 3 cameras put there. Base Station moved to almost underneath it. I amgetting extrememly tired of this. I had been recommending it to friends. I now fell like I have betrayed them with a bad recommendation. Has anyone figured this offline stuff out??? Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RustyLittle
Guide
Guide

SOLVED (I think)... As noted above, I have had a camera that couldn't stay online for more than a day to a day and half. (1 of 6 cameras.) That was not the case for 10 months. Then suddenly one day, this behavior started. (No settings were changed.) The camera is over my back door. Now, nothing about the back of my house has changed. I am convinced this is due to a software change. The camera's video field is of the back covered patio and part of my pool. Obviously water moves with wind, light reflections change. I have a sun shade that has hold downs to keep it in place, but it too can move slightly with the wind. Somehow the camera with an update, can't prove it in court, became more sensitive to the slighest motion, like water moving, light refelections, the edges of the sun shade moving causing the shapes of shadows to change. What I did: ... I changed the sensitivity setting to a much lower setting. I have changed recording from until motion stops to a set amount of time. Since those changes my camera has stayed online. The battery has remained with a full to near full charge. Therefore, the problem was with the motion described above. The camera was draining the battery in less than 36 hours. I was not receiving notifications about constant video recording. Nor did my library contain lots of videos from that camera. But the software change that I believe occured must have had the camera doing exponentially more processing of the video field. I believe the engineers are trying to improve the system and figure out what to record and what not to. Adding better image processing looking for shapes of humans vs pets, etc., etc. It's a bad side effect to attempted improvements. I recommend to others that are having a similar problem, turn the sensitivty way down, even if just to test. Set to record on motion for a short period of time. See if it works for you too.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MEGLER
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same pproblem. Three of my cameras haven't recorded anything though I get motion say 3 min ago. 

I cannot keep track of the bear with disfunctionable junk.

Going off line is unacceptable . 

Not recording the bears movements is UNSAFE!

MEGLER
Tutor
Tutor

Yes,

I made four (4) grand misteaks.

1. Getting Arlo to start with

2. Giving an Arlo system to my soninlaw.

3. Recommending Arlo to my neighbors.

4. Signing up for 10 cameras for 30 day storage

Two camera are constantly going off line

Three cameras will no longer record video.

DO NOT BUY INTO THIS SYSTEM!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RustyLittle,

It's possible a source of interference at the cameras location is causing the issue. If you've isolated the issue to a very specific location, try relocating the camera for better results.

MEGLER,

What is the signal strength icon in the interface showing for the cameras that are going offline?

For the three cameras that do not record, what color is the running man on the Devices screen? A gray running man indicates the camera is not Armed. Check your rules to make sure your cameras are set up correctly to detect and record motion.

JamesC

RustyLittle
Guide
Guide

Thanks James. What I don't understand is why the camera functioned normally for 10 months with absolutely no issues. Even today the signal strength shown is full strength. It is mounted just above my back door. Nothing has changed in the area of the camera. It's a new house with no need for any remodeling, etc. I understood there may be a source of interference. I thought any new intereference might be near the base station, or in line with the base and the camera, inside the house. That's why I moved the base station from a room at the front of the house to a table top near the back door. I can literally take four steps from the base station and be underneath the camera. That camera is currently offline again. I removed the camera device from the base. I put a fully charged battery in the camera, then added it back to the base station. It stayed online for about 30 hours before going offline again. It's ridiculous a camera is 12' from the base station and the back of the house is all windows. The back door is 75% glass. The cameras and/or the base station need to have better antenas, a better signal, or something. There is an inherent problem with the design of this product. Time for Arlo Pro 2.0, 3.0 or whatever, with discounts for those that have the current system. Changing the camera position means repairing and painting the ceiling where it's mounted. Once moved, who knows if it will function there, and I could be be putting holes in my house that will have to be repaired again, and again, as I try to find the right spot. Not the solution I'm looking for considering it worked so long right where it is.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@RustyLittle wrote:

Thanks James. What I don't understand is why the camera functioned normally for 10 months with absolutely no issues. Even today the signal strength shown is full strength. It is mounted just above my back door. Nothing has changed in the area of the camera. It's a new house with no need for any remodeling, etc. I understood there may be a source of interference. I thought any new intereference might be near the base station, or in line with the base and the camera, inside the house. That's why I moved the base station from a room at the front of the house to a table top near the back door. I can literally take four steps from the base station and be underneath the camera. That camera is currently offline again. I removed the camera device from the base. I put a fully charged battery in the camera, then added it back to the base station. It stayed online for about 30 hours before going offline again. It's ridiculous a camera is 12' from the base station and the back of the house is all windows. The back door is 75% glass. The cameras and/or the base station need to have better antenas, a better signal, or something. There is an inherent problem with the design of this product. Time for Arlo Pro 2.0, 3.0 or whatever, with discounts for those that have the current system. Changing the camera position means repairing and painting the ceiling where it's mounted. Once moved, who knows if it will function there, and I could be be putting holes in my house that will have to be repaired again, and again, as I try to find the right spot. Not the solution I'm looking for considering it worked so long right where it is.

You're not alone.. Same here.. All system been working fine and all of a sudden after the big disaster and updates a few weeks ago one of my cameras suddenly having problems and so does my sister's cam going offline too like yours.. It hasn't been moved or anything.. It's frustrating but we move on and replaced the whole system and so far it's working for now... Good thing we bought this system at Costco which we can return without any problems... Money not wasted at all.. Ofcourse, who knows how long will this hold until Arlo decides to update again... 

mdelgado007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, same issue. System has been in same spot for 2 years no issues to any of the 4 wireless cameras. Then up till Feb 2018 they went offline and I cant get them connected. Have done ever step to reset, unintall, reinstall, etc. Even went to get an Arlo pro new base thinking other one was bad. Nope same thing, Arlo offline. Contacted support and they said I need to make sure my ports 80, 443, and 123 are open. What the heck? How is that possible if everything was working before March updates rolled out. So pissed. 

Neaville
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here.  I've had my system in for well over 1 year and these problems just started this week.  All 3 of my cameras are now off-line and I've tried everything today.  I just replaced the batteries last weekend in all 3 cameras and everything was working just fine.  I noticed that I stopped getting alerts and decided to check my cameras.  When I check my library, 2 of them stopped working on April 12 and the other 1 stopped working today.  I've restarted the base, did the sync, I even removed one of the cameras and was able to add it back but as soon as I did, it went off-line again.  ARGH!  Last thing I did, powered everything down and removed batteries and reset everything.  As of right now, I have 2 cameras back on-line but I agree with the earlier post, we can't have this happen if we are traveling or out of town or even across town at work during the day.  The system is supposed to give us a peace of mind and the ability to check on our properties as we see fit.  If this continues to happen and if I'm told that I need to upgrade or buy new cameras from Arlo, I will have to consider a different solution.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat were the LEDs on the base showing? That's important information.

It may be fastest and overall less aggravating to reset the system and start fresh. Maybe something went goofy that a reset would cure.

Make notes of your various settings and modes/rules/schedule. Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices. Use the Add Device button in the Devices tab to claim the base. Sync the cameras. Check firmware versions. Better?

RustyLittle
Guide
Guide

All the LEDs are always green unless I am rebooting, which I do frequently since my Arlo Pro has become so unrealiable.

You know what's faster than climbing a ladder 12 times, 6 cameras twice, for a complete reset of the entire Arlo system? Climbing the ladder 6 times, taking the entire system out on my driveway and running over it until it is nothing but little pieces of plastic and transistors. I am sick of this! I am very close to actually pulverizing the entire system!

Netgear's Arlo engineers have created a buggy system. After one or more updates, this became more trouble than it is worth. This forum, as well as reviews across the world, are full of Netgear Arlo customers that suffer the same as I do with Arlo Pro, and Arlo Pro 2.

So...

(1) Netgear needs to admit there is a problem and that they are working to fix it as soon as possible.

(2) The engineers need to recreate the problem, isolate it, fix it, test it rigorously to be sure it's fixed.

(3) Publicly state the fix is out and systems will auto update or can be updated manually.

(4) Get everyone that has, and keeps Arlo Pro, a stable and reliable product.

RustyLittle
Guide
Guide

SOLVED (I think)... As noted above, I have had a camera that couldn't stay online for more than a day to a day and half. (1 of 6 cameras.) That was not the case for 10 months. Then suddenly one day, this behavior started. (No settings were changed.) The camera is over my back door. Now, nothing about the back of my house has changed. I am convinced this is due to a software change. The camera's video field is of the back covered patio and part of my pool. Obviously water moves with wind, light reflections change. I have a sun shade that has hold downs to keep it in place, but it too can move slightly with the wind. Somehow the camera with an update, can't prove it in court, became more sensitive to the slighest motion, like water moving, light refelections, the edges of the sun shade moving causing the shapes of shadows to change. What I did: ... I changed the sensitivity setting to a much lower setting. I have changed recording from until motion stops to a set amount of time. Since those changes my camera has stayed online. The battery has remained with a full to near full charge. Therefore, the problem was with the motion described above. The camera was draining the battery in less than 36 hours. I was not receiving notifications about constant video recording. Nor did my library contain lots of videos from that camera. But the software change that I believe occured must have had the camera doing exponentially more processing of the video field. I believe the engineers are trying to improve the system and figure out what to record and what not to. Adding better image processing looking for shapes of humans vs pets, etc., etc. It's a bad side effect to attempted improvements. I recommend to others that are having a similar problem, turn the sensitivty way down, even if just to test. Set to record on motion for a short period of time. See if it works for you too.