Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Resolution & FPS in both night and normal vision?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mot37
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've reviewed the data sheets, documentation, and even called Support but can't find tech specs on the cameras.

The tech I talked to in the phone call said that the resolution of the new arlo pro cameras is the same as the existing ones, 720p, or 1280x(something).  He also said that the fps was 24.

He wasn't certain about the night mode fps with the IR and said that his sales group still doesn't ahve this information from the engineering department.

Since I'm considering pre-ordering but want to compare Arlo Pro's system with others on the market, I'd like to get a technical, in depth answer about what exactly is the max resolution (don't tell me HD quality please as the whitesheets do) and fps in both normal and night modes?  Also, what is the typical file size of recordings at that max resolution knowing that clip lengths can vary but assume a 10 second clip ?

I already have a, now defunct, logitech alert system so I'm a little more in the know on these systems and capabilities.  More technical the reply and reference the better!

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We all know the same stuff. It is 720p and, I suspect, is exactly the same as the older cameras. Here's the info I can glean from the older camera at best quality for a night video with IR illumination:

General
Complete name : E:\ArloDownload\20161012\2016-10-12_233846_Deck.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Adobe Flash
Codec ID : f4v (isom/mp42/m4v )
File size : 2.54 MiB
Duration : 30s 34ms
Overall bit rate : 709 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2016-10-13 03:38:49
Tagged date : UTC 2016-10-13 03:38:49

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=48
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 30s 34ms
Bit rate : 707 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 24.039 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.810 fps
Maximum frame rate : 24.390 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.032
Stream size : 2.53 MiB (100%)
Title : WowzaStreamingEngine
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2016-10-13 03:38:49
Tagged date : UTC 2016-10-13 03:38:49

mot37
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  Since there aren't any pre-order specials or promos, I may wait for it to be released and get some independent reviews that can verify.  Sure beats getting it, not like it, returning it.

Just want to confirm those fps in night mode.  My Logitech Alert didn't do so bad with IR, but it gets 5fps and tons of motion blur as a result.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All I can say is what's been posted. The frame rate doesn't seem to change whether day or nighttime.