Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brand new Pro, no cameras will sync

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don't you just love when you've spent a good 1000€ on "a quality brand" just to find out they don't work at all and the cheapest 20€ China cameras just work out of the box?

Yeah I'm a bit pissed off.. 🙂

So I've setup my base unit and it all green and happy.
Camera next to it and I press the sync button on top and it starts to flash green, press the sync button on the camera and it flashes blue. A few minutes later the ******* stops flashing green and the camera subsequently flashes orange like crazy and shuts down.
This didn't just happen with one camera or two, no no ALL FOUR does the same thing.

Factory reset and removal of device from my account and armed/disarmed and what not doesn't help.

If I check Bluetooth devices via my phone I can see two devices pop up (base and camera I presume) when I press respective sync buttons so Bluetooth seems to be working.. But the two **************** just refuses to pair..

So, what do I do now?
I'm on the verge of a either throwing it in the pool or hand it back to the store in a bag.

12 REPLIES 12
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Perhaps a faulty base station?

Neither the camera nor the base work via Bluetooth so I'm not sure how you're seeing them. If you're referring to wifi, the base has an SSID but the camera doesn't so that doesn't stack up either.

If you want to continue with these, I'd suggest you contact support first (down the bottom of the page here) or, since it sounds like you've followed instructions and have had no luck, see if the store you bought the system from will exchange it for a new one. Obviously, if you have a faulty base station, it's a rare occurrence and the vast majority of systems do actually work.

Good luck!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When syncing cameras, be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it.

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yup, tried that as well.. Still no go so now it's back to the store.. Problem is that I'll probably have to wait 2-4 weeks for a new batch as all stocks in Sweden are empty.. Not even Netgear have them in stock..

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice

@steve_t

I have a vague memory of the pairing being done via BT, itvs the only reason I can find on why you have to be within a meter of them as well. And stuff popped up in my phone when I pressed sync and I don't have any neighbors within BT reach so..

But yeah back to the store and then it's just to wait..
Really wanted them before I go on vacation but not much to do..

Thanks both of you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thyg0d,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC
Thanks did that but I had already done all their tests so it was just to return everything and hope they get new ones in stock before I go on vacation in a week but probably not.. Which is unfortunate.
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I have returned quite a bit of these systems ranges from 1-3 camera kits.. Yes, I've noticed some of them will not sync the first time when I put the batteries in but when I tried opening the battery latch the second/third time and simply taking it out and putting the battery back in with a bit of force and closing it.. The syncing actually worked.. The strange thing I found though after that, was it's likely to have problems later on such as battery draining faster or charging will take longer than it should and not going to 100% reading on the cam.. I do understand that only 80% is the actual but if the reading on the cam is not hitting the 100% then you don't get that full solid bar with lightning icon and no blue light coming out to your cam an indication of fully charged.. It may or may not be important but that's how it should work per manual.. 

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just short update.. Four new cameras same <¥~¥>¥®¥™¥>{¶{¦] |] ¦{¡{^¥ issues.. I thought netgear actually had some quality control but apparently it's all about ripping of customers.
ArloPro225
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

I am also facing similar issue. I had a troubleshooting session with Arlo support but no luck with them. Then I figured out its seems to be a compatibility issue. I have MG7550 for internet connectivity and when i plug ethernet cable between Arlo Base and my modem i see there is orange light at back. However if i use same connection from my internet modem to my laptop it work fine. So Arlo base is not getting properly connected to internet modem(Motorola MG7550). thats why camer are not getting sync.What you brand of internet modem. Try to use Netgear internet modem. When i borrowed netgear internet modem camera and base station are getting synced

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Orange light not working as expected sounds like a borked port or NIC cable but your reply gave me an idea,

what if a moron has programmed the base station.. Unfortunately it was true.. 

The base station has to be in the DMZ and the router has to have the DEF GW set in the DHCP in the router.

Normal equipment don't need any of this and understands that the DEF GW is the router but apparently this doesn't. Which is absolutely BS but at least it works now. 
Hopefully it continues to work with the base station inside the firewall as I don't think the base station is secure enough

to withstand hackers.. 

Thanks!

ginola
Aspirant
Aspirant
Brand New 2 camera system. No cameras will sync. Did all the usual trouble shooting, then called, spent 45 mins with support on phone. Advised me to do all the things I'd already done 3 times.. then when there were no more ideas, decides that I need to open ports . (Actually they thought one calls their isp to do this 😂 ) anyway, opened or checked that required ports were open... did whole delete reset install,still no sync..so I called back...then another 30 minutes to be instructed to do it all again ...until the inevitable conclusion that ' perhaps your cameras ..or your base station, or all 3..are defective..take it back to the store and swap it out.'.. no thanks, I've read enough on these boards to know that's unlikely to translate to immediate success...
Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Try to put it in the dmz, that did it for me..