Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brand New Arlo Pro VMC-4030 Camera Stuck in Boot/Firmware Update Loop

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tonykeyser
Guide
Guide

I recently purchased a new Arlo Pro 5-camera system from Amazon. I added 3 of the cameras to my existing Arlo system (Pro base station, 1 Arlo Pro Camera, and 4 Gen 1 Arlo Wire-Free Camera) to replace the older Gen 1 Arlo cameras.

After sycing them, all 3 requested a firmware update. Two of the cameras updated and went online. The third camera had a timeout error when downloading the firmware update. I noticed that the camera was flashing blue/amber so I continued to wait. Eventually it displayed a continuous amber LED and then shut off. Then the cycle continued. It did this many times and did not appear to be responding.

In an effort to correct the cycling, I tried removing that camera from my base station using the web utility, which I had no issues doing. Now I am unable to add it back in. The camera continues to perform this cycle,and I am unable to re-sync the camera to my base station. I am at a loss of how to proceed.

I have attempted to pull the battery when the amber light turns off for the several seconds during the cycle. This did not work either. The camera turns back on after replacing the battery and the cycling continues. It does not give an indication that it is reconnecting to my base station or anything else. Just the flashing blue/amber "firmware update" indicator. The night vision LEDs also turn on.

The camera was located about 10 feet from my base station during the initial firmware update, and was fully charged. Again, this cycling began during the initial firmware update. I did not pull the battery out until I was sure that there was already a malfunction ocurring, and did it ONLY during the period of the cycling that the LED turns off.

I am guessing since it now has no connection to the base station, that it is now unable to complete its firmware update OR that there was some sort of glitch during the download that is preventing it from applying the update properly. Is there a way to stop the cycling/hard reset/re-sync the camera?  Is it bricked? If so, I would like a replacement, because I am sure that it was nothing that I did to cause it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tonykeyser
Guide
Guide

UPDATE: I contacted support shortly after my last post and the tech ran me through the standard reboot options with no luck. They immediately then acknowledged that it probably bricked itself/was rendered unresponsive during it's firmware update. They issued an RMA and the new unit is in place and working.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Since it's a recent purchase, I'd take the camera and receipt back to the store you bought the cameras from and would show the shop assistant the fact that you put the battery in and it flashes blue/amber instead of flashing just blue. They should exchange it. Otherwise, go to the bottom of the page and click Contact Support and either chat to an agent to ring support and open a ticket to get an exchange.

That is what happens, right? You put the battery in and it immediately goes to flashing blue and amber

tonykeyser
Guide
Guide

Yes. That is what is happening basically. It takes about 30 seconds after re-inserting the battery for the LED to start flashing blue & amber. This goes on for 5 minutes or so and then it goes solid amber, shuts off, and then repeats.

tonykeyser
Guide
Guide

It's an Amazon.com purchase and is only a single camera that came as a set of 5, so going to see someone for a retail exchange would be a bit difficult. I will contact Arlo support tomorrow if I haven't made any headway overnight.

tonykeyser
Guide
Guide

UPDATE: I contacted support shortly after my last post and the tech ran me through the standard reboot options with no luck. They immediately then acknowledged that it probably bricked itself/was rendered unresponsive during it's firmware update. They issued an RMA and the new unit is in place and working.