Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best Way to Set Up Arlo with 5GHz

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
OffroadGirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is actually for the VMB4000.  I'm setting up a camera at the door of my motor home, and I have a hotspot that I'd like to leave at 5GHz, but the Arlo camera I have needs 2.4GHz.  If I use a WiFi extender and switch the hotspot to 2.4GHz, everything works well.  But I'd like to have the hotspot at 5GHz.  How would I do this?  I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible because only the base station needs an ethernet port.  Is there a way to convert 5GHz to 2.4GHz?  Thanks for the technical help, all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Do you have a problem that you are trying to fix?

As Tom said, as long as the base is attached to an ethernet port, it makes no difference what you do between the device providing the port and anywhere else upstream providing there is always an internet connection.

The cameras and the base sort themselves out setting up their own wifi network.

As long as you are connected to the internet in any way that you choose (2.4, 5, ethernet, cellular) you will be able to access your cameras. You will never be interacting directly with the cameras or their wifi network. You will always be speaking to them via the hard wired base.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First the Arlo cams will not link to an extender on their own... the cameras link only to the base units AND then the base needs an ethernet port to function.

In effect, the base sets up it's own wifi network JUST for the cameras and it does work on only 2.4ghz ( which you can not change )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
OffroadGirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Gotcha, I have a base and a camera that work fine with 2.4GHz.  I'm wondering if there is a technology solution between my 5GHz wireless network and the base that would dial it down to 2.4GHz.  The WiFi extender works well because it has an ethernet port -- I don't actually need it to extend my wireless network, just to provide the port.  I'm not sure how to technically start with a 5GHz network and end with a 2.4GHz camera.  What do you think?

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Do you have a problem that you are trying to fix?

As Tom said, as long as the base is attached to an ethernet port, it makes no difference what you do between the device providing the port and anywhere else upstream providing there is always an internet connection.

The cameras and the base sort themselves out setting up their own wifi network.

As long as you are connected to the internet in any way that you choose (2.4, 5, ethernet, cellular) you will be able to access your cameras. You will never be interacting directly with the cameras or their wifi network. You will always be speaking to them via the hard wired base.

OffroadGirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm, I was unable to connect when I had the hotspot set to 5GHz but I'll admit I only gave it one try -- I then switched to 2.4GHz and it worked right away so I assumed that was the issue.  It sounds like I need to give 5GHz another try.  This information has solved my issue as I didn't realize that it doesn't matter how the base station connects.  Thank you!

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Most WIFI extenders can be set at 2.4 GHz regardless of the router settings, just make sure both 2.4 and 5 GHz are enabled in router configuration.

Mine is set up that way and working just fine.