Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery not Charging

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jb27586
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo Pro cameras haven't been used in a few years, and I just pulled them back out to reconnect. The batteries are not taking a charge. I've checked all the connections and can confirm that they are detected by the base, the app, and they sync when plugged in using the charger. As soon as I unplug them, they go offline. How can I save the batteries?
8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jb27586 wrote:
 How can I save the batteries?

There is a process here you could try: https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

Jb27586
Aspirant
Aspirant
When I run through these steps the icon in the app is a plug instead of a lightning bolt. Is there any other solution to get the batteries to charge? Thanks for your help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That implies there's no connection between the battery  and camera or the battery is totally dead. Can you swap batteries between cameras if you have more? Have you checked the battery and camera contacts to be sure they're clean and undamaged?

Jb27586
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for jumping in to help. All connections are clean, everything is in like new condition with zero damage. I swapped out a few of the batteries and left them to charge for several hours each. Same result. I think the batteries all stopped taking a charge from being unused for too long. Can we replace them and see if that works? I have 5 dead batteries.  Thanks. 
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't need to wait a few hours....

plug in to charge and after ten mins if no charging icon shown, unplug and wait 5 mins then plug in again... repeat 6x before thinking the batt is dead.  Each time a small bit of charge gets into batt, it needs a min amount to properly start the charge cycle

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jb27586
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for sharing these instructions. So I ran through this process of charging for 10 minutes, unplug for 5 minutes, and repeat for at least 6 times on each battery, and they are still only showing the plug in the app instead of the battery when disconnected. There's also the message that the battery is too low. Is there anything else I can do to save these batteries? It would be a shame to have to replace everything after only a few years.
Jb27586
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomE ; @jguerdat ; @StephenB Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to get these cameras working? I've been trying to get them charged for over 2 weeks now, and starting to question if they can be saved. Does Arlo provide replacement batteries if this happens? Can I exchange them? I appreciate any assistance.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jb27586 wrote:

Does Arlo provide replacement batteries if this happens? Can I exchange them? I appreciate any assistance.

You said earlier that the cameras hadn't be used for some years.  If so, the batteries and cameras are long out of warranty - so Arlo won't exchange them.

But you can purchase Pro batteries.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA4400-100NAS.html  Maybe just get one, and see if that solves your problem.