Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JimCav
Guide
Guide

My Arlo Pro Base Station (VMB4000) will not boot up! I have tried pulling the power plug, left it unplugged for up to 5 minutes. pulled the internet connection for the base station and the router and reconnected both. Power on the base, all green lights come on then go off the power light then turns amber and stays that way, the other 2 light NEVER come on. I also have tried changing what port the Arlo is connected to in the router, no luck. And yes all ports on the router are working fine. This started a couple days ago and I have trying to get it working ever since. Just bought it in December 2018! System is down and not working at all. Anyone who knows what they are talking about, I would really appreciate your HELP.

115 REPLIES 115
doug725sa
Guide
Guide
Would think you've got to add it as a new device.

Spent time with tech support regarding my issue.... now I need to configure ports... crazy this arlo was plug and play when I bought it. I had it running in 15 mintues. Now I'm having to configure ports in hopes top just get an internet connection!!!!!
Maybe Netgear Arlo folks shouldn't have jacked up their update!
This is why you test before pushing updates!!!!!
TECH 101
doug725sa
Guide
Guide
And to put the icing on the cake, I asked the Arlo tech support guy.... ok I can do this port update, I'm sure is pretty easy. Would you please walk me through it since we're chatting, I'm running an ORBI router. ... oh no I can't, you'll have to contact the router manufacturer....
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey ZiggyUK,

I responded to your private message regarding your concern that you mentioned above.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dudemotogp

Is this the only camera with the syncing issue?

brh
Master
Master

@JimCav,

the following link is how one person solved this issue. Try steps 1,2 and 3 of the solution and see if that helps.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/The-amber-light-won-t-turn-to-green-on-Arlo-base-station/td-p/133...

Brian

kirwin97
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our Alro base station went offline this morning and I can't get it to come back online.  I did a factory reset and removed it and it won't add back.  

The power light always goes to Amber after any type of resets.

Every few minutes it goes green , internet light goes amber and then all lights go green but then it goes right back to only Amber light for power.

BTR32
Tutor
Tutor

Hi everyone,

I bought an Arlo Pro base six months ago and it worked perfectly until tonight. The device cannot connect to the Internet. It just shows an amber light. I tried to factory reset it by pressing only the reset button and nothing happens, not even after pressing it for one minute. It's not a problem with the Internet connection, since I connected an older base and it works perfectly. I also deleted the base from my account, and nothing. After a while, the three lights turn green, only to switch off and show the first amber light again one second later. I think it might still be searching for my Arlo Pro camera that might be still linked to it. Any suggestions? It is a really expensive device and a 6-month lifespan is by all means unacceptable (if it is indeed fried).

Thanks in advance.

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly sam issue here with solid amber light and MAC address 00-FF-FF...  Since so many people have the same issue recently, it has to be Arlo's issue.  Does anyone get any updates from Arlo?  Please help provide updates if any.  Thanks.

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

For those who have amber light and MAC address 00-FF-FF....  just come to my mind to see if we have any other things in common.  I use Comcast X-1 and Netgear Orbi.

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

@brh wrote:

@JimCav,

the following link is how one person solved this issue. Try steps 1,2 and 3 of the solution and see if that helps.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/The-amber-light-won-t-turn-to-green-on-Arlo-base-station/td-p/133...

Brian

I tried these.  NOT working for me...

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does configuring ports work for you?

@doug725sa wrote:
Would think you've got to add it as a new device.

Spent time with tech support regarding my issue.... now I need to configure ports... crazy this arlo was plug and play when I bought it. I had it running in 15 mintues. Now I'm having to configure ports in hopes top just get an internet connection!!!!!
Maybe Netgear Arlo folks shouldn't have jacked up their update!
This is why you test before pushing updates!!!!!
TECH 101

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the exact same issues (all symptoms), same warrenty date, from Costco.  Have you found any solutions yet?  Thanks.

@WMGXE00 wrote:

Hi ARLO Community,

My base station is the one with 3 led's power,internet and camera - VMB4000. Only the power led is solid amber the other ones do not have any lights.

If I check my router I can for short periods see that it connects and gets an ip address but notice the MAC address as 00:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and this does not look right to me.

For short periods every now and then the led's go all green on Power,Internet and Camera but only stay on for a second or two then back to only power solid amber. This sequence cycles approx.every 90 to 100 seconds. I have tried everything in the support pages and the community help to no avail. 😞 Any ideas Folks ? for help/point me the right direction please...

Warranty ended MAY 2019...

Tingyunliu
Apprentice
Apprentice

It appears that many people had the same issues (solid amber light, no internet connection, MAC address 00:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) happened in the last two weeks.  I'd think this is an Arlo issue.  Has Arlo find any solutions yet?  Or do you want everyone to open a case with Arlo?  Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like the power LED is amber - the one on the left. If that's the case, either the power supply or base has a problem. Use your 1 year warranty by contacting support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The power LED being amber means either the power supply or base has a problem. Use your 1 year warranty by contacting support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

JG2547
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday Arlo app showed Firmware update for base. I tapped on “Update”. App took me right back to the Firmware Update message. Tapped on “Update” again. App took me back to Firmware Update message again. Decided to update later from desktop instead of app. Went back to my devices page on app and saw that bast was offline. Siloe amber light on left of base. Did reboot. Lights went through  the boot up process, got 3 green lights which immediately turned to one amber on left. Disconnected power and ethernet. Reattached. Same result as above. Disconnected everything. Restarted modem. Reconnected everything. Same result as above. Troubleshooting advice says solid amber on left means base cannot connect to Arlo cloud. Any fix for this? Thanks you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Check to see if the ethernet led is lit on the router port that's connected to the base station.

Either way, I suggest contacting support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Brian6989
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same problem worked perfect went off line by itself now wont go back online tried reset internet at house is working perfectly
JG2547
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Modem light on ethernet port is amber rather than green. Tried several different ports, same thing.

@StephenB wrote:

Check to see if the ethernet led is lit on the router port that's connected to the base station.

Either way, I suggest contacting support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

JBug80
Initiate
Initiate
My BS is now in a boot loop. I tried to factory reset and that doesn’t work.
My BS has the amber power light, then goes green, internet and cameras go amber to green. Then everything goes out and the power is at amber and the whole thing starts over.

This all started right after the firmware update. I’m past my 1 year but they better fix this or Arlo is gone from my house.
ruskythegreat
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo base station is showing as offline in the app. I tried rebooting it but no joy. 

Looking up the DHCP lease on my router, I see it has an IP & it's responding to pings on the LAN but it's offline in the app. 

I saw on here that removing it from the app & re-claiming it has worked for some but not here. The app just stays on discovering your device.

ruskythegreat
Tutor
Tutor

Just to add, the power is steady on & internet light is flashing. No other LEDs are on.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this issue and an agent will be reaching out to you to gather more information as soon as possible.

JamesC

StevenL
Star
Star

So a 3 days ago or so I received a notice that there was a firmware update for the base station.  The app wouldn't let me bring up my cameras until the update was done.  I clicked on the update and received error 4001 (I think), and it would not update.  I tried a few times, and same response.  When I got home, I tried it again, and got the same response.  I couldn't go any further in the app.  All three lights on the front of the base unit were green.  I decided to re-boot the base unit by unplugging it for two minutes then plug it back in.  As it is rebooting, all three lights will turn green for about 3 seconds, then the only light that stays lit is the power light and it is amber.  At least when the update notice came up I had the internet connection and connection to the cameras,  Now there is nothing.  I re-booted the base station a few more times with the same result.  I tried to add the base station as a new device a few times as well, same result...an amber power light.  I then decided to just reset the whole system.  I pressed the reset button several times and it does nothing.  I can feel it "click", but nothing at all happens.  WTH arlo.  I went into my router settings, and everything appears OK.  Nothing else ethernet or wifi is affected in my house.  It's DEFINATELY the Arlo base station, which now is USELESS!  Any suggestions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming the flashing Internet LED is green, which means communication with the servers, start fresh. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Press and hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Claim the base. Sync the cameras. Update firmware as you go if prompted.