Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JimCav
Guide
Guide

My Arlo Pro Base Station (VMB4000) will not boot up! I have tried pulling the power plug, left it unplugged for up to 5 minutes. pulled the internet connection for the base station and the router and reconnected both. Power on the base, all green lights come on then go off the power light then turns amber and stays that way, the other 2 light NEVER come on. I also have tried changing what port the Arlo is connected to in the router, no luck. And yes all ports on the router are working fine. This started a couple days ago and I have trying to get it working ever since. Just bought it in December 2018! System is down and not working at all. Anyone who knows what they are talking about, I would really appreciate your HELP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello Everyone,

For those of you still experiencing this issue, please reach out to the arlo support team to further investigate the issue. I have provided the support link Here - Arlo Tech Support

Thank You

View solution in original post

115 REPLIES 115
WMGXE00
Tutor
Tutor

Hi ARLO Community,

My base station is the one with 3 led's power,internet and camera - VMB4000. Only the power led is solid amber the other ones do not have any lights.

If I check my router I can for short periods see that it connects and gets an ip address but notice the MAC address as 00:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and this does not look right to me.

For short periods every now and then the led's go all green on Power,Internet and Camera but only stay on for a second or two then back to only power solid amber. This sequence cycles approx.every 90 to 100 seconds. I have tried everything in the support pages and the community help to no avail. 😞 Any ideas Folks ? for help/point me the right direction please...

Warranty ended MAY 2019...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing to try is a full reset of the base ( you mentioned you tried all but no other info ).

remove all devices cameras first and then base... hold in the reset for 10 sec till all the leds flash amber.

let it reboot then reclaim base as if a new setup, add cameras.

If the full reboot is NG, it may just be a defective base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
WMGXE00
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks TomMac for your info...  I have tried all suggestions found on here as well as your help and already feared the "Base Station" likely to be Brown Bread. I will add my thoughts after I replace and get all back up and looking good.

Thanks again ... 🙂

brh
Master
Master

@JimCav,

If it were mine, I would do a factory reset of the base by holding a pin in the small hole in the back of the base until all three lights start blinking amber and start again from scratch. You will have to add your base back to your account and add all the cameras back.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try a factory reset since nothing else works.... Hold in reset for 10 sec till all the LEDs flash Amber... Reclaim base as if new, sync cameras

if NG , contact Arlo support for warranty

Morse is faster than texting!
JimCav
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried it. Held in the reset button up to 30 seconds and nothing. All 3 lights never started blinking, the power button stayed amber and the other 2 never responded. Any suggestions as to the next step? I was thinking of the reset but didn't want to do that step without prior guidance.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

JimCav
Guide
Guide

In the mean time what am I to do. I bought the system for a purpose, and now it is useless to me! How long will it take for someone to advise me or get the problem fixed?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

johnny0104
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue (MAC address and all). It started just as I was leaving for vacation for 8 days. So when I got back I tried all the suggestions in the arlo KB without success. I called Arlo Support on August 19th and he had me go through all the same steps then put me on hold for 10 minutes. When he came back he said it is a known issue, he opened a case and someone will contact me. It's been two days and I haven't heard back from anyone.

This is infurating. I've been without my security cameras for over 10 days now. If I ever hear back I will post. I suggest you call support and get a case opened. The support web site says they charge for phone call support but that never even came up.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey johnny0104,

From looking at your case, it looks you got in contact with the support team yesterday. If you're still awaiting a response from the support team but never heard back after 48 hours, don't hesitate to let me know through private message.

johnny0104
Tutor
Tutor
Hi

Thank you for reaching out. 

I messaged with a support tech 2 days ago and he said they would be sending me a new base station. He said I would receive a confirmation email yesterday but I did not receive it. Any info you can provide would be appreciated. My security cameras have been out of service for 14 days 😞

Thank you
John
target
Guide
Guide

I have exactly the same problem. MAC sets to 00-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF, and the same sequence. Just been in touch with Tech Support today, and they have told me that Engineering are aware of the issue and will send me an RMA (firware upgrade issue I wonder?)

The power LED stays on for a long time before the other LED sequence, which spans around 30s. The colour sequence for Power Internet | Camera is as follows:

amber | off   | off

amber | off   | green

green | amber | off

green | green | green

amber | off   | off

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup i am in line with everyone else. screen shot the log from router and send to support. been down for 4 days now.

hope this gets fixed soon

Arlo Support Case # 41061961

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Dudemotogp,

I've notified the support team regarding your case that you have not heard back. They should be reaching out to you through your case. Make sure when you are responding to your case to click on the link to update the case. If you don't hear back after 48 hours, feel free to let me know through private message.

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks, Jessica, just updated the case file. I see why I didn't get the case updated because the link in the email did not work so I thought I would reply back on email but that didn't work.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

It usually takes about 1-2 days for the support team to reach out so feel free to let me know through private message if you don't hear back after 2 days.

johnny0104
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks

Today I see I got twelve $16.99 charges for the shipping on my credit card. So I guess all those times it wasn’t completing something was happening.

John
doug725sa
Guide
Guide

Having exact same issue.... maybe ARLO did an update??? Seems odd that we have all experienced this issue at the same time!  Mine started last week also...first time been able to be in front of base station.  my MAC is 

00:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

I can see the base station attempting to connect on router, then fails.  Power light amber.

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

So my wife decided to just buy another base station. She could not wait any longer and needed the peace of mind to sleep at night.

She purchased the base and 1 camera setup. So i will have a 5 camera setup now. 

Hopefully, this doesn't update the base software and throw everything back again.

Looking at it from a different point of view everyone was told to reset base and reset the router. all fails

Go on the app to delete the base and start over. But the mac address is wrong so it cant be found on the app because it is not syncing right. So if the software gets fixed then how would the base gets updated if you can't sync to it with the MAC address. unless direct connecting through USB. 

am I right or wrong?

janettechud
Star
Star

About a week ago my cameras suddenly stopped working.  I have 4 on a Arlo Pro VMB4000 base station.  When i first started to investigate all that showed on my base station was a steady amber light on the power indicator.  No green lights or other lights.   I have unplugged our router, power and CAT 5 cable as required and reconnected in the correct order.  I have checked

that the router is good and turned  it on and off in the correct order.  I have checked that the router works with a different device using an ethernet cable and the device was connected to the internet using the CAT5 cable when the device's WIFI was turned off.  I have tried to reset the base station and all I get is an amber light on power.  The base station does not appear to reset.  My question is what else can I do as we have not changed digital environment.  Do I need a new base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the power LED is anything but green you have a problem. It can be either the power supply or base. If still within warranty, open a case with support for replacement.

ZiggyUK
Guide
Guide

Having the exact same trouble with my VMB4000

Gone back to using the cameras with the VMB3000 to test everything and that is working fine.

I agree with others that I think this must be a failed firmware upgrade on the VMB4000

Need to work out how to RMA the brick now

Dudemotogp
Aspirant
Aspirant

So guys got my new base  and its working flawlessly but now the old camera wont sync to new one.

anybody know how to reset the camera to take the new base