Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station does not recognise WD USB HD

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, has anyone come across the problem with plugging in a usb hd into the arlo base station? I have a brand new 1TB Western Digital USB for backup in parallel with the cloud. However when I plug it in (tried both), no llight comes on for the usb on the base station. On the app, under settings, my devices, there is no listing of the hd device. I have tried power off / on, reboot and still the same. I managed to call Arlo in US, and they mention it could be a set up issue either in the base station or the hd. They said they would put me through to a tech, for $100 !!! No chance of that. This is a problem Arlo should fix for free, as the equipment does not do as stated.The latest firmware is installed too. I hope someone can help.......

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Yes as far as I know the local storage only works on the pro / pro 2 base stations. Sorry I didn't realize yours wasn't one of these. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No issue with a 1Tb western dig HD... did have to format in Fat32 to make it work.

Honestly tho, pulled it and just now use a 32GB speed stick( flash drive)... much easier to pull it when I do check it ( and cheap )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using a power supply for the drive? The base may not supply enough current. A USB thumb drive may well be a better solution.

Also, Googling for support is a bad idea as you found out. Arlo support doesn't charge you. Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here and again on the new page. The 3rd page gives you options.

jon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have found a 8GB USB stick, which was formatted to FAT32. The USB light comes on, however, the app / laptop neither recognise under settings. Certainly a head scratcher !! Any other suggestions?

jon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi again, also tried formatting pen drive non quick format FAT32 too. Still the same. Tried chat on support, this would not link up, tried on Edge and IE, both did not work. So waited on the telephone for over 30 mins!!! Then gave up on this too - what a joke support is.

jon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to follow on.....Could it be, the software i have on the app and laptop, is not up to date? As mentioned the light is on the base, but on the software there is no mention to local storage anywhere...??

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I know this is a silly question but have you gone into settings, base station ( whatever you named it) and clicked on the arrow beside local storage? I had a 1 Terrabyte WD storage that seemed to be connected and recording,  however when I removed it and put it in to PC I was never able to access it and had to re format several times and it still wouldn't work.  I sent it back and now have another brand and it is working fine so I'm guessing the WD was defective. Maybe yours is defective to and not removing it from  the base station through the app has caused the base to not see the USB you have tried? Maybe unplug base for a couple minutes then try again. 

jon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Apparently, according to Netgear UK support (gave up with Arlo support), the VMB3000 base unit usb ports do not work. They only work on the pro / pro2. Have you heard this is correct? 

I tried two western digital devices and a pen drive, all three failed, though the pen drive when connected, the usb light came on the base station.  

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Yes as far as I know the local storage only works on the pro / pro 2 base stations. Sorry I didn't realize yours wasn't one of these. 

jon38
Aspirant
Aspirant