Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station (VMB4000r3) disappears from app, cameras keep recording

Discussion stats
Shcook
Tutor
Tutor

Yesterday, my base station (VMB400043) disappeared from the app so my cameras (3 Arlo Pro models) were appearing offline. The cameras that record on motion detected by my spotlights (connected to a Bridge, not the base) continued to record based on those triggers, though, and new videos are saved to the library. I can access those videos through the app but without the base station in the app I can't start a live view or make any changes. If I select the Mode button in the app the app immediately crashes.  I tried power cycling the base station which did not resolve the issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but that did not resolve the issue.  I moved the base station to a different ethernet jack in the house but that did not resolve the issue.  I could not remove individual cameras since they were showing as offline so I factory reset the base station and added the cameras again.  This worked for about 90 minutes then the base station disappeared from the app again.  Even when the base station disappears from the app, all three lights on the base station are still green indicating it has power, is connected to the internet, and is connected to the cameras.  I'm not sure what else to troubleshoot and I don't want to buy a replacement base without knowing if that's really the problem or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this issue has been implemented. This will allow users to safely use the device order feature without resulting in any issues.

For users that are experiencing their base station no longer being visible within the Arlo mobile app or web client, you will need to re-onboard the base station by tapping "Add New Device" select Base Station/Hub and follow the on screen instructions.

If the base station cannot be found, follow the reset instructions linked here and then attempt onboarding again: https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

JamesC

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

A fix for this issue has been implemented. This will allow users to safely use the device order feature without resulting in any issues.

For users that are experiencing their base station no longer being visible within the Arlo mobile app or web client, you will need to re-onboard the base station by tapping "Add New Device" select Base Station/Hub and follow the on screen instructions.

If the base station cannot be found, follow the reset instructions linked here and then attempt onboarding again: https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This topic has been escalated to the development team and these reports are currently being investigated. I will provide an update as soon as more information becomes available.

JamesC

47 REPLIES 47
fritzKU
Tutor
Tutor

I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me!!! How do we get someone to look into this because they want me to believe somethings wrong with my base. I don't believe that for a second now. And why are we expected to believe them when they told me the app crash issue they were aware of had been fixed, but now two people have the EXACT same problem? I did the whole factory reset to the base, and had completely set up all five of my cameras when it happened again. Don't think this an equipment issue cause like you all my cameras recorded over night, and all lights are functioning on my base. Very confused.

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had the same issue. 

Latest recent firmware bricks the base station. Luckily I had a new spare. 

Re-added all cameras and all is well.

If your base station, modes, and cameras disappeared recently you most likely have a bricked base station. Buy a new one off ebay. 

It was the only solution for me. Otherwise was flirting with trashing old Arlos for new system. 

I like my old Arlo Pro cameras and system. A new base station was the cheapest option to get back in business.

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I re-read your issues and I see both of you performed factory resets. I did not. 

if my new base station “breaks” with new firmware then I believe we are looking at a possible hack or vulnerability for this model. 

I will let you know if my base station gets trashed again. 

I sure hope not. If so, then we might have new firmware issue or hack issue. 

If mine breaks, I’ll buy a new non Arlo system. Perhaps 5 years was a good run for $500 invested. 

Shcook
Tutor
Tutor

I have a new base station on the way so I'll let you know if it solves my problem. I'll use whatever time it buys me to research my options for a replacement (Arlo or otherwise) since Arlo's going to stop supporting the legacy cameras at some point.  I've certainly gotten my money's worth in the 5 years I've had the system but I like these features better than anything currently available so hopefully it will keep working for a while longer.

Shcook
Tutor
Tutor

Set up the new base station (VMB4500r2) this afternoon and reconnected the cameras and they have stayed online reliably since. I still have some minor weirdness (the Android app crashes when I select the Mode menu and I can't change the device order in the Android app, iOS app, or web client) but the cameras are online and recording so I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well that was quick. 🙂

Glad your system is now stable too. 
I guess the only way to change order is to remove all cameras and add them in the order you want. It’s a bummer for me since my front door camera is now last - my most important camera. 
Funny how new firmware can really throw everything into a tailspin.

I’m just glad i had a spare base station was on hand. 

fractalchic
Apprentice
Apprentice

A couple of hours ago the exact same thing happened to me - my base station disappeared from the app and my Mode tab is blank. All cameras continue to operate/record on the last settings and I’m able to view the recordings in the library. 

If this issue has been caused by a base station software/firmware update THAT I DID NOT AGREE TO then I believe the onus should be on Arlo to fix the issue. People shouldn’t have to be buying new base stations…

fractalchic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Correction. Now it appears that none of my cameras are recording, however they are still online and I’m able to view live through each of them.

This is highly frustrating given the complete lack of control over the installation of software/firmware updates on the base station.

If my house gets burgled whilst the base station isn’t working I should send the bill to Arlo!

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep. That is the same exact issue I had. 

Deploying a new base station and letting it update to the same firmware seems to have fixed my issue. 

I doubt we will ever know what happened on their end to kill our legacy systems. 

fractalchic
Apprentice
Apprentice

A factory reset seemed to do the trick for me, and worked for as long as it took me to add the base station, doorbell, chime and cameras back into the app. 

I was just about to go in and set up my custom modes again, and BAM! the base station has disappeared from the Devices screen and the Modes screen is blank again. 

Get your **bleep** together Arlo!

Tristan93
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here.

Base station disappeared but all 8 cameras still recording as evidenced by light led turning on during the night.

Therefore cannot arm or disarm in the mode section.

iOS app still working but Android app crashing when selecting mode section.

Arlo, please do something!

fractalchic
Apprentice
Apprentice

I spoke to an Arlo support person earlier and he had me wipe the Arlo data and app from my phone (iPhone 14 mini running iOS 15.7) and reinstall the app. Unfortunately this didn’t fix the issue but he opened a case and at least there’s someone looking at the issue now. 

Arlo_Sucks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having same exact issues! Please let us know when you hear something back from their customer support.  

CCM100
Aspirant
Aspirant

Similar issues in HK, firstly cams not follow the schedule to record few days before, and suddenly the base stations did not connect with the cams and disappear, finally need to reset the basestations and remove/reconnect all 10 cams, still one base station unable to reconnect, and the phone unable to launch the mode in App, every time select the mode icon, the App crash.....since I tried to delete "a" mode, but the geofencing mode locked my "a" mode, and this is only can be accessed  using the phone app....  many issues happened recently 

balbori
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the exact same happen to me, even if I did factory reset twice last Saturday and Sunday!

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m beginning to think there is a IOT compromise on the legacy Arlo base station triggered by the new firmware or an internal change was done that wreaked havoc but who knows.  🙂

Arlo_Sucks
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hope this is not a stunt from Arlo to force all legacy users to buy subscriptions for the cloud recording service!

Paess
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine just disappeared from the app yesterday as well!  I was adding a doorbell to the system and in the process had to reset everything and an update was performed.  Now the base station will randomly vanish from the devices list.   I can still live feed my cameras but none of them are capturing/sending motion detections.   I did a motion test and the lights come on so the camera sees motion but nothing is captured.   I’m assuming the base station disappearing is the issue.  

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hopefully Arlo Support can post here and give us an update. I doubt it though. They have to be extremely busy on a million issues. 

Good_Fella
Tutor
Tutor

Had to reset base stations to factory settings. I have 2 systems, 2 properties, 2 different internet providers. Both base systems are not functioning, lost mode page and cant access cmeras, no recordings. Seems this is a server or firmware update issue that arlo will not acknowledge. Arlo wants to blame search engines and internet providers during text discussion and I have a "open complaint" that will get a response in 2 business days. Since I have 2 separate providers at 2 different properties this is not an equipment problem- its a arlo server/firmware problem. Had to reset base stations to factory settings, new base system setup then added all cameras. This lasted less than 12 hours and I lost everything again. Hope they send a new firmware update that corrects this issue soon. I'm losing my security protection during this debacle, been a arlo customer for over 5 years with subscription, I would hate to have to scrap my system and go with a different company. Fingers crossed

Arlo_Sucks
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did not know that even clients with subscriptions are having similar issues with their base stations as well! Resetting the base station to factory setup only lasted few hours before it stopped recording and disappearing all together from my Arlo app. 

fritzKU
Tutor
Tutor

How do we as paying customers hold them accountable for what they've done. Seems like most people are happy paying for more equipment. Not me. They broke it, why shouldn't they have to fix it, or issue new base stations for free? I lost most confidence when they started making us have to have subscription to view recordings. They're a multibillion dollar company that doesn't even seem to be moderating this thread to give us an update that they're aware of the problem. Last communication i received was Saturday night and have heard squat since. Very pissed off.

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m just glad this is a confirmed global issue. 

I spent so much time pointing the finger at my network. 

🤓

Victor_Li
Guide
Guide

The issue seems to be caused by re-ordering the devices. Following these steps: Factory reset base station->adding back base station in Arlo app->re-adding cameras in exactly the order you want them to show, do *NOT* re-order the devices in the app. So far so good; no disappearing base stations and all live view and recording working fine! 🙂