Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Aro Support Listen up - Arlo Camera Live Streaming Delays - Configuration Info

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jroy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Can we please start a new thread about this where everyone starts putting in their exact configuration and the amount of delay they are experiencing, please? Maybe Arlo support will start listening and testing the config. In one thread I saw one of them say they were looking into this. Thx 🙂 Below is mine...

------

I have just swapped in a new Arlo Pro base station in place of my original arlo base station. I am running two original Arlo cameras and two Arlo Pro cameras.

My upstream is 1Mbps

The lag is super bad on the Arlo Pro cameras but it works without any issue on the original Arlo cameras no matter what quality level I am looking it.

Original Arlo cameras:

- take up about 950kbps for best quality

- take up about 650kbps for medium quality

Arlo Pro cameras:

- take up ALL the bandwidth for all the quality levels whether I have audio on or off. 

I am wondering if they introduced a bug whereby the quality is not taken into consideration for streaming. Alternatively, maybe the encoder settings were changed on the cameras and somehow they use a lot more bitrate. 

I have to say there is zero reason why the Arlo Pro with its 720p resolution like the original camera would need to take up more upstream badwidth. I get better quality out of the original cameras at less bandwidth.

Base Station: VMB4000r3

Firmware: 1.12.0.1_27940

Arlo Pro cameras (two of these connected):

Hardware: H11

Firmware: 1.092.0.19_26228

Original Arlo Cams (two of these connected):

Hardware: H7

Firmware: 1.3.314

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First off, the recommended min upload has been 1Mbps for as long as I can remember... ( i recommend 2 for overhead )

As you know this isn't a problem with the Original Arlo HD.

The Pro/Pro2 would take more bandwith just due to the addition of audio only. I have seen the Pro/pro2 peak at a bandwith of 1Mbs under certain conditions... larger FOV (?)

( BTW, Ultra needs 4Mbps min up )

Second, unless things have changed, the system is supposed to downgrade the video rez if there is low bandwidth, don't know why it isn't.

The lag your getting is more than likely from the slow u/l speeds , which has been seen before.

=============================

Each camera uses a different amount of bandwidth based on its video resolution settings. To learn how much bandwidth your Arlo system uses, add the streaming cameras' bandwidth settings together. If a camera detects low bandwidth, the Arlo system automatically reduces the video stream settings to accommodate lower bandwidth. 

Note: The listed values are approximations.

Arlo Wire-Free Camera:

• Best Video. 700-750 kilobits per second (kbps)
  • Optimized. 450-550 kbps
  • Best Battery Life. 300 kbps

Arlo Q and Arlo Q Plus:

• 1080P. 1500 kbps
  • 720P. 700 kbps
  • 480P. 300 kbps
  • 360P. 200 kbps
  • 240P. 100 kbps
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jroy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Slow upload speed? Can we please start reading each other’s messages?

My upload speed is 1Mbps! For the original Arlo cameras - with the same resolution as Arlo Pro - the bandwidth is more than adequate with even the highest quality level. It’s also in the stats you sent. Heck, it would even be enough for Arlo Q as long as the resolution is kept at 720p.

I tested Arlo Pro with microphone and speaker disabled, which means it should not be sending audio, which it didn’t. Unless they are using a fixed bandwidth for audio and sending all zeros then it should not take up bandwidth.

I tested Arlo Pro at all quality levels. The lowest quality level looks like it starts at lower bandwidth like the original Arlo then spikes all the way up a couple of seconds into the stream.

Anyway, there is a bug somewhere with the Arlo Pro cameras not respecting bandwidth / quality settings for live streaming - audio or no audio. Let’s not start blaming the bandwidth because the original cameras even give me clearer picture at less bandwidth and from what I hear Arlo Q doesn’t have this problem either. I’d like to see more people testing this at different bandwidths they have. Where is the current Arlo topping out at different levels of quality?