Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

My arlo pro base station says it is a VMB4000, but that was not an option to select. Anyway, it has worked fine for well over a year. Now, all of a sudden the streaming quality is very bad. My internet upload speed has not changed, living situation has not changed. I have rebooted my wireless router, reset my base and resynced the camera. Battery is fully charged in the camera and I am set on lowest quality video, where it’s always been. I have a second camera, that was always perfect too, until now. It’s the same way. I have checked my stream while I am at home on my WiFi and also when I am not home and on LTE. I have a ceiling fan in my stream and it’s just very jerky. I leave the tv on for my dogs and you cannot make Head nor tail of what is on the tv. It’s so frustrating as it always worked so well until out of the blue this happened. I’d appreciate any ideas. Thank you. 

28 REPLIES 28
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Any chance of new wifi interference? Neighbors got a new router? More neighborhood networks?

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, but  no. I live on 10 acres. This was fine until just a couple of days ago. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It might somehow be related to the other problems currently plaguing the servers and apps.  Have you tried a computer browser? Might be worth a check of your upload speed via speedtest.net to make sure nothing has changed (could be faulty wiring for the connection).

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

This literally happened overnight. Nothing has changed on my end. Where can I try to look at my feed from a browser? I have only ever used the app. Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use https://arlo.netgear.com to view in a browser. You can use a mobile browser, too, if you set it to use the desktop version (a setting in the mobile browser menu).

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately still the same. Stop start, stop start. I do not record anything, so there is nothing in my storage, but do you think there could be the chance that’s it’s because I have the arlo free plan?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not your free plan - it's more widespread than that, sorry to say. Can you live view and manually record to see if it shows up?

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting. I recorded for 30 seconds with it all spluttering . I then went to the replay, and it was 10seconds long and played perfectly. It seems if I watch my live stream for about 1 .30 mins, the very jerky stream seems to correct itself, but then I am on a 1.30 minute delay. It’s so bizarre. I e had no issue for well over a year. 

I appreciate your help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It rather sounds like an Internet issue rather than Arlo hardware but that could be hard to prove. Since all interaction happens via the servers and, hence, the Internet I wonder if the download stream was having a problem while the upload wasn't (such as too many devices downloading/streaming material). You may want to contact your ISP and have them check your connection to see if something is a bit flaky. I've had to do that several times over the years.

jasonp2737
Apprentice
Apprentice

Peachykeen....

The same thing has happened to me after the last update. There are some other folks on here posting the same problem. Seems that all of us are on the lower end the upload speed requirement (1Mbps), but I've never had an issue. I've had the system for a year now. I spoke with Netgear Friday, and they advised me that it wasn't related to their latest crap update, but was due to my internet speed. I don't buy it. All of these problems popped up after last weeks update. Hopefully it will clear up when they fix things. We'll see. 

waynebaron
Luminary
Luminary

I'm not sure it will help, but you'd *THINK* that having a larger local buffer would help with slow streaming/upload speeds.  So, I'd try plugging in a small (few GB's) USB flash stick in the base station.

jasonp2737
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try tonight. 

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you . I will try. I’m not buying their BS. I’ve never had the best internet speed, but it was always fine before. Suddenly, poof, buffering for two minutes so stream is always 2 mins behind. 

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please report back and let me know if this helps you. Thanks a lot 

bf1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the exact same problem. Live camera lag, bad pixels. Motion detection is very weak and lags. The system has worked fine for the past 6 months until recently around mid May. I tried rebooting, the router and base. Relinked the cameras to the base. I might return tho Costco and try a differant system.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bf1234,

What does the signal strength icon show for the camera that is behaving this way? Do you have more than one camera that is experiencing the issue?

JamesC

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well. I have two cameras, my main that came with the base and a second. Both have issues that started overnight. Fine one day, not the next.

The main camera has one bar off a full signal, even if I move it right up to the base station. The 2 nd camera has full strength, and it’s farther away.

bf1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 cameras and all 3 have the same issue. All cameras have full strength signal.

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s so disappointing. I had been so pleased with my cameras for well over a year. I was even about to add another, then overnight, the issue. I feel like I just wasted several hundreds dollars..... I feel scammed. 

AndrewUmb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same issue. I have 5mbps down and 0.75mbps up, my 4 arlo pro cameras worked perfectly for a year. All of a sudden, sometime in May, they stopped streaming efficiently. Now they stream...stutter...stream...stutter... I can't properly stream anymore. Sometimes, after about 1.5 minutes, they will stream correctly but then there is a 1.5 minute lag time and the streaming is no longer LIVE...but 1.5 minutes in the past. 

I do not have neighbours, I have 10 acres of land, my internet speeds have not changed. Nothing in my situation has changed at all. I have tried everything for troubleshooting and then I found this thread. People here seem to be having the exact same issue that I'm having.

I need to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. I have 4 arlo pro cameras with a base station.They are last year's pro models (only 720p).

bf1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem happened to me after a software update. It seems its a software problem on Netgears end. If they dont get a fix very soon I'm returning the system back to Costco.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@AndrewUmb wrote:

Hi,

I have the same issue. I have 5mbps down and 0.75mbps up, my 4 arlo pro cameras worked perfectly for a year. All of a sudden, sometime in May, they stopped streaming efficiently. Now they stream...stutter...stream...stutter... I can't properly stream anymore. Sometimes, after about 1.5 minutes, they will stream correctly but then there is a 1.5 minute lag time and the streaming is no longer LIVE...but 1.5 minutes in the past. 

I do not have neighbours, I have 10 acres of land, my internet speeds have not changed. Nothing in my situation has changed at all. I have tried everything for troubleshooting and then I found this thread. People here seem to be having the exact same issue that I'm having.

I need to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. I have 4 arlo pro cameras with a base station.They are last year's pro models (only 720p).

.75Mbps is likely the issue. Firmware updates may exacerbate the problem (don't know that for sure). The specs call for a minimum of 1Mbps. You can try a lower quality setting (Settings, My Devices, your cameras, Video Settings, Optimized or Best Battery Life) to see if that helps.

Peachykeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine were already on the lowest setting. That was one of the first things I checked. Every imaginable  solution has been tried by me. Speed was never an issue for the last 18 months. 

NETGEAR has scammed many existing customers with this update they did. This is not the fault of the consumer. 

AndrewUmb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have everything on the lowest settings already. The first generation of Arlo cameras worked fine with my speeds and Arlo Pro worked 100% fine all of last year and this year, until about May. That's when something changed. From what others are saying, it sounds like the most recent update screwed everything up.

I will not be purchasing or recommending Arlo or Netgear products in the future.