Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo took down our cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
campbel9
Aspirant
Aspirant

So we bought three cameras years ago.  Working fine.  Don't check on the cameras very often EXCEPT when we go on vacation.  Tried to log in.  Doesn't work.  User ID correct.  User Password correct.  They send me a text code.  The second I try to type in the code, it bumps me back to log in page.  Tried this a half dozen times.

Called.  Support person said that our contract had expired.  We went back and looked.  No expiration on our cameras.  They also said they now have a subscription program.  A monthly fee.  Without the subscription, no phone app.  That's why I can't log in.  Without the subscription, no online support.  With out the subscription, no software upgrade.  So we bought three cameras that had a shelf life of three years ALL BECAUSE Arlo changed their program to a subscription based program.  Sure wish they had mentioned this when we purchased the cameras.

So my husband and I stewed over this frustration for a few weeks feeling like Arlo didn't really care about their existing customers.  But what were we going to do?  Buy new Ring cameras?  So four weeks later we decide to bite the bullet whether we like it or not and buy the subscription.  Well maybe,,, because we didn't know the cost yet.  Wanted to talk to someone live.

OMG....impossible to talk to a live person.  Impossible. Their drop-down option controlled 'Chat' asked a bizillian questions but then after asking for our email, said we don't qualify for live chat person.  Website FAQ's nothing about our situation.  Website no phone number and no Facebook link.  Finally found buried deep in the footer section under For Business a phone number.  Whew!  Now we are getting somewhere.  The nice man that called me back was the Channel Manager.  He told me Arlo gets upset that people are calling him about technical support.  He said he would fire off an email to tech support for me and give them my email.  Must of worked.  I got an email auto-generated with case number the next day.  It said no live person, don't reply back and a 'update us about your case' button.  When I tried to do that it said "Case Closed".  UGH!  Back to square one. 

What surprises me is no phone number for sales either?  How does people buy, especially large orders, without getting their questions answered.  Is this the way of our future?

Bottom line: I have three worthless cameras.  No way to log on to the phone app because I don't have a subscription and no way to talk to someone to add a subscription. 

But google "Ring phone number"  Live person answers in two minutes.  So tempting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
campbel9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  Your response and the other response and my own technical knowledge found a way to fix our problems without talking to a live person.  So I am thankful for this community forum.  My elderly Mom would not of been able to come close to solving this problem.  A live person for support is costly to the companies BUT so much better than 'Chat', email support and community forums.  Ring lets you have live person support.  And their subscription program is one penny more. Go figure!

When we bought the cameras and received a warranty there was no such thing as subscriptions with Arlo yet so our warranty had NO MENTION of expiring and having to sign up for their subscription based program.  It didn't exist yet.  So when Arlo came up with their subscription based program they didn't provide solutions for their existing customers.  The iphone app just stopped working.  When we are not at home, the iphone app IS THE SYSTEM.  No need to have cameras if you can't see what they record.

The login problem was due to not getting the iphone Arlo app updates.  No subscription, no updates.  When I uninstalled and re-installed Arlo, WOW!  Huge changes to the UI.  And I could log in.  My old Arlo software couldn't handle the new login process.  Needed the new software.  But I was in a bind.  Couldn't log in to get the subscription going.  So added a subscription first via the website portal.  Then uninstalled/installed Arlo phone app.  WORKED!

ALL in ALL, I'm a happy camper now.  Things are working and it's thanks to you taking the time to respond.  It helped tons.  Without ever being able to talk to a live person, this forum is key.

P.S.  The Arlo Channel Account Manager who's phone number is buried deep, wrote an EXTREMELY nice email to tech support describing exactly my situation (I can now see it with the new Arlo phone app).  I was amazed.  I thought he just blew me off.  He did not.  But Raz just triggered his auto-generated email declined support, no reply option and closed the case.  Raz blew me off.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dannybear
Master
Master
Have you previously subscribed to arlo for a subscription plan?

You don’t need a subscription to use the arlo camera models prior to 2018.

You also don’t need a subscription to use the arlo app or web portal.

You get a 12 month warranty from purchase which entitles you access to free arlo support for technical help and warranty replacement. After the warranty expires you will need to have a subscription plan on at least one arlo device to access technical support assistance from arlo.

If you don’t want to have a subscription plan and you previously have had one that’s expired and you want to have the cameras working then you need to remove the device/s from the subscription option in your account.

If you’re unable to login via the app using the recovery method then your out of luck until arlo fixes their login software.

If you have spoken to live support(I.e. not the arlo robot support) without having an active subscription then you have contacted a scam provider.

The likely reason your support case was immediately closed is likely because you don’t have an active subscription and since you tried to bypass the arlo support filtering process by using the arlo business contact method.
campbel9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  Your response and the other response and my own technical knowledge found a way to fix our problems without talking to a live person.  So I am thankful for this community forum.  My elderly Mom would not of been able to come close to solving this problem.  A live person for support is costly to the companies BUT so much better than 'Chat', email support and community forums.  Ring lets you have live person support.  And their subscription program is one penny more. Go figure!

When we bought the cameras and received a warranty there was no such thing as subscriptions with Arlo yet so our warranty had NO MENTION of expiring and having to sign up for their subscription based program.  It didn't exist yet.  So when Arlo came up with their subscription based program they didn't provide solutions for their existing customers.  The iphone app just stopped working.  When we are not at home, the iphone app IS THE SYSTEM.  No need to have cameras if you can't see what they record.

The login problem was due to not getting the iphone Arlo app updates.  No subscription, no updates.  When I uninstalled and re-installed Arlo, WOW!  Huge changes to the UI.  And I could log in.  My old Arlo software couldn't handle the new login process.  Needed the new software.  But I was in a bind.  Couldn't log in to get the subscription going.  So added a subscription first via the website portal.  Then uninstalled/installed Arlo phone app.  WORKED!

ALL in ALL, I'm a happy camper now.  Things are working and it's thanks to you taking the time to respond.  It helped tons.  Without ever being able to talk to a live person, this forum is key.

P.S.  The Arlo Channel Account Manager who's phone number is buried deep, wrote an EXTREMELY nice email to tech support describing exactly my situation (I can now see it with the new Arlo phone app).  I was amazed.  I thought he just blew me off.  He did not.  But Raz just triggered his auto-generated email declined support, no reply option and closed the case.  Raz blew me off.