Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
wujo
Tutor
Tutor

I've had an Arlo Solar Panel hooked up to my Arlo Pro camera for at least two months and everything was working fine.  It would charge up when the sun was out and surprisingly even when it was cloudy.  A few weeks ago we had some snow and the Camera showed a message saying that it couldn't charge because it was too cold.  Made sense to me.  After the snow cleared and back to the mid 40s temperature wise, it seems like the Solar Panel just stopped working.  Camera's battery doesn't charge when it normally would and when I take a look at the camera through the web, I get the following message - "A charging fault has been detected on <camera>.  Unplug and reconnect the charger from the camera side of the plug.  If this error message persists, see KB article for Charging Faults."

So I disconnected the camera from the Panel and tried troubleshooting it.  Unplugged and replugged into the Solar Panel and still get the same message.  Tried plugging the camera to the Arlo wall charger... camera charges up just fine.

Now I'm ripping my hair out trying to figure out what's going on and how to fix this.  Anyone have thoughts on what I can do to try and fix it?  Haven't had much luck with Arlo chat support.  They keep directing me to pages about charging that I've gone over at least 15 times.

68 REPLIES 68
brh
Master
Master

@wujo

Assuming that no water got inside the camera and the panel is not defective, I have read that if the battery charge gets too low, the solar panel will not recharge the battery. You will have to plug the camera with the battery in it into the AC power adapter that came with the system and charge the battery with the adapter plugged in.

Try that

Brian

wujo
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks.  I plugged the camera to the wall adapter and was able to charge up the battery to 100%.  After doing that, I put it back outside and connected it to the solar panel.  Seems like the camera is working fine, but I'm unable to get the charge from the solar panel to work... even with a full battery.  I can see it draining from 100% down to 85%, when usually it would have only dropped to 95%.

Anyone have this issue as well and know how to solve it?  Hopefully someone at Arlo is able to help if no one else found a solution.

brh
Master
Master

@wujo

When it is sunny outside do you now get the lightning bolt icon showint that the solr panel is working?

Are you still getting the charge fault indicator?

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@wujo

Do you have another camera that you can swap to see what is happening. I am assuming that since you could charge the battery up using the AC power adapter that the camera is ok, leading me to believe that the problem lies in either the cable or the solar panel itself. Were you getting the Charge fault message when the camera was under AC power?

A couple of other things you could try just in case.

Remove the battery and re-insert it to see if that resets the camera.

If you are still getting the message also look into your computer IDE to see if the problem is showing up there.

These probably won't do anything as you said the the battery is now draining faster than before. Again that leads me back to the cable or solar panel.

Brian

wujo
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the replies and the suggestion.  When it's sunny outside (this morning), I tried plugging in a different camera and still the same result - "Charging Fault" error.  I also don't see the lightning bolt at all.

This leads me to believe that the solar panel is faulty.  Anyone have any suggestion on how to get this replaced?  I've only had it for a few months, so would think it would be under warranty?

brh
Master
Master

@wujo

Contact Support at the banner just below these posts.

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wujo,

This sounds like it could be an issue with the solar panel. Do you have an open support case? If you need further assistance getting this issue escalated please let me know.

Edit: I was able to review your support case on this issue and it appears an RMA has already been approved, please let me know if you need further assistance.

JamesC

kalvink
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC, 

I also have an Arlo Solar Panel connected to my Arlo Pro camera.  I purchased the two panel pack from Costco a couple months back.  They have worked great until today.  One of the panels is showing a charging fault.  I have performed all the recommended troubleshooting and may require a RMA for the solar panel.

Qwerty000021
Initiate
Initiate

This is strange--I just started having this problem as well. I had a solar panel on an Arlo Pro 2 for about a month working great. Now it's not charging and giving me a charging fault. Camera charges fine with wall plug.

I have a second panel new in box and tried swapping the cable and it charges fine. I moved the cable to a second camera and have the charging fault error. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case with support here. That's the only way to get faulty hardware replaced.

kiheimatt
Initiate
Initiate

I have a 15 camera system. 10 of the cameras have solar panels.

I have had this same problem repeatedly on oth Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

I have tried solving by installing freshly charged battery, this does not work for me.

Most recetnly when this happenned, I replaced the solar panel with a new one. It did not solve.

I reset the camera and reconnected to the base. This did not work.

I finally replaced the camera with a new one and this worked. 

Would love to know if anyobne has resolved a fix for this. I guess I will try to start sending units bnack as this happens.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you reseated the cables on both ends to ensure they're fully and properly inserted?  They can be quite a PITA to seat well. Won't fix every problem but it's a start.

terrafelix
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same charging fault issue with the Netgeart Solar Panels on several cameras. I've tried re-plugging in the camera end of the cable as recommemded. But that does not work. This fault alert happens whether the camera is fully charged or not. Cables are seated properly. It appears the problem must be with the solar panel or solar panel cable. I wish Netgear would get on this as this has been going on for a while and it is making me doubt my very expemsive inverstment in this system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you opened a case with support for a possible replacement?

terrafelix
Initiate
Initiate

I will open a case. I had to take down some outdoor cameras over the winter due to this problem because batteries were drained. I'll have to put them back up to identify which ones were problematic now that the ice/snow has slowed. I was having the issue with over 50% of solar powered cameras. I put one camera back up after charging and the same issue is coming back - cherging fault. I will contact support for possible replacement. 

Paulporker
Aspirant
Aspirant
1st time user excited about the Arlo pro cameras got some cameras mounted really high with solar panels and now I'm getting those charging fault air really pisses off why is this happening all new parts from Best Buy some from Amazon
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I have had my solar panel up for 2.5 months and it has always charged the camera to 100% each day until 3 days ago. We had 3 days of rain starting Friday and the camera showed the charging fault on Monday. While it was still plugged into the camera it drained the battery a lot quicker than without a charging source. I disconnected the panel, reconnected then I got the "incompatible charger connected" message so I disconnected the panel from the camera again. I left it disconnected all day then took the panel down last night and left it inside over night. This morning I plugged it into a different camera and it started charging so I plugged it back into the original camera and it is charging it now. I don't know why it suddenly gave me the fault message but am guessing it has to do with the rain. We are just starting winter here (Australia) so will see what heppens in the next rain. If it shows a fault again I will be contacting support again for a replacement as I bought this so I didn't have to climb the ladder to charge batteries so I don't want to be climbing it mutiple times to fix the solar panel!

Monica

wujo
Tutor
Tutor

For those who are following this thread and contributed - thank you.

Here's a quick update that may help others.  A quick recap - I was seeing a charging fault error with my solar panel and submitted an RMA.  I am in the process of sending the panel back and have not yet closed out the RMA; however, I have figured out what the problem is.

The issue is not the solar panel itself.  It is functioning.  The issue is the charging cable that connects the solar panel to the camera.  For those running into this issue, notice that you get a message when the camera is plugged in.  This shows that there is power coming from the solar panel, so you can rule the solar panel out.  The problem here is that the cable that is used to transmit the power captured from the solar panel.  Due to weather changes and other environmental factors, the cable itself breaks down and alters the amount of current and voltage sent to the camera.  Since Arlo has strict charging requirements this causes us to see the charging issues.  BTW - I think it is BS that they have such charging restrictions.  I don't see a direct product need to force consumers to use their proprietary chargers.  It is actually causing the problems we are seeing now.

Anyway, I wanted to provide this information so that others are aware.  I have sent back my RMA solar panel, but unfortunately the replacement they sent me did not come with the power cable.  I found out what the problem is by switching the cable out with another solar panel kit that was actually working...this is where I uncovered that the cable was the issue and not the solar panel.  😞

If Arlo is reading this, where can we get replacement cables?  I do not see any where it can be purchased.  I really want to be proactive and get a few spares (even if I have to pay for them...still thinking I shouldn't have to) so that when the cable I have now goes out, I have something ready.

kiheimatt
Initiate
Initiate

I have 15 cameras. I have about 5 doing this after a rain. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@wujo wrote:

If Arlo is reading this, where can we get replacement cables?  I do not see any where it can be purchased.  I really want to be proactive and get a few spares (even if I have to pay for them...still thinking I shouldn't have to) so that when the cable I have now goes out, I have something ready.

You can't buy extra cables, only get them replaced with an RMA. I wouldn't mind having an extra cable myself.

konacam1
Guide
Guide
I have 5 cameras, 2 are using a competitors solar panel and 1 is using the netgear.
All were working fine and charging perfectly up until this week. This is in a sunny area in Hawaii... My system went offline last week and after reset my 2 solar panels from a competitor are saying they are not working and are discharging slowly..
Seems very suspicious... Has netgear placed a bug into anything that is not from their factory?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Conspiracy theories get us noplace. It would be difficult for the camera firmware to detect anything but voltage/current.

pemijo
Aspirant
Aspirant

We've had ours for a few days and already it is showing that message.  Really disappointed.  Thought it would be a good idea so we don't have to get the ladder out every few weeks.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pemijo,

Consider the following:

-disconnect the power cable from the camera and the solar panel

-open the battery compartment door and remove the battery

-replace the battery and close the battery compartment door, be sure the door is closed tightly

-reconnect the charging cable to the camera and the solar panel, make sure the connecting is tight and secure

-check your mobile app to see if you experience the same error message.

JamesC