Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Amygross
Follower
Follower
Anyone having issues getting in to the app and website? Every time I try, it says the authentication service is down.
65 REPLIES 65
Ansnewman3
Aspirant
Aspirant
Their twitter @arlosmarthome nothing posted since..
Dear Arlo customers,
We are aware of the current servicing issue users are encountering with their Arlo account. Our technical support team is actively investigating and will restore services as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
Ansnewman3
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am back up as of 4:30 est
maxito
Aspirant
Aspirant
Back on track. Northern Italy.
singasong
Tutor
Tutor

I hope a post-mortem is conducted on this occurance to ensure this type of outage is minimized or never happens again. Furthermore, this outage has brought to light a terrible flaw in the system: outages like this prevents us from accessing our cameras. There MUST be a contingency (or backup) which allows the owner to access cameras on at least the WIFI network or direct-connect through a private connection. 

Kmelander1
Guide
Guide
Not even an explanation at this point. Ever wonder if the outage was deliberate? Never know in this world. What’s up Arlo? You going to tell us anything or is it “nothing to see here”? I, along with every other customer I suspect, could not arm my system. Even if it was armed, I doubt anything would have worked. Your system has a fatal flaw, it depends on your competency and your servers to work. You can deliberately or accidentally turn off our video security systems! If you want to improve your product, you’ll allow direct connections to the base as a redundancy! I don’t need your server if I’m home on my own network!
floodofnoise
Guide
Guide

Well to be fair, the Arlo servers aren't the only way the system can fail. Its requires internet access to record so if your internet goes down, so do your security cameras. There is no local recording, only local backup. We should have an option for local recording to a usb stick or a network drive. The system has many points of possible failure otherwise.

Kmelander1
Guide
Guide
The cameras link to the base. That’s what I’m saying, they should be capable of stand alone even without internet. If my local Wireless net is up, it should be functional.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These cameras were never sold with the capability to have local access. It's explicitly stated that they require cloud access. You could add kudos to exisitng threads in the Idea Exchange here and create your own thread but don't count on it.

Kmelander1
Guide
Guide
I thought that’s what I did?!? Necessity is the mother of all invention. Excellent concept with great opportunities for improvement. Since I’m in for roughly $800, I for one would like to see the product improve. Your statement of the obvious doesn’t change that. Further, standalone capability only increases the value of the product and it’s not a technological leap to achieve it. This forum is perfectly acceptable for me to post whatever I feel is pertinent to the failure of service.. To put it another way, if the service hadn’t gone down, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. All that said; I still love the system because it’s likely the best wireless solution out there right now.. Would I like Netgear to plug up this non-feature? You bet. Thanks for your input.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You didn't do what I suggested. Engineering doesn't peruse all these forums but the Idea Exchange is routinely monitored.  You can do/believe what you want but it won't help.

Kmelander1
Guide
Guide
If the moderator isn’t watching this thread, than I can’t help them. I tried. Thank you for your input. Have a nice day.
EHKitsuda
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same with ous, tried everything, nothing is working
SinCityScorpion
Tutor
Tutor
Well said.
floodofnoise
Guide
Guide

While we are all aware that the Arlo system explicitely states that it is a cloud based camera, these types of situations do give merit to the notion of providing a fail safe in the case of a server outage. If the base station can record on a netgear network then it can also record locally on your network. All it would take would be a firmware update. A better solution may be to sell the option to record locally to us, like an unlock feature for say $99 or something like that. We can make this a win-win for both sides.

Suitablepeak
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exactly!! I was one of the DUMB ones that deleted device....only to find out it was THEM the whole time. Now, base station won't come online. Now what? It's obvious their servers were "HI-JACKED"!! That's why the ONLY notification ANY of us got was on our own through social media!! They had. NO ABILITY to notify their customers because they have NO CLUE who they are without them.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RESOLVED: Some Arlo Base Station reporting as “Offline”

Following is an update on the Arlo Service interruption.  On Friday November 24, 2017 at approximately 11:00am Pacific time, we experienced a major service disruption which impacted Customer’s ability to access their Arlo Systems.   Services were restored at approximately 2:00am Pacific Time, Saturday November 25 although some Customers may have continued to experience issues for several hours after the fix was implemented.  If you are still experiencing an issue with your Arlo system, please contact support at:  1-(408)-638-3750.  We sincerely apologize for this service interruption and it certainly does not reflect our standards of service availability.  Our technical teams continue to work diligently to ensure services remain available and we are reviewing our internal processes and systems in order to prevent this from happening in the future.  Again, we apologize and thank you for your patience.

JamesC