Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro washed out colours

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
3pack
Tutor
Tutor

Firmware 1.092.0.4_13099  - ardware H8

I'm seeing washed out color- grayish image on one of my three outdoor cameras. Bright vibrant color on two but a third one in the same yard is unsaturated. 

On motion detection there is a brief half second of color recorded but even then not fully saturated color. 

I have removed the battery and reinstalled it. I have removed/added the device and re synced it. This is a new purchase Arlo Pro system with 3 cameras. Turning on/off night vision has no helpful effect. Camera video is set to "best". Changing that has no effect on color loss. Camera is on tree and not near any electromagnetic interference. 

I'm thinking it's a camera fault. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Can you go to your library and play an affected video and click Share and copy the link to here?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have seen the same issue.  I may see bright red taillight coversbut the rest seems washed out.  I tried switching cameas around and the issue stayed with the location.  However, I find that two different cameras on the same side of the house (west) do the same thing and haven't come up with a reason why.  It's like the contrast is too high but we have no control.  The brightness control doesn't help but reduced light levels such as early morning or significant overcast does. Signal level is full.

No idea why only the west side does this but I'd guess that it relates to the amount of light from the sky so shaded areas don't have the issue.

3pack
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your interest.   Here is a link to one of the videos. Note that color is there when motion video starts and quickly is desaturates.  

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/670D945C9C2E242A_201707

steve_t
Master Master
Master

That's weird. It's like it goes into night mode but there's still a lot of ambient light. I notice the picture is quite grainy. Perhaps try moving the camera to somewhere closer to the base station and see if the camera still does it. It may be related to poor signal strength

3pack
Tutor
Tutor

Hi steve_t

Actually this camera is closer to the base than the other two which are working fine.  Yes, I noticed the grainey picturel too.

I'm still thinking the camera is defective. 

When I look at the live picture and move the camera around at various angles, color appears and disappears randomly as I move the camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Swap cameras as I did to (dis)prove the defective camera possibility. Put a brightly colored object, maybe in strong light, to see if it shows color. Red seems to work for me.
Harmles
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can only say I have the same problem and my camera's are only 3 month old! Hopfully a new firmware will solve the problem!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

3pack,

Are you still seeing the same issue after temporarily relocating the camera as suggested above? 

JamesC

3pack
Tutor
Tutor

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/F63284D9AD3BE4A5_201707

JamesC - As you can see from the clip, the color is fine when motion is first detected. Quickly the saturation (and resolution I think) are reduced. The "brighter the daylight" the less color there is from that camera. Some times during the day a "manual" view has lost all it's color. When I move the camera around in the light I can see the camera struggling to saturate. Colors come in ... colors go out. The effect is as if the automatic gain control which the camera employs to adjust to the brightness it sees is somehow killing the color as it attampt to "stop down" to adjust for proper brightness level in extremely bright conditions. Arlo support has promised to send a replacement camera. I have been waiting (for days) for their callback to get my credit card information. (no charge - safety for them in case I don't return the defective camera). I hope the will call soon. This has been "question/answer" for over a week. I'm not trying to stiff them. I just want a camera that works properly.  🙂