Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro hub being WiFi enable

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kendogh22
Tutor
Tutor
Will Arlo pro smart hub be WiFi enable, instead of using the Ethernet cable? I see that the new Arlo pro 2 hub is WiFi enable.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

All of the bases require an ethernet connection. Original, Pro and Pro 2. While they do set up their own wireless network to the cameras, connection to the internet must be via ethernet.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Streak2
Master Master
Master

All of the bases require an ethernet connection. Original, Pro and Pro 2. While they do set up their own wireless network to the cameras, connection to the internet must be via ethernet.

blitzo
Star
Star

@Kendogh22 wrote:
Will Arlo pro smart hub be WiFi enable, instead of using the Ethernet cable? I see that the new Arlo pro 2 hub is WiFi enable.

I have the arlo pro 2 and it isn't wifi enabled.  I have it connected by ethernet to my router.

Not having wifi is an issue because I dont have freedom to position the hub to optimize the position for all of my cameras.  2/4 of my cameras have a very weak connection to the hub.  They are also the limit for how far I can put my cameras.

It would even be better if they at least use a mesh wifi system like the philips hue lights to connect the cameras to extend their reach. (philips hue hub also uses an ethernet plug to the router)

Kendogh22
Tutor
Tutor
Looking at the specs of Arlo pro 2 and Arlo pro. Pro 2 specs has Ethernet/WiFi and Arlo specs only says Ethernet.
Streak2
Master Master
Master
You could consider installing a second base. One at each end of the house with the nearest cameras attached to the appropriate base.
Kendogh22
Tutor
Tutor
Another base is not cheap, but I’m thinking of plugging it into a WiFi extender with the Ethernet cable.
blitzo
Star
Star

@Kendogh22 wrote:
Looking at the specs of Arlo pro 2 and Arlo pro. Pro 2 specs has Ethernet/WiFi and Arlo specs only says Ethernet.

yes i think it is wifi ready but not enabled yet. I couldnt find the option in the setup. 

i found this on another post "The support web site says the led with the "home wi fi" symbol is reserved for future use. "

blitzo
Star
Star

@Streak2 wrote:
You could consider installing a second base. One at each end of the house with the nearest cameras attached to the appropriate base.
@Kendogh22 wrote:
Another base is not cheap, but I’m thinking of plugging it into a WiFi extender with the Ethernet cable.

Yes exactly another base isn't cheap.  However, Im considering moving the base around with a wifi extended for better placement (cheaper) or buying a second base / set of cameras (if moving the 1st base around doesnt work, range is limited for me due to walls / interference.)  I could use more cameras just need to figure out where to put them hahaha.

On another note, there's a 5 camera limit for the free account.  Is that per base or per account?  If per account then will have to pay the monthly service fee for the 2nd base if there are more than 1 camera with the base.

Kendogh22
Tutor
Tutor
I hope they enable all hub with WiFi.

Good question about 5 cameras on account or hub. Yea not too sure about that one.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

It's 5 cameras per account. If you're about to exceed that and have 2 bases then you could register the 2nd base using a second email address and grant access between the 2 accounts. You would be able to see all bases and cameras in the same app. But you won't be able to have any rules between the 2 bases.