Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Cameras Speaker Has Low Volume

Discussion stats
Ede3030
Follower
Follower

I bought these cameras to be able to speak through them and have people or dogs easily hear. We can't barely hear the voice through the cameras. I have the most recent firmware and it's still so low. How can I increase the cameras speaker volume?! Or should I return them?

58 REPLIES 58
Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear then has some catching up. This issue is YEARS OLD.
yes, the laptop is louder. Agreed.
I don't happen to have my laptop or desktop with me all the time.
Still, not as desired.
charles06
Aspirant
Aspirant

still the same as of 2/26/18, still failing with low and garbled volume on iphone 5s, 6s plus, and 7 plus.

Mikescott400
Initiate
Initiate
I've purchased a six-pack of the Arlo camera Pros for my shop and they work great now that I'm used to them but the speaker volume is so low you can't even hear it inside the building and then I go online as well outside you never blah blah but the whole thing is is I need to hear you hear me and then I got them at my house but I install them and now I'm worried nobody's going to anyway they're so quiet and muffled for this kind of money plus I paid fee for extra cameras at my shop please advise me on how we get more volume not putting on speakers putting on wires go on your computer I'm on my cell phone 99 percent of the time I need to be able to boot you my shop and tell somebody hey man we're not there but they can't hear me
M0381U5
Guide
Guide
Don't expect results any time soon
Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don't know what happened. Honestly. My android phone now broadcasts my voice over the camera speaker. This is EXACTLY what I expected. LOUD!
I had a discussion with a person outside my gate 15 feet away. It is awkward as several seconds pass between replies. I checked later and it IS 4x as loud as before.
But honestly, I have no idea what I changed from setting everything maximum months before. Battery is around 70%.
If someone changed the software, I sure didnt.
StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
Exact same problem. Camera over our front door. Postman rings bell with a package too big to go through letterbox. I get a notification someone’s by the door and also if the internal camera picks up the doorbell going. I get on the app and connect to the front door camera. If I speak slowly and loudly I can converse with the postman. Otherwise they can’t hear a word I am saying.

So you have to speak slowly and loudly into your iPhone or whatever and then you can just about have a conversation.
CR83TX
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo Pro camera speakers are so quiet. I have the volume turned all the way up and it makes hardly any difference. Maybe they should consider working that part out. The Ring doorbell system speaker volume is what they should aim for.
Sam1959
Initiate
Initiate

Very very low out put on my camera speakers

Sam1959
Initiate
Initiate

Same thing here speakers no good

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Sam1959,

Have you tried rebooting your base station & removing the battery from your camera?

Muntadher
Aspirant
Aspirant

when i speak from telephone mic through Arlo App. the other person cant hear my voice in my room through camera speaker and they said sound is very low although iam talking very load !.....

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Muntadher,

Which camera are you experiencing the issue with? Have you tried to raise the volume of the speaker? Do you experience the same issue when using a different device to communicate with?

You can adjust this setting within the App under - 

Devices > Device Settings > Audio Settings > Speaker volume

Jessem
Star
Star
Read thru all the po s t and you will find that this is an on going problem. We have posted with out resolution to this issue. Speaker is worthless. And now arlo comes out with a doorbell button. Well until the speaker volume issue is resolved its a worthless adon. As is buying an Arlo pro camera. Stick to the cheaper non sound models. Yes i have tried both phone and computer. Speaker is worthless. Even returned my first one fir a replacement. Same issue. Dont buy this if you want to be able to speak to someone.

Jess
Rochie
Tutor
Tutor
With the speaker turned up full it still sounds like a whisper coming out of the speaker. Poor quality Audio
liljestk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I changed my phone from Samsung S8 to Huawei P20 Pro, and now the speaker works... Sound is okay. With the Samsung it was not hearable.

Jessem
Star
Star
I have heard some phones are better then others. Could have something to do with the microphone gain. I myself dont even notice the difference using a computer and have tried a different phone. Maybe the app needs microphone gain control on the phone more then speaker. Volume
Muntadher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Q - 1080p HD Security Camera | 2-way audio | Indoor only | Works with Alexa (VMC3040)

the speaker already at max volume.
when i speak from my mobile headset sound is fine but when i use my phone integrated mic sound is very low coming.

galaxy s8+

note that telephone mic absoultely fine iam using all apps normally and during calls no issue at all

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Muntadher,

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support

Rochie
Tutor
Tutor
Hi yes of course i have tried customer support. Some of the replies here are very condescending such as "have you tried turning up the speaker volumn". I doubt everybody on the forum never tried to contact customer support.
CR83TX
Aspirant
Aspirant
My cameras are the same way.
Even using my computer the volume is low. You have to be under the camera and and listen closely to hear it .
Pricy cameras for all the problems they have
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For testing purposes, check your computer mic gain settings. Increase it to the max to see if there's a difference. I find that the computer works much better since I can control the gain which I can't do on a phone.

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
Of absolutely zero use if only way to converse through Arlo is with a computer. Only time I have mine is when I’m at home!

System should be designed to work seamlessly with iPhones and other smart phones.

Once again a failing on Netgear/Arlo’s part.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or the lack of troubleshooting on your end. "God helps those who help themselves." - Ben Franklin

Jessem
Star
Star
It is not the resonsibility of the buyers of these cameras to have to constantly trouble shoot issues with hardware that DOES NOT perform as advertised. Most if not all of us have contacted support and attempted to isolate the speaker sound issue with out resolve. It appears that the arlo cameras only work well with a select varity of cell phones.
yerliang
Aspirant
Aspirant

Low volume is such a nosing problem, still the same as what everyone discussed as of 3/11/18, it doesn't matter which phone I use, S9 or iphone7, 8, etc. 

Two guys tried to break in my back yard, and I watched and shot but had no way to stop them because they could not hear me at allllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Door bell will not work because it will not be installed around back yard gate, and they will not ring the bell around back yard gate! 

Such a disappointment!