Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Bt4run99
Star
Star
First time user sorry if I didn’t post in the correct area. My Arlo pros are dying abnormally fast! I lose about 10% a day even on cameras that are switched off. I got these cameras Thanksgiving 2017. Haven’t had an issue since early May. I got a 4 months before having to charge my cameras. Now in a week and a half my cameras are 50%. Nothing has changed on my end. No new electronics, cameras in the same locations and base unit hasn’t been touched. Only thing that has happened is that update Arlo put out. I even have a camera I charged 2 days ago that has never been used only linked to the base station that is now at 91%. IT’S NOT EVEN TURNED ON!!!!!
163 REPLIES 163
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

@BGPunggol, thanks but I am on the field trial for the new firmware. When I started the field trial I removed everything from my account , reset the base with a paperclip and then set it up again. I had 2 replacement camera's so wanted to start the trial with a new start. The firmware has stopped some of the battery drain for me but not all of it, my camera's seem to drain while disarmed ( not turned off) and the one connected to the solar panel drains over night 3-8% with 4 - 5 10 - 30 second recordings. This is one of the replacement camera's and the other camera running on battery is also a replacement camera. My other three camera's are now connected to outdoor charging cables because of the battery drain and the fact we are going away for five weeks. At least my camera attached to the solar panel recharges during the day so I should still have 4 camera's operating while away. The one on battery won't last as the camera's will be armed 24/7 while away and at the moment they are 18/7 and it's still draining. I don't want to have to restart the base station every day as I'm also having problems with the android app and it kinda defeats the purpose of the fiels trial.

crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

What the heck is Arlo/Netgear doing ?? Don't they know how to fix this ? Maybe the solution is as simple as longer life batteries ?? How long does it really take them to fix a problem like this, and why don;t they update this thread to at least communicate with their customers ? Just provide a replacemengt of these cheap batteries with liner life batteris and be done with it. Their custommer service is so awful. A real disgrace. 

Caymusg
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo Pro’s were installed in July 2017. The battery life on 3 of them lasts about 2-3 weeks at most and the cameras are barely used as they are in locations with little activity. I looked at new batteries but $50 each?? That is quite costly to have to replace batteries every year. Has anyone else had this issue?
crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does anyone make lomng life batteries that can replace the ones that the Arlo's come with ??

Smarks
Star
Star

^^ that would be nice but haven't seen any after market batteries at all.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

@crw it's not your batteries, netgear messed up alot of things with these camera's including the battery drain in May with a firmware upgrade ( bad downgrade really) and Unfortunately haven't fixed it yet. I now have 3 camera's connected to outdoor chargers and a 4th connected to a solar panel ( I already had the solar panel before May due to camera position) so my camera's don't drain while we are on holiday. The 5th camera however is not able to have the outdoor charging cable connected due to position and I refuse to spend anymore money on this system when it is so broken now. I'm won't buy a solar panel for this camera to keep it going while we are away.I have purchased another wire free camera from a different company to trial while we are away and if it works then I will be returning the Arlo system for a refund and going with the other company. I was very happy with this system until that May upgrade and now it doesn't work as advertised or as it did prior to May. I wanted wire free so I could change the camera's positions for the best surveillance and had it set up for my needs now I have to have them plugged into a power source just to keep the s security while away, I'm no longer happy!

Caymusg
Aspirant
Aspirant
I found somw aftermarket wires so I can just keep them plugged in. I hope at $20 it works. Then I never have to charge them. Netgear should offer a trade in discount on new batteries.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those users who have been experiencing increased battery drain, a new firmware release is now available that will help resolve the issue.

We appreciate your patience as the development team has worked to resolve this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

The firmware on your cameras will automatically be updated between 3:00a.m.- 5:00a.m. PST. 

Please be aware that if your cameras or base station are offline or actively recording during that window, they may not receive the update.  If you do not receive the update during that window you can go to Settings > My Devices in the Arlo app, and from there choose to install the new update. 

For information on this release, take a look here:

Arlo Pro - 1.092.0.17_25364 - 26th September 2018

Arlo Pro 2 - 1.125.11.1_25366 - 26th September 2018

JamesC

Smarks
Star
Star

Happy to hear this but why does this release say August 12th?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Smarks,

Typo, thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed now.

JamesC

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Here are the versions that everyone will be updated to:

Gen 3 and Gen 4 Base Station  1.10.0.9.23037
Camera VMC4030 (Arlo Pro) 1.092.0.17_25364
Camera VMC4030P (Arlo Pro2) 1.125.11.1_25366

edit: I see the typo now

LUser1526
Guide
Guide

cross fingers that everything will be ok now with the battery drain issue. actually, last week I rebooted the whole base station and that actually seemed to help the problem. battery only drained 1-2% per day after that. hopefully this new update makes the drain issue never happen again...

Rosety71
Guide
Guide
andremuraro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, Is there an update for this issue? I've been recharging the battery of my Arlo cameras almost once a week. This is not acceptable

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@andremuraro wrote:

Hi, Is there an update for this issue? I've been recharging the battery of my Arlo cameras almost once a week. This is not acceptable

Yes, issue resolved. See posts #133 and #136 above.

andremuraro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to know when the camera was updated? I just checked and they are running already with the updated firmware, but I still see battery drain issue. Last night one of the cameras had 64% battery life, and now 61%. The camera has not even recorded anything. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There is no way to tell when it updated. Assume that the 3% drop happened before the update and just keep an eye on things for the next couple of days. Restarting the base after updates doesn't hurt either, just to make sure everything is applied corrcetly with a fresh boot up.

Bt4run99
Star
Star
Well it’s been a little over a week, fingers crossed 🤞 so far my batteries have been doing a lot better.
BGPunggol
Guide
Guide
I agree. Started at 97% after the firmware upgrade and now after 1 week of normal usage battery (avg 4-5 25s video) still holding at 94%. This firmware may finally resolve all the frustrations we have with Arlo. However, I'll see how far this firmware will take us before making my decision whether this drainage issue is truely resolved.
harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Finally, 1 week and Batteries are still on 100%. This is how they were when I bought them in February 2017. Signal has also improved, like it was before.

Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice

5 DAYS AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE AND CHARGING BATTERIES T0 100%.

ALL CAMERAS STILL AT 100% 

COMPARE TO 3% PER DAY LOSS PRIOR TO  FIRMWARE UPDATE.

THANK YOU!!

Stunew78
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agree. A big thank you to the Arlo team for finally resolving this issue. @JamesC
It was a frustrating few months, but we are now back in track with a system I can be proud to own, and recommend again.
Phr8
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a severe battery drain as well. What good are the cameras if you disable them??
Phr8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Great. Where is the fix. Has the testing been completed after 4 months??
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Phr8,

The Arlo Pro received a new firmware update two weeks ago, which fixes the battery drain issue. If you did not receive the update, you can go to Settings > My Devices in the Arlo app, and from there choose to install the new update. 

For information on this release, take a look here:

Arlo Pro - 1.092.0.17_25364 -26th September 2018