Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Johnsond28
Initiate
Initiate
After updating to iOS 15, my wife’s geofencing no longer works. On her phone even tho it’s working on mine. I find She needs to open the app and then it figures out her locations has changed. Arlo is there going to be a fix for this ?
Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback. Arlo is working with Apple to address the issue you are experiencing with iOS 15 and Geofencing. We will provide updates/resolution as they come up. This issue has been previously reported and it should be fixed with a subsequent release from Apple.

Thank you

39 REPLIES 39
Ital06
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had camera setup with two iPhones using Geofencing for a number of years and although not 100% accurate all the time the vast majority of time it worked really well. Since updating both iphones to ios15 geofencing no longer works and although there's been arlo app updates and ios updates (15.1) the problem hasn't been resolved. You can get it to register if the app is sometimes opened but that doesn't always work either. I'm now considering ripping out the solution and purchasing another manufacturers camera solution. A reall shame that this function no longer works and that Arlo hasn't communicated about the issue so there's many frustrated Arlo owners like me looking at going elsewhere!

Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
I have 2 devices (mine and wife) and it always shows that my wifes (Iphone ISO 15.1) is "Away" even when she is at home or in range. We have Rebooted phones and Arlo. Removed my phone and her phone from the Geofence (Unchecked the box) and then went back in and selected them again. It still shows her phone away and the alarm is on. When I get in range, it disarms like it should. But the Iphone always shows "Away".
It was working pretty good up until about a week or 2 ago.
Thanks
Rdrnr03
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have been having issues with the geofencing since the IOS 15 update. 

While in geofencing mode Arlo will not arm or disarm until both phones open and close the app. 

I have been though all forums in this page and tried everything to see if it worked , but still having same issues. 

I should not have to open and close app to get my cameras to arm and disarm. 

Geofencing was working fine on IOS 14. There has to be a fix fir this problem. 

Stephan580
Aspirant
Aspirant

Used to fine until latest iOS update, now you have to open the app for the geofencing to detect where you are and change the mode. Anyone else go this

ZacEv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Both devices running iOS 15.2, main device is fine, when I leave location it arms, 2nd device sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. Mostly doesn’t.

Support keeping sending me the same links, checked settings over and over. Seen older posts with the same issues but doesn’t seem to be resolved!

Any help appreciated before I go buy more cameras…
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Likely you've already covered this ground, but just in case:

1. Have you tried setting the radius to large?
  2. The app does need to be logged in on both devices, and you might also want to make sure it is allowed to run in the background.
ZacEv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Appreciate the reply. Yeah tried making the area larger.

I think it has something to do with it running in the background. Had it today with mine. It would only set when I opened the app. But then sometimes it works without. I seen people say it’s when you’ve been i to the app within a certain time period.

What specifically do you mean by allowing it to run in the background?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@ZacEv wrote:
Appreciate the reply. Yeah tried making the area larger.

I think it has something to do with it running in the background. Had it today with mine. It would only set when I opened the app. But then sometimes it works without. I seen people say it’s when you’ve been i to the app within a certain time period.

What specifically do you mean by allowing it to run in the background?

If you go into the iphone settings, and then select the Arlo app, there is a setting for "background app refresh" that should be set.  Of course Arlo also needs to be able to use cellular data, as the wifi won't reliably reach when you leave the geofencing radius.

Low power mode could also get in the way (since it will further constrain what can run).  You could try disabling that (General->battery in the iphone settings).  

ZacEv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thought you meant that but just wanted to check. Yeah that’s all set and the phone never goes anywhere near low power mode.

Seems to be either a bug in the app or an issue with the latest version of iOS?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZacEv wrote:
Thought you meant that but just wanted to check. Yeah that’s all set and the phone never goes anywhere near low power mode.

Seems to be either a bug in the app or an issue with the latest version of iOS?

Could well be.  Its a feature that has had a lot of issues over the years.

Palings
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ho everyone, my wife and I are using the latest version of the Arlo app on iPhone13. On my wife’s iPhone, the session expires after a few days. Mine doesn’t, but I use the app at least once a week. My wife doesn’t. Is there a way to prevent my wife’s iPhone to end the session, without having to open it every couple of days? The problem is the geofencing doesn’t work correctly, since the hub thinks she’s at home when her session has been expired. If not, it would help to set her status to “away” when the session expired in stead of “home”. That way the camera’s will turn on, while she might be at home, which is s lot better then staying off when she might be away. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!
MikeWL
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I leave the house the system activates even though there is someone else still at home with an enabled device.  I read on one of the forums that the app needs to stay open at all times for Geofencing to work.  Is this correct?

Dannybear
Master
Master
Geofencing has never been able to work reliably for me is my experience. I have to manually set the mode when when leaving and entering the property.

The arlo app has a run in background feature which is supposed to work but Arlo’s response has always been that the app needs to be open for it to work geofencing, I have found that this neither works.
The best I have had was it would work for a day then stops.
LOC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
I’m having issues with geofencing often not picking up I am within specified location to disarm
Works sometimes and not others
Using an up to date IPhone 13 Pro, app always running in background, all settings turned on, incl send geofencing data
Any ideas to help please? I’m getting hundreds of recordings/notifications
Dannybear
Master
Master
Same for me since getting arlo years ago. Google home geofencing works fine so it’s not the phone. When it does work it takes 3km distance to register outside the small zone.