Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
aripa
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo Pro camera is giving me this message(There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server) when I try to view live video through my web browser. On my phone using the app it just doesn't connect(show the rotating busy icon) and I am not getting any of the recordings during motion detection. It appears to be recording because I am still getting notifications on my phone when it detects motion. I've tried restarting the base station. I have also tried removing my camera as a device from the base station. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

On Friday 4/19/19 we released firmware for base station models – VMB4000, VMB3500 and VMB3000. Some customers have reported seeing error messages when live streaming and issues receiving motion recordings. Due to these reports, we are rolling back this release to the previous firmware version (1.12.0.1_27940) while we investigate these issues.

If you begin experiencing one or more of these symptoms, please power cycle your base station and confirm that your firmware has reverted to v1.12.0.1_27940 – found under Device settings. To power cycle, choose the ‘restart’ option under your Device settings within the Arlo app or by unplugging and re-plugging power to your base station.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you are still experiencing these issues.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

View solution in original post

101 REPLIES 101
adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo is no longer recording to my library . LIVE view failures where error shows "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server". 

I called support and it was mentioned Arlo having internal infra issues on the backend.

If my Arlo are no longer recording, this is a security loop hole.. Not good for customers...

jfritsch
Tutor
Tutor

Having the same problems and can't get through to support. Thank you for posting you called them and what's happening! Really irritating and definitly a problem!!!

abebaby24
Guide
Guide

same here. the first tech couldnt help and am waiting for someone to call.  surprised there is only complaints

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any updates Arlo team?? 

I never recieved a call back from your Escalation team as promised...

Your support team said the issue should heal itself after 2-3 hours at max. The issue is still happening after 6 hours!

I cannot view my LIVE feed nor does it record anything!!

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

My support tickets are here...

Arlo Case#40826156
(Antonette R) Escalated ticket#40826064

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

I finally got it to work. Both LIVE view and recording back again to the Library.

I think it could be issues with some antivirus signatures, IDS, etc that was filtering Arlo traffic going out. I did not take any packet captures on my side to verify this since it got resolved AFTER I disable AV, IDS and Spyware protection on my gateway firewall. 

Fail steps recommended by Arlo tech-

1. Turn off Arlo hub

2. Turn of Firewall router

3. Wait for 1 minute and turn back on Firewall router and Arlo hub

4. Issue did not get resolved..

Success steps I took-

1. Turn off Arlo hub

2. Turn off Firewall router

3. Wait for 1 minute and turn back on Firewall router

4. Disable AV, IDS and Spyware protection which is enabled on my Firewall router

5. Turn back on Arlo Hub

6. Issue resolved. LIVE view is working. Recording to the library is working.

I will continue to monitor and turn back on my AV, IDS and Spyware to see if issue re-surface

jfritsch
Tutor
Tutor

I will try that, thank you!

Detective25
Aspirant
Aspirant
My fiancé called about our cameras no longer recording today. They told her it would be fixed in 2 hours. We called back 3 hours later and they said it can take 24-48hrs for this problem to be fixed.

May I add... We were robbed last week, so we got these cameras. They have only been installed for two days. We have been without working cameras 24hrs of those 2 days. It seems like Arlo’s software goes down often from reviews?
jfritsch
Tutor
Tutor

I just went and followed the steps above with the firewall and problem has been fixed. We've had the cameras for several months and just starting having a problem. After turning off the firewall and restarting the hub, everything is back to working great again. Which makes sense as we just bought a new desktop so the trial anti virus protection that came installed is what was stopping the recording and live feed from happening. Check your spyware/antivirus settings as I bet that's the problem you are having as well. Other than this issue, we love the Arlo cameras!!

Gustouk
Tutor
Tutor
Can’t view live stream after update I’ve tried everything
It detects motion in settings but that’s all
Dannybear
Master
Master
@Gustouk

Regards the issue you have, when did the issue first occur?
Gustouk
Tutor
Tutor
All fixed now some how the internet plug is funny on the base station so after trying everything I sat it all down and just kept resetting unplugging plugging in and then I noticed if I wiggle the internet lead it came back on
Even tho all lights have been green all the time
So very strange
Problem solved I hope
VikasA
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having issues connecting to my camera from my Arlo app on iPhone. Cannot go live...keep saying connecting but times out.
From my laptop login .. going live ...says media server connection error.
It was working till couple of days back. Tried all possible add/remove/reboot no luck.
Anyone or Netgear has any suggestions? Thanks
Zaghini
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue as of April 19 2019. I can connect to look at old recordings but can not get live view on any of my cameras. I don't have antivirus on my phone so thats not blocking my stream. I allready rebooted base station and it didn't work.
adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is not AntiVirus on the Phone or PC you want to worry about. If you have a firewall/router on your network that has gateway AntiVirus/Spyware/IDS, etc.., disable that and follow the steps again. Your Arlo base station is likely having communication issues going out to the internet.

piedmoose
Star
Star

I'm having similar issues.  Library last recording was 12:41 AM yesterday.  Was getting notifications on my phone regularly, but the library showed no activity, nor could I connect to any of the cameras.  Since I have rebooted my router and the base station multiple times, and am no longer getting motion notifications and am unable to connect to any of the cameras.  This has been working fine for a while.

piedmoose
Star
Star

Correction:  I am getting notifications from the cameras, but nothing in the library, nor can I connect to the video for them.  I tried doing an online chat with support, but gave up after 5 minutes of waiting.

alyssabc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two Arlo Pro cameras and both were working fine until yesterday, when both stopped working entirely (no notices for movement despite being armed, cannot connect to live feed, not recording anything to the library). Whenever I try to connect it says "Camera failed to connect. Please try again." We get this message on all apps and cannot view the live stream online either. I have turned off the power to the base station, unplugged and replugged the ethernet, uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone, removed all devices and reinstalled them and am getting the same issue. Super frustrating as we've had this system for less than two months - seems we should have purchased a different product.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can always open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

LawnMM
Star
Star

Sure would be nice if when they screwed something up or had a hardware issue on their end they'd just admit it and tell everybody they're working on it, wouldn't it?

I feel bad for the new folks being told to reset their base station and turn off settings on their router, as if those settings spontaneously changed overnight that were working yesterday?

This is another example of Arlo having an issue and not admitting any of it is their problem to deal with, it must be all of us with systems that worked fine yesterday that somehow screwed something up in our sleep.

abarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo camera is just began giving the same message: There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server) when I try to view live video through my web browser.  The camera system has been working without any issues since I installed it over 1 1/2 years ago. I have tried syncing the cameras and resetting the base, but the issue is not resolved. Did something happen with Arlo in the last day or so?

Renatokcossi
Initiate
Initiate
Since last 19th April Arlo cameras stopped recording and also showing live videos. I already contacted support and did all reboot requested. Still not working.
Arlo team, please say something!!!
SecGuy
Guide
Guide
Same issue here. Has not worked since April 19th update.
JeanID
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with the same message. Seems to have started within the last 5 hours.  Tried rebooting the base station and restarting the cameras, but no luck.  Motion is not being detected at all.