Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo is Illegal in Massachusetts - Disable Sound Recording

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Lstudio
Star
Star

I think it’s a stupid law, but it’s actually illegal in Massachusetts for home security cameras to record sound as it falls under wiretapping regulations. Netgear should inform customers of this and in order to continue selling Arlos in Massachusetts, should offer a means for customers to either delete and/or disable sound recordings.

11 REPLIES 11
brh
Master
Master

@Lstudio

I don't know about Massachusetts, but in most places, if a person is commiting a burglary or home invasion, that law becomes irrelevent. Usually, it is to protect visitors to your home, especially in bedrooms.

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lstudio,

This can be done by disabling the microphone on your camera.

Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your camera > Audio settings > toggle Microphone off.

JamesC

Lstudio
Star
Star

This is not a good nor proper solution. I still want to be able to hear and communicate with th mic, but users should be able to disable only the recording of sounds aspect to them.

brh
Master
Master

@Lstudio

Double check the interpretation of the laws in your state. Ring, Skybell and other doorbell/camera/speaker units are all selling in your state.

Secondly, you can use the mic in Live view when no recording is goiung on, (unless you manually start recording). I believe you can set up rules to turn the mic on and off in the armed state, but still talk to the person in live view. Try it.

Brian

Ironhorse
Aspirant
Aspirant
Whats this about it being illegal in Massachusetts to have sound on my Arlo cameras!?Not going to happen. The audio only works one way on both my cameras with no outgoing voice only sound incoming. I refuse to obey this ludicrous law and want this corrected as its one of the main reasons i bought them in the first place..Any answers?
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Ironhorse

I guarantee Arlo didn't chnage anything on the cameras to comply with some ridiculous law, nor should they. Arlo is under no obligation to change their product to sell it in a particular location. The person buying it has the obligation and/or choice to follow the foolish law or not. Not to mention, there is no way Arlo is going to make a camera just for one state that are different from the rest of the country.

That said....... are you using an iPhone with iOS 11.3? If so, there is a know issue with the microphone on iOS 11.3, so you would have no outgoing voice, you can only hear. Arlo is aware and is working on coming up with a fix.

mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

So you'd like to disable audio in event-triggered recordings, but still be able to use it like an intercom in live view. The setting JamesC pointed you to is all-or-nothing.

You raise a good point about the law. We have similar state-level laws here in Australia which can allow for video surveillance but effectively prohibit or place more limitations on 'listening devices', and it may be an offence to have an Arlo record, say, a conversation between two visitors waiting at one's front door. But these laws tend to leave more open to interpretation than, say, traffic laws.

iseeyou2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's not illegal.

Look up the laws for "Reasonable expectation of privacy", and then you will understand why not only your local Walmart has tons of cams, but also Logan and your local streets.

Click

TonyRrrrrr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does intent come into play? If 2 people are having a conversation in my driveway and they get recorded, and it was not my intent to record their conversation, is it still illegal?
harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is no expectation of privacy standing in someones yard. These statues are refering to Police Investigations and wire tapping. That's why the first 3 paragraphs are talking about organized crime. "Secret use of such devices" are refering to equipment used in wire tapping by law enforcement which requires a judges signature. A camera installed on your house pointing at someone is not a secret. If you are worried, post a sign saying "You are under audio and video surveillance" and then it is no secret and the statue would not apply.