Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo detects and records every car that drives but doesn't detect my own car

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Colin123
Guide
Guide

My arlo detects and records every car that drives on my street even just a brief glimpse of it, but never detects my own car parked in the driveway right in full view of the camera. It records me walking up to or from the car but never sees it leave or arrive. Someone could steal my car and I would not have a record of it. My car is white, would that have something to do with it? Why does it not notice a station wagon moving right in full view? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Colin123
Guide
Guide

It's recording vehicles driving by. A black truck, but then did not record a white van, then I drove by and it did not record that. it did not record me approaching my house and driveway but did record me getting out of the car. I don't know, it's weird, I'll keep checking. It might be a combination of the white car, reflections and shadows from trees. I'll do some more test drives at night to see if it's different. Otherwise it records everything else just fine like the mailman, passing cars etc. 

Thanks for your help Stephen. If you think of anything else please let me know.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Colin123
Guide
Guide

I moved the camera closer to the car, then drove away, drove up and down my street, parked the car then left, came back and none of it was recorded. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Colin123 wrote:

I moved the camera closer to the car, then drove away, drove up and down my street, parked the car then left, came back and none of it was recorded. 

Is the camera positioned so that the motion of the car is side-to-side in the field of view?

Are you seeing any recordings from the camera?

Colin123
Guide
Guide

It used to be a side view of the car so it should have seen side to side motion but where I moved it to is more head on, so not anymore. No recordings 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Colin123 wrote:

It used to be a side view of the car so it should have seen side to side motion but where I moved it to is more head on, so not anymore. No recordings 

Ok.  Have you tried the motion detection test?  Try it close to the camera, and then move back to the area where the car normally is.  https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

Colin123
Guide
Guide

It's recording vehicles driving by. A black truck, but then did not record a white van, then I drove by and it did not record that. it did not record me approaching my house and driveway but did record me getting out of the car. I don't know, it's weird, I'll keep checking. It might be a combination of the white car, reflections and shadows from trees. I'll do some more test drives at night to see if it's different. Otherwise it records everything else just fine like the mailman, passing cars etc. 

Thanks for your help Stephen. If you think of anything else please let me know.  

Colin123
Guide
Guide

I believe I know why this is. There seems to be a delay from time motion is detected and recording starts. That's why I often see the rear of a car drive by and not the whole car. So when I go to move my car it senses the motion but by the time it starts to record, me and my car are already gone and I get a recording of my empty driveway. Same with arriving, it senses me arriving but only starts to record after I have parked and am getting out.  I'm not too worried about this though as it will record someone snooping around my car if they are there long enough. I don't know if there is a way to fix the delay, maybe there is something in the settings.