Arlo base station VMB4000

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
woods_water
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station does not have any internet. I've narrowed it down to the box, i've used the same ethernet cable to my laptop so that eliminates everything but the box. I've tried all the troubleshooting and no success. So I think I need a new base station. what is the better option pro or ultra? Since i'm changing boxes will I need a subscription to save recordings or since I'm still using pro cameras that service will remain free?

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@woods_water wrote:

Since i'm changing boxes will I need a subscription to save recordings or since I'm still using pro cameras that service will remain free?

It remains free.

@woods_water wrote:

what is the better option pro or ultra?

VMB4540

• is $99 USD
  • is only single band (2.4 ghz)
  • has a USB port on the back for storage

VMB5000

• is $149 USD
  • is dual band (2.4 ghz/5 ghz)
  • has a microSD slot underneath for storage

Your existing cameras are 2.4 ghz only, so the 5 Ghz band in the VMB5000 doesn't benefit you.  (And since 2.4 ghz has more range, it generally will end up used by the outdoor cameras even when they have 5 ghz wifi).

So unless you really want the microSD slot, you might as well get the less expensive base.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It is also possible that the base station is working fine and your arlo account needs resetting.

What trouble shooting steps were taken?

Many users have reported offline status in the app but equipment still operates.

woods_water
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done the factory reset on base station by holding it in 10 seconds. My issue is the internet light on the base station does not show up at all. I've hooked it straight to my router and also a network switch, with the network switch it stays yellow which means that it does not recognize a device connected. When it sees a device it turns green. I've changed cords and nothing changes. I dont really think that resetting my account is going to fix the issue, I'm pretty sure I have a hardware issue with base station. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@woods_water wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have a hardware issue with base station. 

On my switches, there is no LED lit on the switch when nothing is detected on the port.  The yellow LED means it is detecting a fast ethernet (100 megabit) connection - not gigabit.  Which is expected.

Did you look in the router's attached device list, and see if you can find the base there?

woods_water
Aspirant
Aspirant

Powered the base station back on and hooked up to my internet and it shows connected to my router but still devices showing offline. I'm not home right now but I'm sure the internet light on base station is still out. I'll check and report when I get home. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@woods_water wrote:

Powered the base station back on and hooked up to my internet and it shows connected to my router 

So the ethernet is working ok.  Is the base showing up in your account, or is the base showing as off-line???

These are Pro/Pro2 cameras?  

woods_water
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the pro cameras. Got home last night and it has started back working. Didn't change anything, just powered the unit off for 12 hours and come to back itself. Not sure what must have went on. My internet was not the issue because I know it works because I was able to stream. But all is good now we will see how long it last.