Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lcolbourne
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I purchse this unit with the understanding that it was wifi only and did not need to be hard wired into a computer. Help, because step two was hooking it up to my router

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Only the base needs to be connected to the router (not a computer). If that's not what you want, you can use either an Arlo Q camera or check out IP cameras.

Why is hooking the base to the router an issue?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hooking the base to your router is just a matter of using an empty port in the rear and plugging in the cable to it and then to the base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
lcolbourne
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know how to hook up the cords, it's not rocket science

lcolbourne
Aspirant
Aspirant

We need the camera(s) set up in a barn, that is some distance from the hosue and computer/router.

We have wifi booster from the house to the barn area, but no hardwired internet access.

I purcahse this with the salesmans knowledge that the cameras talk via wifi to the base and te base was plugged into an electrical socket. No mention of needing a router was mentioned (and since I'm not a techy, I didn't ask),

I did purchase another wifi booster. So perhaps the base can be hardwired into that, at the abrn and we will be able to view the cameras on our smart phones and house computer.

I also just strolled on down to the barn with the camera in hand, and the picture wasn't too grainy, daughter could view it on her hone at her house (half way between my house and the barn)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The use of a WiFi extender to allow mounting the base in the barn is the best solution. However, if you can get good signal between the base and cameras without the extender, that could be the best solution since it's simplest.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

lcolbourne wrote:

I know how to hook up the cords, it's not rocket science

If you had been clear, I would not have stated the answer that way....

The system must be hooked into the internet via an ethernet port.. you can run etherenet cable to a max or 100m ( 300ft ) without problems or use an extender as mentioned...

If you go with an extender, you may ( for your setup ) want to go with an AP/entender that can use a directional antenna to get max signal out in the barn area from you home router.

Good luck

Morse is faster than texting!