Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro wire free base station crashes Asus RT-AC66U when connected

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
treyneal
Tutor
Tutor

Model is actually VMS4130 but the system wouldn't accept that. 

Connected Arlo Pro base station to my Asus RT-AC66U router and it completely crashed the router. Immediately knocked off wifi and required a complete reset of the router.  Attempted to connect again with the same result.  Firmware is up-to-date on the router but I'm now concerned about trying again. I'm open to suggestions on troubleshooting.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It shouldn't crash the router. It's simply another device that connects to your network. The easy thing to do is to swap the system at the store since it seems to be a hardware problem.
Slagish
Star
Star
Is there a fix for this issue? Because the same thing just happened to me. I have a Asud RT-AC88u and it keep crashing the network. I just got the Arlo Pro Cams and it worked decently for an hour or two.
treyneal
Tutor
Tutor
I've got another of the same Arlo unit to try and connect but I'm a bit apprehensive given I had to completely reconstruct my network when this happened the first time. I've not seen any definitive solution as yet.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Connecting the Arlo Pro base station to your router should not crash your network. If you're still seeing this behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

treyneal
Tutor
Tutor

So I finally managed to get the router and the base station to work together - I have my wireless network running and the base station is showing green LEDs. So now I try to discover the base station from both the mobile app (iPhone) and from my computer.  No luck with either. Unplugged ethernet, restarted everything and try again, no joy.  So I did a reset on the base station and still nothing.  No base station discovery.  I'm about ready to try a different vendor as this one is clearly troublesome.

treyneal
Tutor
Tutor

So far what I've managed to do is to get them to almost work together. I have wifi and the base station connected and powered up but now I cannot connect to the base station. Been through all the solutions offered by Netgear technical support to no avail. Spent almost an hour on a chat session and the last thing was to power cycle my entire network (sounds a bit like the Microsoft Ctrl-Alt-Del methodology) and as I expected no luck.  Now chat isn't available so this unit might go back to where it came from.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Have you tried connecting both using a device on your WiFi as well as with a wired connection (Ethernet)? Neither should be an issue but...

What did you end up doing that resolved your initial issues?