Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro will not hold a charge

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

The brand new Arlo pro is not holding a charge. I charged it yesterday to 100% but within a few hours the unit went off line. This morning i went to check the charge and it was at 10%. As soon as i plugged the charger into it the unit went back on line.

Is the battery defective?

22 REPLIES 22
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like it... contact Netgear or purchase location

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

I charged the device to 100% and for 1-1/2 hours it was connected and working fine on line. Then it went off line again. Nothing else changed and it was connected through the wireless.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Roostertime wrote:

I charged the device to 100% and for 1-1/2 hours it was connected and working fine on line. Then it went off line again. Nothing else changed and it was connected through the wireless.

But was the battery dead or depleted... we're talking two different problems.

Morse is faster than texting!
Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

it does not look like a charging problem as the first time it does appear that the device may have been low on battery charge but the second attempt to connect the battery was clearly charged enough. i have it at 100%, indoors and connected near the base. I am monitoring it. not sure if it could be a firmware update issue

macmike
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have problem with that.  It can be camera or battery problem.  I will provide "high" level (skip other details such as checking firmware, internet connectivities checks....).

Before doing below, make sure "firmware" is up to date (or upgrade it to the latest version).

Let's say:

cameraA and battery1 has problem.

cameraB and battery2 is working.

To isolate,  switch batteries between two camera.

So it looks like this;

cameraA with battery2

cameraB with battery1.

Then observe to see which one does have problem.

If CameraA with battery2 encounter problem, then it might be camera issue (drain batter to fast due to certain conditions(bugs)?)

If CameraB with battery1 encounter problem, then it might be battery issue.

In order for Netgear to replace the "bad" camera or battery, you will need to log a ticket.   In my case, the same camera causing battery and I am still waiting for the "next step" as they will "call" or "emal" you (and not thru support interface).

advice: I had to make calls with netgear on this for 3 times so far and doing same excericse multiple times.  Make sure you tried to capture the summary and update to ticket.  THe support will try to go thru "script" and ask you to do those.  But in the support ticket, it does not capture the steps they asked you to do,  If you call again and different support answers (which is most likely), then they will work with you from begining (as described by their script).

Hope that helps you and help to get yours working soon.  

Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

All of my camera's are the regular Arlo battery versions. I only have one Arlo Pro with the rechargable battery that is the issue. I took the device and put it right next to the base unit. It has been working since last night and has stayed on line the whole time.

i cannot figure out how to update the firmware.

macmike
Aspirant
Aspirant

I upgraded my firmware when I setup the devices.  You can check the firmware (if there are anyupdates) by going:

alro apps -> devices -> settings -> device info -> firmware

Not sure if it will let you upgrade firmware there(as  my current shows "no updates available).  My current firmware version is 1.090.0.0_9445.

Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

i confirmed that my firmware number is the same as yours so i believe it is updated

Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have kept the Arlo Pro inside but within a few feet of where it will be placed outside. It has held the charge for the three days so i do not believe it is a battery issue. The signal strength is full so it should not be a signal issue. I am planning on placing it back outside. The temperature is in the 30's so i am not sure if that would be an issue.

once outside the device shows full 3 bars on the wifi signal stregth meter. It is working fine and i can look at the camera through my computer.

I just stepped outside and the camera regestered my motion so it is working fine. Time is 7:45. One hour later the device goes off line. It appears to be a bad device and unless someone can explain what is going on with it i will have to return the device to the store.

very disapointed in the performance of the device.

Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

outside temperature is 36 degrees.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not the temp, it's something about the connection to the base.  It could be interference or a bad device (base or camera).  Swap cameras to see if the issue follows the camera or remains with the position.

Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

i did swap camera's and the regular Arlo works fine. I had it in the same spot for a month without once having an issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No second Pro camera? That's what I was referring to when swapping.
Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

no second Pro camera all of the other camera's are regular Arlo's

Kworthy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem. I have one arlo pro camera and 3 regular arlo cameras. No issues with the regular cameras but the arlo pro camera goes out every day. I contacted neatgear support and they suggested I change the channel on my base but I have to go through the manufacturer to do that..I think it may just be the connection. I have fiber internet which is super fast but there may be a "dead spot" where i am trying to put the camera. I have no issue with the regular arlo cameras when putting them in the same spot. I will try to get another battery and if that does not work get the signal extender.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can swap cameras to see if the Pro works in another location.  Also, the extender won't do a thing unless you're using it to relocate the base to a more central location.  The WiFi between the base and cameras cannot be extended.

Akacoons
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same problem with one of my Arlo Pro cameras. I bought the 4 pack and only one is having the issue. Have had to charge it 3 times in the last few days. Once charged it stays connected for a little while and then loses connection. I'll try swapping batteries and report back.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I too am having the same problem with one of my cameras.  Fully charged it for the first time 4 days ago and now it is at 40%.  The rechargeable battery should reach a linear state when discharging but it blew right threw that with a total of 23 45 second clips with a setting of optimal video.

Timothy1108
Tutor
Tutor
This is my exact situation. I have a 3 camera system and this happened to me. It took 20 attempts to get the 3rd camera to sync. Once it was configured the batter drain issue started. I will charge it to 100% and in 2-3 hours it is dead and offline. I replaced this specific camera and am having similar issues. That makes me think something bigger with the system and 3rd cameras is to blame
Akacoons
Initiate
Initiate
I tried a couple things this last week with my camera system. First I swapped places with the troubled camera and another one that has worked fine. Thinking maybe it was a location/signal issue. Nope, the problem continued with the same camera in a different location. It lasted about a day then went offline. Don't think it's a signal issue.
The moment I realized it was offline I rebooted the camera by taking out and replacing the battery. The battery life was at about 95%. I decided to charge it to full capacity anyways.
I then put the camera back in place and it worked fine until the next afternoon. I wasn't able to manually check it until that night. At which point it had been offline for about 7 hours.
I then reset it by taking the battery out. When I put it back in the battery was completely dead. Which makes me think it used up the entire battery by trying to search for the base signal for those 7 hours.
I then tried swapping batteries with another. But the problem remained with the camera.
I will be contacting Netgear support tomorrow for a replacement.
bengler1951
Guide
Guide

Welcome to the crowd.  I just bought my system Feb 16th, 2017  two batteries never get above 80 percent and they die right away. I put them in the other two cameras, and the same thing.  Calling Customer Service is a joke.  They cannot speak English, nor understand that I need two batteries, not another camera.  They are trying to get me to send a camera back.  I retested the same cameras all together after they were all charged over night. I took them placed them all side by side on a table upstairs in our living room.  The cameras were all pointed the same direction.  Two of the batteries barely showed 80 percent, one showed 100 percent and one showed 95 percent, after charging them all over 24 hours.

Since the cameras all saw the same thing, acted the same way, the cameras all worked great.  By switching the batteries around, the same two batteries would not fully charge in the other two cameras.  Now how simple is it to deduct that I need two new batteries, and not a new camera.

To top it off, they want me to pay for return shipping to them.  I bought the box of 4 Arlo Pro cameras with base for 699.99 plus 7.50 percent tax at Best Buy.  Best Buy said to contact Netgear, Netgear told me to ship the batteries back at my expense and then they would replace them.  How wonderful is their Quality Control.  I bought the first set of Arlo wireless cameras about 2.5 years ago. Loved them, but the batteries did not last.  They supposedly make a better system and then won't stand behind a warranty without payment. Oh, and it also says if they do not receive your item in a few days they will charge you an additional 20.00 plus other costs.  They also want a Credit Card number so if they find it not faulty, they can charge you.  Netgear use to be Great, Now it sucks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bengler1951,

I have reviewed your case and it appears this issue has been resolved via RMA. Please let us know if there is any additional assistance required.

Thank you,

JamesC