Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
tsheff
Guide
Guide

I have my cameras set up and they are functioning but I can only view Live video on the mobile app. If I log into my account on my computer, I get a "connection failed" message when I try to watch live video. Is there something in the settings that would cause this to happen?

62 REPLIES 62
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes...more than likely FLASH issue... Try another browser

Chrome update the other day turned it off, some browser need to have it toggled on

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
tsheff
Guide
Guide

I have tried IE, Chrome and Firefox. I updated my Flash player also and it still won't connect to show live video.

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary

Try restarting the base unit.  Or, you don't mention if you used the different browsers on the same PC or not, I assume the same, so it might be a firewall or anti virus issue.  

raaze17
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issue, I can only view the live feed from the app on my iPhone.  I tried using Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari, and none of them are working.  This really limits the usefullness of the system for me...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since live view requires Flash, have you enabled it in any browser? Recent updates of most (all?) browsers have Flash disabled.

raaze17
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, Flash is enabled, still won't make the connection...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It might be worth going here to verify proper Flash operation:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

It may also be possible that your security software (firewall, anti-virus/malware) could have an issue. Have you tried a different computer?

raaze17
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I've tried two different computers, my Macbook at home and my laptop at work.  Same thing happens to both.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

At this point, all I can think of is to try that link I posted above. Maybe The Flash settings aren't set to allow arlo.netgear.com to access Flash. Otherwise I can't explain it. You can open a case with support here by using the Contact Support link at the bottom of these pages to see what they can provide. 

If you fix it, let us know how.

raaze17
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the help.  I used the link to check and I'm using the current version of Flash and it's enabled in all of the browsers I'm working with.

TCW
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem.. Did anyone get this issue resolved.  Just won't work from a PC. 

Thanks! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you verified Flash is enabled in your browser(s)?

raaze17
Tutor
Tutor

I gave up, Arlo support was zero help.  I can watch from my phone, but that's it, no PC or Mac visibility.  I thought about returning my cameras because of this but I kept them since it at least works on my phone.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You didn't answer my question about Flash being enabled in your browsers. Recent updates to virtually all browsers default to Flash being disabled. You have to turn it back on, at least for Arlo.

raaze17
Tutor
Tutor

I didn't think you were talking to me.  But in case you were, yes, Flash is enabled, both at work and at home.  Nothing that was recommended made a bit of difference.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Odd.  What OS and browsers?  Work may be an issue if IT has blocked ports/access - it's been a problem reported here before. Home shouldn't be a problem. Does the phone work ok on both cell and WiFi at both locations?

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue. 

I wish ARLO/Netgear would come up with a solution to this.

My sole intent with this system was to be able to view live feed from a desktop computer.

Unless you have an unlimited data plan on your mobile device, streaming is not feasable.

RobotPsykolog
Tutor
Tutor

I bought my cameras 18 december 2017. Since then, I have had a support case at Netgear. Now they camed back with the conclusion. No, nothing wrong on their side, they cannot replicate the error and for sure, something wrong with the flash plugin! I have told them there is threads on there forum about this problem that is over two years old, but they havnt cared and now, they blame flash, AGAIN!

As a conclusion. Netgear is not interested to solve this issue for the users. I will return my cameras and I suggest other to do it to.

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

I agree with Netgear/Arlo that the problem likely is not on their side with the "connection failed" message.

What I don't agree with is that they have been no help to figure out what is causing this.

There seems to be a widespread issue with the FLASH player itself.

Netgear needs to change something on their end to have a more universal platform that is compatible with the end-user.

My UN-Expert opinion, from other threads that I have read, is that they need to move away from FLASH.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree that the Flash requirement needs to go away soon. However, there seem to be only a few folks having this issue leading to the conclusion that it's a local issue and not widespread. I can't speculate why it's happening to you since there's far too many variables but it's basically your problem to solve (and I'm not trying to sound mean). If it works for everyone else, something about your network and/or computer needs attention.

shaft75
Tutor
Tutor

Same thing is happening to me.  All browsers.  Can login but :connection failed on my devices.

It's a thing that is more than likely affecting all users.  Most people just use their phones.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

What's your upload, download, and ping through www.speedtest.net ?

shaft75
Tutor
Tutor
My connection is money. Wired into Comcast 1 gb download..

It’s not a connection issue, not a browser issue, not an equipment issue.

An issue none the less. Just google “arlo :connection failed”

Nobody has an answer for it.
TCW
Tutor
Tutor

I have yet to hear from anyone on this forum that is able to view the cameras from their PC so I am assuming that no one can view an arlo pro camera from their PC?  How do you talk to a live person at Netgear for the Arlo system?  I'm curious as to what Netgear support staff have to say.  My speed should be fine... between 5 - 15 mpbs. 

Thanks

TCW